Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mag case in a 200 degree parts washer ok?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Mag case in a 200 degree parts washer ok? Reply with quote

Wondering if its ok to put a mag case, one half at a time, in a parts washer that gets up to about 200 degrees F. It has a citrus type cleaner in it and has done very well with some aluminum parts before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

normal oil temps are 180ºF-210ºFand it's not considered hot until 230ºF, so you will be fine.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Glenn!.. didn't think about that.. really my only concern is that the case won't be bolted together.. just wondering if the heat will cause any warpage with it being split.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

risk wrote:
really my only concern is that the case won't be bolted together.. just wondering if the heat will cause any warpage with it being split.

I can't say100%, but I don't think so.... wait for others to post up.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
millerje78
Samba Amishman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

risk wrote:
Thanks Glenn!.. didn't think about that.. really my only concern is that the case won't be bolted together.. just wondering if the heat will cause any warpage with it being split.

oh goodness no, 200 F is perfectly safe, even with the case halved.

do your research, consult with experts, and buy quality parts. you won't be sorry
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet, i will post some before and after pics..

the engine was built about 20 years ago and has been sitting on the shelf ever since.. i split the case and the builder used some kind of heavy grease on the cam that had hardened over time.. what a mess.
turboblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mag case in a 200 degree parts washer ok? Reply with quote

risk wrote:
Wondering if its ok to put a mag case, one half at a time, in a parts washer that gets up to about 200 degrees F. It has a citrus type cleaner in it and has done very well with some aluminum parts before.

Be sure that solution is compatible with magnesium.

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Mag case in a 200 degree parts washer ok? Reply with quote

turboblue wrote:
risk wrote:

Be sure that solution is compatible with magnesium.

That's good advice- I recently cleaned a Solex carb in heated lemon juice and was shocked and dismayed to pull a very corroded carb out of the soup.
Damn near ruined the thing 'cause I was too dumb to do my homework.
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i put a magnesium timing gear i had laying around in the washer this morning.. pulled it out after about 45 minutes and it instantly formed a white coating.. uniform etch is what one guy called it. Didn't ruin the part, but made me nervous about the bearing surfaces and case parting line. Don't think i'll be putting the case in there.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Mag case in a 200 degree parts washer ok? Reply with quote

risk wrote:

No problem, thats what we use here for final cleaning prior to assembly.
Just ensure that you IMMEDIATELY remove the cleaner with fresh water after pulling the case out of the tank. If not it will discolor.

There are different detergents available, anything compliant with aluminum will be safe for magnesium as long as it it thoroughly rinsed afterward.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: