Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any carburetor recommendations for a 1973 bus, 1700cc?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Torourke6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 72 Westy with the single Weber kit and I have been trying to figure out the best set up. I have wrapped the intake pipes to try to keep some heat on them, and I have set up the heat riser to push some warm air to the carb. My mileage is about 15 around town and no better than 15 on the highway. I obviously don't know enough to mess with the jetting and am looking for suggestions for a trouble free system that I can apply without having to have an engineering degree. I see MAMW has a dual carb kit and I just do not know what would work. I live in VA and our weather is all over the place. I just did 400 miles from the Catskills in NY to home through the rain and had a lot of hesitation and stalling. I just need something that will get decent mileage and power when I need it.
bustedtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to run duel Dellorto carbs in a 71 bay that has a brake booster?
And if so where would you hook up the hose?
Thanks
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bustedtype2 wrote:
Is it possible to run duel Dellorto carbs in a 71 bay that has a brake booster?
And if so where would you hook up the hose?
Thanks

Not a Dell but you will get the idea.
thanks to aeromech
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tcash
bustedtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you
So I will have to tap into the manifold?
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I don't think there is a prefect fuel system for a bus. Single, dual, or FI. They all have their pluses and minuses. That said, installing FI on an early T4 powered bus is really pretty easy and may be easier than either a single or dual carb install. You would need to weld on a mounting bracket for the air cleaner and come up with a return for the fuel pump. Other than that its just 4 wires to splice or add to do the install.

Done right (which takes a lot of knowledge and can be a lot of work) the progressive seems to be able to give the best gas mileage and the same or better power than other systems. It has draw backs on running during cold rainy weather.

I think the single progressive has a lot of good points and it's disadvantages are often overstated and get repeated by some who don't have a lot of experience with them. I plan on having my original dual carbs rebuilt, but the success I have had with the progressive has made this less pressing. My setup is not perfect. I sometimes get hesitation off idle, but otherwise have good performance. I haven't really done any tweaking, other than to build a linkage that works well. I have found it to be reliable. I plan on installing an AFR gauge and using this setup as a sort of carburetor 101 class for myself.
67sash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Any carburetor recommendations for a 1973 bus, 1700cc? Reply with quote

Freshly rebuilt from Tim @ Volksbitz, might be willing to sell them, have to think on it for a bit....or receive a offer I cant refuse. They worked flawlessly and will continue to recommend Tim's work!

Have manifolds and linkage as well, all factory all in very good working condition.
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Here is the pic I failed to post a link to above. As I said, this does not work a well as the original VW system on 72-75 bus engines

That looks pretty awesome

Any thoughts on piping the hot air directly into the carb filter? i.e. if I drilled a hole in the top of the chrome filter, attached a bendy tube then connected that to the hot air port at the back of my '73 engine, would that heat the manifold enough? Or would the cold air from the sides of the filter still affect it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: