Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.9 WBX rebuild questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting, Steve. I'm glad to hear that you found your HF mics to be accurate. As for the standards being off well that is a bummer. These types of low priced tools seem to have a "hit or miss" reputation. Some good, some not so good.

I wasn't happy with the overall quality of my mic kit and returned it. Some of the standards were sloppy looking and were not easy to align inside the mics, and the case was junk. It wasn't the HF kit though. The 3 piece kit available at the local HF here is only accurate to .001" so useless for what we're doing. I'm going to buy a different kit locally soon. I'll still get a cheap kit but hopefully it will be a little nicer than the last one.

Many of the low and mid priced mics available from various vendors look identical except for their colors. So who knows maybe they're all made in the same factory. Many places are pretty good about accepting returns so at least that is a good thing.
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my HF micrometer set about 3 years ago when I rebuilt my Toyota V6 engine. The mic has the Cen-Tech logo and engraved with the marking 0.0001" together with the size of the mic. The current HF mic set looks exactly the same as mine but it is only a 0.001 set, 0.001" was engraved on the mic. I believe the 0.0001" set was less than $50 when I bought it.

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
what you need to check is the diametrical crush and the fit of the #1 flanges to the bearing saddles. There should be ~.002" interference on each.

OK, so after way too long I think I've finally understood what tencentlife said about checking the crush of the #1 flanges to the bearing saddles. It's amazing how things can just go right over your head sometimes. Unfortunately I haven't been able to measure them but I do have a couple of questions.

Since it is supposed to be an interference fit with the #1 flanges to the bearing saddles, does this mean that there should be some resistance when putting the #1 bearing into place? And if that's the case, then there should be no perceivable movement of the #1 bearing, correct?
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since it is supposed to be an interference fit with the #1 flanges to the bearing saddles, does this mean that there should be some resistance when putting the #1 bearing into place? And if that's the case, then there should be no perceivable movement of the #1 bearing, correct?

You've already answered your own question. All the main bearing saddle bores must be slightly smaller in diameter than the OD of the bearing. The thrust bearing saddle must be slightly wider than the width between the flanges of the bearing. So.....?

It should require firm hand pressure to push each large bearing into place (#4 doesn't need to be quite as tight); if you can push them in with just the push of one finger they are borderline loose, if they drop easily into place then the case needs to be align-bored .020" and larger mains used.

The word "crush" is a misnomer, the bearings' ID's will be reduced slightly by the case closing on them but the shells are not permanantly deformed, what they are is very firmly gripped by the case bores. That is what keeps them from spinning, not the dowel pins, the pins are just there so you index the bearings to the oiling holes.

But the thrust bearing flanges must clasp the saddles very tightly because the grip of the saddles is not adequate to prevent axial movement, especially with standard trans engines where there is direct axial force applied to the flywheel by clutching.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate you helping me check myself. From your description of the fit of the bearings in the saddles it looks like mine is borderline loose to trashed. 1 and 3 drop in without much pressure, but the #2 half shells are a tight fit. The thrust bearing flanges do not clasp the saddles tightly. With firm hand pressure the thrust does not move. I guess this is to be expected on a 1.9 approaching 100K.

One big mistake I made was that I did not take into account the difference in ID of the bearings when on the bench and when torqued down in the case. Unfortunately I destroyed my cylinder bore gauge in the process, it bottomed out and messed up the anvils. I guess that means that there is some crush going on but I don't know how much exactly.

10cent - I know that you've repeated a lot of these things over and over, and I really, really (REALLY) appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I started this rebuild thinking I could make this engine more reliable but now I'm seriously considering throwing in the towel. Don't want to end up stranded on the side of the road somewhere. I've learned a lot from you over the years, so thanks a ton.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: