Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

type 1 IRS with gear reductions project
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
vw_nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what I remember, the upper stub axle is held to the gear with a bolt & washer (bolt through the gear into hole drilled and tapped into the axle... it was one of the questionable parts of the setup but seemed to do fine.
tamir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: How can I setup Disk brake kit on the reduction box? Reply with quote

I have noticed that a few guys where able to install a Disk Brake on the Reduction box. So far all the suppliers I have called do not carry a Kit for it and they did not hear about anyone wanting to do that....

Any help or direction will be appreciated.

thanks,
T.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I setup Disk brake kit on the reduction box? Reply with quote

tamir wrote:
I have noticed that a few guys where able to install a Disk Brake on the Reduction box. So far all the suppliers I have called do not carry a Kit for it and they did not hear about anyone wanting to do that....

thanks,
T.

I have read that a Type 3 drum rear brake system will fit on a small nut RGB. Might check to see if there is a disc kit made for the T 3 that may work on the small nut RGB.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I setup Disk brake kit on the reduction box? Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
tamir wrote:

thanks,
T.

I have read that a Type 3 drum rear brake system will fit on a small nut RGB. Might check to see if there is a disc kit made for the T 3 that may work on the small nut RGB.

That is some great info to know...I am hoping that someone else might key in with more knowledge of this swap.
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're talking small nut reduction stuff, it's all the same as regular bug rear brakes. It's got the same 4 bolt flange and stub axle. The problem is a disk brake caliper and bracket hits the reduction box. You'll need to build a caliper mount, but it can definitely be done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tamir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: calliper mount plate for reduction gear box Reply with quote

I do not have the means to design and cut such a plate.

does anyone out there can help with that process (for fee)?

thanks,

T.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: calliper mount plate for reduction gear box Reply with quote

tamir wrote:
I do not have the means to design and cut such a plate.

does anyone out there can help with that process (for fee)?

thanks,

T.

I bought a set of brackets to adapt disc's to a thing front spindle from kubelmann. He may make a set for you.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=986381

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
tamir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I just emailed kubelmann for help.
Kix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, this is hot sweetness.

I am looking to swap the bus tranny with redux out of my 65 bajaghia, too bad I cant find anyone to do something like this.

Oh well, IRS here we come.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know if the 914 rear rotor hub spline is the same size to fit the type 3 axle.
vw_nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the setup survived another weekend at the nearby OHV park... though we did notice loose swing plate bolts on one side after we got it back up on the trailer. Here's a very short video from when he got it up onto a section of rock garden for a photo op. Wish I thought to record it from the beginning... maybe next time.

oh, not sure if I mentioned this before but this is large nut RGB, which is why he made hubs out of the old brake drums....

Link

earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a monster baja on e-bay right now with dual RGB's and IRS, it looks like a real hack job.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
There's a monster baja on e-bay right now with dual RGB's and IRS, it looks like a real hack job.

Casey

Can you state how it is listed? I searched but could not find it.

earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe
The item number is "220713286538"
I will post a link to the page but they will probably remove it...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volkswagen-Beetle-C...3363897bb7

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
Joe
The item number is "220713286538"
I will post a link to the page but they will probably remove it...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volkswagen-Beetle-C...3363897bb7

Casey

Holy Rat Snot Buttman!!!

rubsterob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha that thing looks pretty bad ass. only because its still a vw and not a bronco with a bug body
dspikes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Rgbs How much hp they take? Reply with quote

I know this is old post how did rgbs hold up? How much hp can they take?
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: rgb Reply with quote

Your right it's an old post but it is freakin excellent. I want to do that now, only on my 003 Idea
dspikes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Auto and rgbs Reply with quote

I have built a buggy using the 003 3 speed it worked great. I am gathering up parts to build one with subaru at transmission would not have to flip r/p using rgbs with 1.26 ratio & 3.9r/p total final drive 4.91 rear. Any reason it would not work?automatic should help on wheel hop? I am building complete frame with possibilty of awd. Thanks for any advice
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Auto and rgbs Reply with quote

dspikes wrote:
I have built a buggy using the 003 3 speed it worked great. I am gathering up parts to build one with subaru at transmission would not have to flip r/p using rgbs with 1.26 ratio & 3.9r/p total final drive 4.91 rear. Any reason it would not work?automatic should help on wheel hop? I am building complete frame with possibilty of awd. Thanks for any advice

Using RGB's at the wheel does require a reverse set up on the transmission do to only having two gears in the RGB that reverses rotation. So, yes on the Subaru Transmission, you can leave it stock.

As far as wheel hop, it is not the transmission that produces the wheel hop, it is the suspension design. In stock designed form, the RGB suspension wheel hops rather easily. John Johnson produced the No Hop set up to modify the rear suspension pivot points changing the design instant center and eliminated the wheel hop. If you will be making a suspension to use the RGB, you can design out the wheel hop.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: