Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

making toast in the Westy
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Typhon2222
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: making toast in the Westy Reply with quote

Being huge fans of toast, my wife and I are delighted to finally announce that we've found a toaster which works flawlessly with the Westy's gas burner!

At first we tried to toast/fry bread in a small skillet pan over the gas burner. Left bread soggy, and was lots of work.

Then we tried this gizmo: http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-504D-Camp-Stove-Toa...amp;sr=8-1
It was awful. Too small for most pieces of bread. Took forever to toast anything. And did so really unevenly.

Then we tried the Camp-a-Toaster, ordered directly from the gent who makes them: http://www.camp-a-toaster.com/index.html
We're delighted with it. This thing works marvelously. Toasts quickly (just as fast as a normal 110v electrical toaster), and evenly. And narrow enough that it doesn't impinge on the other burner, so you have lots of space to continue frying your eggs or heating your stew while toasting your bread.

Great for toasting pop-tarts too. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
krusovice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. The only thing is that it doesn't "ding" when done. My dog knows it's time for breakfast based on that ding. )And he and I love toast!)
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just emailed them to order one. Looks excellent. Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I'm a fan of toast too.

Link

RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... Thankx for your post Typhon2222 and to all who have responded.
I can now admit that I...Robert, am a toast-a-maholic. Been an addict of Wheat,Oat and Rye toast since water was deemed a liquid.

Nothing like the smell of bread being toasted over an open flame...going to order one right now !!!

Tried a few of the other camp type stoves but most of them ended up as land fill....this one looks like a keeper.

Recently found a Russian delicatessen that has whole loaves of Rye and Wheat. The ability to buy a whole loaf allows me to "customize" my yearning by slicing either a huge piece or a smaller teaser slice. Laughing

Last edited by RCB on Mon May 03, 2010 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any walmart will sell these. We have used one since I was a kid
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Runamok81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toast?

Wouldn't a waffle be better?

Link

Last edited by Runamok81 on Sun May 02, 2010 1:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite, Talkie Toaster. I do like a piece of toasted bread product from time to time. Thanks for products.

Link

08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what we use at home and camping. It is great for toast or tortillas.
I think it was originally designed for spreading the heat under a pot, but we have never used them for that.....unfortunately I cannot remember where we purchased them......we have 2!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were a big marketed thing long time ago to distribute the heat more evenly around the pot bottom and as a spacer between pot and burner supposedly preventing burning of what's in pot. I had two and I may still actually have one. Someday post a pic of what your toast looks like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
They were a big marketed thing long time ago to distribute the heat more evenly around the pot bottom and as a spacer between pot and burner supposedly preventing burning of what's in pot. I had two and I may still actually have one. Someday post a pic of what your toast looks like.

It toasts very well, but obviously you need to watch it. It is also good for melting cheese on bread without having to use melted butter in a pan.

That is a huge request.....Toast once it is toasted gets an egg thrown on immediately...........so, if I can remember! Wink
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm better look for mine. Never thought of grilled cheese that way Smile
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally!!!... a topic I can really get my teeth into AND addresses one of the most glaring breakfast issue in my Westy.
I too have tried the Coleman gizmo (Coleman does many, many things well... but that ain't one of them), open flame, hot pan, etc.
It just isn't 'over easy and bacon' without a couple slices of toast and bad toast is worst than no toast
Wish I had a dollar for every time I had a hot cup of coffee, all the ingredients for ‘OE&B’ but when I was honest about my toast options… and just went scrambled
Thank you for your post and the solution to my toast dilemma
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember my parents having one of those stove top toasters when we went camping in the 60's
why not add a 2nd battery, use AC and a real toaster?
oh, yeah...$400 Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best toaster I ever had was on an Australian made two burner bottled gas camp stove.

It consisted of a wire grill that flipped down out of the lid (which became the back breeze-shield when being used), and sat on the main steel girders (just like the Westy has around the gas burners).

BUT, this then had a fine stainless steel mesh held about 1 inch above the wire grill. It dispersed the heat, was high enough above the flame not to burn bread rapidly, and being fine did not let crumbs fall into the flame.

In an effort to duplicate this, I used one of those wire grill campfire toasters, or steak griller things. It has two sides that clamp together to hold the bread or steak, then a long handle.

I covered the wire grill on one side with fine stainless steel mesh. It works pretty good, but not quite as good as the Aussie one.

Wish I had photos.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corn1849
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Toastables Reply with quote

You could add an inverter to your Westy to run small microwave and...... Works great for when you just don't have time to make toast. Cool

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Way before then: '64 Bus
redcanoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, used my Camp A Toaster this morning. Have had it for years. But it could use a timer. I got side tracked while toasting today and next thing you know I've got charcol toast and a van full of smoke. Note to self....get a simple kitchen timer for the van. It's a memory enhancer ....... gettin old has some drawbacks. Shocked
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, toast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BILAFuSi-i0

Does your toasting device double as a campfire musical instrument?

87 Vanagon Westy Auto Bostig

www.bluegrassbicyclecompany.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
Any walmart will sell these. We have used one since I was a kid

cannot find the Camp-a-Toaster on the walmart website, but a number of RV mail order places have it and take credit cards
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Camp Toaster Reply with quote

I always got good results with the cheap $2.00 camp toaster, which, admittedly, I've always used to toast bagels. Could be a function of an individual stove's idiosyncrasies. I like the cheap one since it folds up and stores well.

But, the other gadget looks interesting--

Best!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: