Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper Arm Wind Deflecter
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flattire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Wiper Arm Wind Deflecter Reply with quote

Replaced Wind Deflector on to a new "Bus Depot" wiper arm. The hole which goes over the wiper shaft must be smaller because it doesn't allow the hold down nut to go down far enough for the plastic cap to seat Any ideas before I cut off some of the shaft?
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't cut yet. It is a very tight press fit. Try again first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't modify the shaft at all. I have installed new dealer wiper arms and they are kind of snug but they should fit. I would be looking at the wiper arm if anything.
Did you clean the splines of the wiper shaft of metal from the old wiper arm?

Last edited by syncrodoka on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Don't modify the shaft at all. I have installed new dealer wiper arms and they are kind of snug but they should fit. I would be looking at the wiper arm if anything.
Did you clean the splines of the wipershaft of metal from the old shaft?

I don't think he's talking about attaching the wiper arm to the wiper motor shaft. It sounds like the hole in the wind deflector is too small to allow the fastening hardware to engage the wiper arm.

But yeah, I'm confused too.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm even more confused now. Confused
The wiper arms with deflectors attached to them come that way, you don't add them.

Last edited by syncrodoka on Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
I'm even more confused now. :?
The wiper arms with deflectors attached to them come that way, you don't add them.

You could move them from an old to new wiper, but they are held on with rivets. The nut and plastic cap sure sound like the shaft protruding from the vehicle.

Last edited by GreenMachineVW on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you would have to drill the holes and pop rivet them to another arm. It isn't a clip on and be done deal.
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off-topic, but I did just that: drilled holes and moved the wind deflector to another wiper arm. I regret having done it, and will remove it when I get around to it. The passenger side seems to have enough pressure against the windshield without the deflector, and the deflector creates a windstream that seems to bring a pool of water behind the wiper on its down swing.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenMachineVW wrote:
Slightly off-topic, but I did just that: drilled holes and moved the wind deflector to another wiper arm. I regret having done it, and will remove it when I get around to it. The passenger side seems to have enough pressure against the windshield without the deflector, and the deflector creates a windstream that seems to bring a pool of water behind the wiper on its down swing.

It's been years since I had a wind deflector on any of my Vanagons. Had kind of forgotten about the weird eddy effect they cause. Have never had a problem running without them.

To the OP. Did you clean the aluminium out of the splines on the wiper shaft with a sharp pick? If you want your new arm to last you should. Also consider buying the GoWesty wiper arm kit or making your own "special" washer.

Last edited by Wildthings on Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luckyphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are fitting a new wiper arm there is some prep to do first. The wiper arms do not come with any keyed slots that match the wiper motor post, they are smooth from the factory. You will need to clean up the wiper motor post by using something very pointy. The object is to clean out the left over aluminum clogging the slots on the wiper motor post. Then fit the new arm and a washer and the factory spring washer then tighten down. You may have to repeat this later if not bedded in properly. To obtain a balanced look for your wiper arms ie a wind deflector on both arms simply find another arm with wind deflector and install it in place of the one without it, it is a direct fit. Probably good practice for all to clean up their wiper posts as described above if you are experiencing any wiper arm slippage, simply cranking down the nut will only snap the post eventually.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW...

The OEM wind deflector is somewhat, if not totally, worthless. This would be different if our vans went faster than 90+ MPH Shocked . Who's gonna do that in the rain anyway Exclamation Question Exclamation Question

I couldn't be happier with (no wind deflector and) the upsized Bosch Icon Wiper blades: http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van_1426216208837/page_1984_1324/bosch-icon-big-wiper-kit.html

Last edited by ThankYouJerry on Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wiper arm with a deflector on it came on late model vans and only on the driver's side.
Many have found that the deflector actually can be problematic and change to the non deflector version. I also ditched it in favor of a non winged version as water would pool up around it. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593911&highlight=wiper+arm+deflector
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree the deflectors are an overall negative. They make the wiper motor work harder and I've never noticed a left/right difference in effectiveness on the Vanagons. I have also switched to the single beam style blades and love them on all my vehicles.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
flattire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:09 am    Post subject: wiper arm Reply with quote

Seems like I have everyone confused! Let me start over---I got a new wiper arm from Bus Depot. I put the wind deflector on to the new wiper arm. I put the end of the arm with the hole onto the wiper motor shaft and tighten the nut down. The arm doesn't go down onto the wiper motor shaft far enough to put the plastic cap on. Yes I cleaned the splines with a pointy tool.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: wiper arm Reply with quote

flattire wrote:
Seems like I have everyone confused! Let me start over---I got a new wiper arm from Bus Depot. I put the wind deflector on to the new wiper arm. I put the end of the arm with the hole onto the wiper motor shaft and tighten the nut down. The arm doesn't go down onto the wiper motor shaft far enough to put the plastic cap on. Yes I cleaned the splines with a pointy tool.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

If you have something beside the OEM washer under the nut the cap may not fit. The cap must fit around the outside of the washer. As already suggested buy the GoWesty wiper arm attachment kit.

Last edited by Wildthings on Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be having trouble visualizing this, but are you talking about the round cap that covers the nut? Because you should be able to put that cap on the wiper even before installing it. The deeper it then goes on, the more the motor shaft protrudes up out of it. So the deeper it is on the shaft, the HARDER it gets to install the cap, right?.

Something may be amiss with the new wiper arm. To me it sounds like the arm went on too far and the resulting amount of shaft sticking up prevents the round plastic cap from seating.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: