Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wind Deflectors
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Wind Deflectors Reply with quote

I got a set of these about five years ago in a trade:

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_80/wind_and_rain_deflector_pair.html

I put them on my old Vanagon and didn't like the look (and never drove with them in) so they went into a box in the garage. I found them yesterday and decided I'd give them a try just to see if they actually do anything.

Lo and behold, they do look kinda funky but are fairly unobtrusive and they work really, really well. With the front windows cracked a couple of inches, they let in plenty of fresh air but without a bunch of noise and commotion. I haven't had a chance to see what they do in rain.

I thought that this might help anybody who might be considering them.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
50 Kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friends van had them and worked good, price is steep though.
1968 Beetle (11/67)
1982 Westy
1986 Cabriolet (6/86)
WTB Air-Camping roof top mount http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1499947
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it specially during the rainy days. I can still leave the windows down about 3inchs without rain coming in.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered a pair from Go Westy. They had a 1/2 price April sale which brought the price to reasonable and they are super!!!! Especially in rain but I like to drive with my window slightly open and they are great for that too.

Maybe Go Westy would extend their sale price. ps Go Westy's regular price is pretty well the same as a local NAPA et al stores.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do they install ? In the window "channel" ? If so, are you still able to fully close the windows once they're installed ?

Thanks,

JM
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and yes and yes.

Yahoooooo I found out mine arrived. Can't wait. Like I said Go Westy had them at 1/2 price the month of April. They are absolutely GREAT!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got to try them out in the rain. I'm currently back to being a dirty smoker, and it's nice to be able to have the windows down quite a bit and not get pelted by giant freezing cold Colorado rain drops.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry, I hated these.
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Too tight in the channel with the window rolled up, and so they cracked of course, and a chunk fell off the end, and then wouldn't stay up, and now if you want a pair for free, they're alongside the highway in Santa Monica.
Twisted Evil
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which highway? I'm always looking for spare parts... Very Happy

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right alongside where I pushed out the ronal r9's, because they were only 15" and I "have to have" 16".
Liar
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
advenus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love these. My front window seals are going and the make tons of noise at highway speeds. With these deflector installed it eliminates the majority of the noise (from the front area, I still have other creeks and moans)
westynova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mime from GW. Love them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed out on the GW sale, have had mine for a few years. Like them a lot. If you find that they fit a bit snugly at first, you can allways take some 120 paper and sharpen the edge of them. Use a block of wood with the sand paper wrapped around it so you will be sure to get a smooth, flush and even sand job.
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love mine also, My seals are shot so they don't really stay put. I used some double sided tape to hold 'em in. Work great in rain and they allow the van to vent during the day.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine and they are hot hot hot!
RedDoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Wind Deflectors Installation help? Reply with quote

I just got my window wind and rain deflectors from Go Westy for my Westfalia. They came with 4 clips, and adhesive "tape" preinstalled in two locations along the upper edge of the deflector (The portion that would fit inside the channel).

And no instructions as to how to install. The Go Westy site has a video on how to install the guards on a Vanagon: but those guards have no factory applied adhesive, and there is no mention of the clips.

Logic tells me to insert the clips into the channels in the location where the adhesive tape is located on the deflector....but can someone confirm my assumptions?

You all were posting about this in 2010; now it's back to the future in 2016...
thanks anyone!
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Wind Deflectors Reply with quote

I put a bead of silicone on the lip. then put the clips in on the backside. Rolled the window up overnight to let it dry...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Wind Deflectors Reply with quote

unibagel wrote:
I put a bead of silicone on the lip. then put the clips in on the backside. Rolled the window up overnight to let it dry...

That's a good idea. Unless you clean the surface where the double-sided adhesive sticks to it will eventually unstick!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
RedDoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wind Deflectors Reply with quote

Steve: so that I'm clear...are you suggesting that I should clean off the adhesive tape that came on the "guards" before I install them...because otherwise it will wear off on its own?
Sorry if I'm being dense...
Thanks for clarifying!
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Wind Deflectors Reply with quote

I found the included stickies didn’t stick for long and the plastic fell down the slots while driving down the freeway. Part of the reason is the channel on my van is so degraded that the outer surface just sloughs off leaving the tape unstuck. To keep them up I had to employ gobs of glue stuck onto the metal, not the fiber part. Slightly unsightly but its held up real good for a few years now.

Functionally my only complaint with the deflectors is that they are wind-noisy on the freeway. Power window on the passenger side helps make it tolerable.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: