Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My middie
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My middie Reply with quote

I finally posted a "build" thread if you want to check it out.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=676164

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My middie Reply with quote

I have been distracted for 5 months in fullerton socal installing windows and installing my second suby conversion for a friend--I am halfway through your thread and seeing the suby sitting in there with more to cut really was nostalgic in the middle of the van--your frame and the arms are very impressive---I would like to drive up this summer as I am on recon to Idaho-Spokane. I want to build a subterranean home I can work out of without chopping wood all summer--good on you neil !
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My middie Reply with quote

july 26 2018--I have been driving her daily for a while now and she is flawless--the guage cluster plugs got loose and I had to put a dob of clear silicone gel around them to stop the movement. recent range results where I ran her empty yields a range on 21 gallons of 571 miles--much more than the 400 or so I was hoping for--this seems to exceed the perceived 21 mpg I thought I was getting----with slow "pass me" paces, it turns into 27 mpg.
I thought this was wrong when I projected this during the build--and retracted it---this is the mileage my intrepid gets--27-28 mpg.
other projects I have been thinking about--a '75 gm motorhome with 2004 Silverado 1 ton disc brakes on all six corners, Isuzu/gm dynomax diesel/Allison trans with 4x4 front drive Silverado driveline--instead of the toronado 455 olds gas eater--
then the 1996 gm a body caprice/roadmaster station wagon on an 04 Silverado frame/driveline for a winter town runner.
the vanagon LS with ZF 5 speed transaxle is still dangling in my mind too. peace, out
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My middie Reply with quote

One of the best threads ever.

I’d love to see the GMC motorhome build. That’s always been a favorite for me.

Enjoy.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My middie Reply with quote

Thummper ,

you my friend are a gentleman and a scholar...this thread is an adventure with engineering skills only outmatched by your prowess as a wordsmith.
I'm not expert at anything and appreciate your ability to impart understanding and clarity to what many of us consider literal MAGIC from a garage.
Absolutely epic documenting of a seriously unbelievable life and lifestyle.
I'll definitely keep an eye out for more of your chronicles,

Stay happy and healthy...and never stop!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My middie Reply with quote

I knew a kid named Thumper when I was in grade school. Lived on a street named Golden Meadow. It was a pretty unusual name. You?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My middie Reply with quote

thumper was my dirtbike.
I made the mistake of getting caught rip van winkle style in the low sierras and lost my grubstake. ten years went by since 08 [a bad decade] and my cdl driving experience became DOT irrelevant. I couldn't even get a job, with the license, driving a log truck. so September 2018 I went over the road 18 western states with a 53 foot drybox--the worst market for a driver. freight is too cheap for a drivers wallet. with new wheel time I can deliver gasoline now and eventually get a shop/home back.
the banjo fitting I moved on my left jag caliper let all the fluid out this winter and pads are in order--banjo fittings should be avoided. even with a foot of snow she fired right up.
I have to get her ready for july 4th for a ufo watching at ECETI ranch near mt st Helens. - I was going to buy a retired city bus pusher at auction for 2k and convert it to an rv, but hwy gearing isn't high enough. still dreaming
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My middie Reply with quote

Thumper

Bring your Van up to Syncrofest, registration is closing in a couple of day.
I would love to see the conversion as I am sure others would as well.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35
Jump to:
Page 35 of 35

Jump to: