Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is the actual OPTIMAL speed for MPG in a Vanagon?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
szegedin7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: What is the actual OPTIMAL speed for MPG in a Vanagon? Reply with quote

Since the vanagon doesn't have an OBDII port for one of those MPG sensor thingies, I guess it's difficult to measure.

One one hand, the stock waterboxer vanagon may develop peak torque at pretty high speed -- I don't know, I have an automatic with no tach -- but maybe 70mph?

On the other hand, aerodynamics probably become a more significant factor for us, gentlemen, than most other vehicles as you get over 45mph.

If anyone has ever measured this, I would be interested to hear your results. If you don't know what you're talking about, feel free to bloviate your own cockamamie opinions Laughing

My van is pretty stripped down and light -- much lighter than a larded-up westy -- at about 3200lbs, and it seems to love to go about 45-50mph all day long, getting over 22mpg. Just curious what the real sweet spot is for "hyper" miling a vanagon.
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: What is the actual OPTIMAL speed for MPG in a vanagon? Reply with quote

If you search online, there are studies concluding that 45-50 is peak MPG across a broad sample of vehicle shapes. Assuming your speedo is correct (what’s your wheel/tire combo?), you are getting well above expected MPG for an automatic.

Less weight and tire pressure, tuneups, etc all contribute, but top speed and acceleration/braking style are most relevant, IMO.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: What is the actual OPTIMAL speed for MPG in a Vanagon? Reply with quote

ZERO. Laughing

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
szegedin7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the actual OPTIMAL speed for MPG in a vanagon? Reply with quote

brickster wrote:
If you search online, there are studies concluding that 45-50 is peak MPG across a broad sample of vehicle shapes. Assuming your speedo is correct (what’s your wheel/tire combo?), you are getting well above expected MPG for an automatic.

Less weight and tire pressure, tuneups, etc all contribute, but top speed and acceleration/braking style are most relevant, IMO.

Cool, that's about what I expected. It just feels right for the van -- that engine rpm -- and I'm over 300,000 miles without a rebuild so I'm doing something right. I have the 14" wheels with r185 tires - the speedo overcounts a little. I'm calculating mpg based on actual miles from google maps.

Acceleration style is the whole key to the kingdom of longevity / high MPG. I accelerate super slow, like it's a big rig, to the chagrin of uptight northeasterners behind me, and top out around 60, which makes me real popular on I-95.
TheMonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the actual OPTIMAL speed for MPG in a Vanagon? Reply with quote

In my ‘82 aircooled 2 litre camper a GPS speed of 56.5 mph (91kph) with the tachometer at 3000 rpm gets me around the 19.5 mpg (12 litres per 100klms). That 3000 rpm seems like a bit of a sweet spot, that’s with 195/75x14 LT tyres.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the actual OPTIMAL speed for MPG in a Vanagon? Reply with quote

Pushing a brick wind resistance plays a large part. My seat of the pants response on the flats is 40-45mph in 4th.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the actual OPTIMAL speed for MPG in a Vanagon? Reply with quote

No matter the speed, the sweet spot for great MPG's in my van is at the front of a tail wind.🥴
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the actual OPTIMAL speed for MPG in a Vanagon? Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
No matter the speed, the sweet spot for great MPG's in my van is at the front of a tail wind.🥴

Or 6 feet behind a semi. I did that 45 years ago in my ‘71 and took my foot off the accelerator pedal and dropped into neutral in the massive draft. Only to prove a point. Not a wise decision if you desire a long life.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: What is the actual OPTIMAL speed for MPG in a Vanagon? Reply with quote

The optimal speed is not 72. 72-75 my van gets 17.9 mpg drop that back to 68-70mph and the mpg goes up to 19. Driving the blue ridge parkway 40-45 mph my mileage goes up to 22. My van is definitely not stock(Ticco engine and air cooled transmission)but that is a pretty good indicator that 40-to 50 is the sweet spot. Back when the speed limit was 55 it got 22 mpg always. All but the old numbers are gps verified. At 55mph the van is a great ride. At 75 I start to think I need my Toyota pick up. I don’t dare drive less than 72 in Dallas for fear of getting run over. I hope this sort of helps. John
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: What is the actual OPTIMAL speed for MPG in a vanagon? Reply with quote

szegedin7 wrote:

Acceleration style is the whole key to the kingdom of longevity / high MPG. I accelerate super slow, like it's a big rig, to the chagrin of uptight northeasterners behind me, and top out around 60, which makes me real popular on I-95.

Hmmmmm.........
Speaking as a so called "up tight NorthEasterner" I've got to tell you that California pretty much has defined for the Nation hellish driving conditions, hellish traffic and unbearable congestion!
You guys make rush hour on the Long Island Expressway seem like a mere traffic speed bump!

Not to mention you having gun packing road rage people not afraid to squeeze the trigger!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: What is the actual OPTIMAL speed for MPG in a vanagon? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
szegedin7 wrote:

Hmmmmm.........
Speaking as a so called "up tight NorthEasterner" I've got to tell you that California pretty much has defined for the Nation hellish driving conditions, hellish traffic and unbearable congestion!
You guys make rush hour on the Long Island Expressway seem like a mere traffic speed bump!

Not to mention you having gun packing road rage people not afraid to squeeze the trigger!

Dave

You're mainly talking about San Fran and especially LA... LA is awful unless its 9pm and onward, even then its a gamble.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: What is the actual OPTIMAL speed for MPG in a vanagon? Reply with quote

WestyWanter wrote:
djkeev wrote:
szegedin7 wrote:

Hmmmmm.........

Dave

You're mainly talking about San Fran and especially LA... LA is awful unless its 9pm and onward, even then its a gamble.

Oh, I know I am, I'm no stranger to California. 😂😂
Generalities beget generalities.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
szegedin7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: What is the actual OPTIMAL speed for MPG in a Vanagon? Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
The optimal speed is not 72. 72-75 my van gets 17.9 mpg drop that back to 68-70mph and the mpg goes up to 19. Driving the blue ridge parkway 40-45 mph my mileage goes up to 22. My van is definitely not stock(Ticco engine and air cooled transmission)but that is a pretty good indicator that 40-to 50 is the sweet spot. Back when the speed limit was 55 it got 22 mpg always. All but the old numbers are gps verified. At 55mph the van is a great ride. At 75 I start to think I need my Toyota pick up. I don’t dare drive less than 72 in Dallas for fear of getting run over. I hope this sort of helps. John

I agree, 40-50 seems like the sweet spot, and on long trips I sometimes take back roads to cruise along at those speeds, for the well-being of the van and for the Fahrvergnügen Very Happy

Some modern cars have 6,7,8 speed transmissions and cruise along at 80mph at low rpms. But we're stuck with a 1:1 gear ratio, and it seems like the van is working way too hard at 70mph so I never drive it at those speeds, except when I have to get through a city freeway section of the trip.

No offense to the uptight northeasterners (I'm a northeasterner, but not an uptight one) but the driving up here is hands down the most aggressive, hostile, and sociopathic. Have lived in NYC, SF, LA, and the South, and the NE I-95 corridor is the worst, from NY to Virginia. People will slice your face off for an inch of tarmac. LA is friendly by comparison. It's always a bummer getting back to the Jersey Turnpike and all the uncalled-for aggro.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: What is the actual OPTIMAL speed for MPG in a Vanagon? Reply with quote

I am a Jersey Native but am about as far from uptight as possible.

I don't disagree about I-95.
I've noticed that Interstates in general seem to bring out the worst in people.

"MY ROAD! GET OUT OF THE WAY !"

I almost never travel them unless I must, no matter what I'm driving.

There are just too many people today, the population has more than doubled in my life time alone!
I think the disregard for basic traffic laws speaks volumes about our society today.
Rules are for losers.

Overall I've found the nicest people behind me as I putter along with my 90 ponies behind me!
I of course encourage them to pass at any safe (for me) opportunity.
They wave and I get thumbs up as they pass....... or is that the middle finger? 😂

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: What is the actual OPTIMAL speed for MPG in a Vanagon? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: What is the actual OPTIMAL speed for MPG in a Vanagon? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
ZERO. Laughing

HAH!! That's a very good speed for MPG.

As others have said and will say, aerodynamics doesn't really come into it until 45-50MPH, and the best mileage numbers I've generated have come on roads that favour slowness. YMMV
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: What is the actual OPTIMAL speed for MPG in a Vanagon? Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
ZERO. Laughing

HAH!! That's a very good speed for MPG.

As others have said and will say, aerodynamics doesn't really come into it until 45-50MPH, and the best mileage numbers I've generated have come on roads that favour slowness. YMMV

Actually zero is a horrible speed!

The tank I burned while charging my A/C returned at about 11 mpg's!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: What is the actual OPTIMAL speed for MPG in a Vanagon? Reply with quote

here is what i've been keeping track of over the past 3 months in my 91 Westy here in PA.

mainly using the US highway system @ 45 to 55 mph - 20 mpg
mainly using the Interstates @ 65 to 75 mph - 18 mpg
mixed use of city roads and state routes @35 to 45 mph - 16 mpg
only city driving in Philly @25 to 35 mph - 14 mpg (stop and go it a killer)

this is using summer blend gasoline, curious how it will change this fall.

BiWerks Design, LLC
szegedin7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: What is the actual OPTIMAL speed for MPG in a Vanagon? Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
here is what i've been keeping track of over the past 3 months in my 91 Westy here in PA.

mainly using the US highway system @ 45 to 55 mph - 20 mpg
mainly using the Interstates @ 65 to 75 mph - 18 mpg
mixed use of city roads and state routes @35 to 45 mph - 16 mpg
only city driving in Philly @25 to 35 mph - 14 mpg (stop and go it a killer)

this is using summer blend gasoline, curious how it will change this fall.

Yeah I guess I'm doing better than you on the highway, but just as bad around town. It's that city MPG figure that kills me. That 75mph driving is probably harder on the engine than it is on the MPGs -- you're pushing 4000rpm, right?

I have talked here before about how the Vanagon is the ideal vehicle for a Prius drivetrain -- about the same amount of power and weight, there's plenty of room for batteries. Even if it was 30% worse because of aerodynamics, can you imagine getting 45mpg around town in a Vanagon and 30+ on the highway? Somebody take my money.
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: What is the actual OPTIMAL speed for MPG in a Vanagon? Reply with quote

Drag increases at a square of the speed.

Pushing the 4x8 sheet of plywood which is the front of a Vanagon over 40 MPH resukta in a big MPG hit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: