Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HELP with weird crank pulley
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnytod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: HELP with weird crank pulley Reply with quote

My previous owners have put a weird crank pulley which has no part number and I cant really find out what is it from (v belt pulley). It is not from the upgraded 1.9 Diesel engine set up and it is also not from the original 1.6 diesel set up. But now it is wobbling badly so I need to replace it.

I need badly and urgently a weird crankshaft pulley. Bus is immobilized and can't leave for my vacation. If anyone has information where I can source a pulley like this, please message me directly!!

Below are the measurements and you can also see the picture with the diagram of measurements.
If no one knows where to get this exact pulley (which part number I dont know) An alternative would be a pulley with the part number 068105255h

Mine pulley is:
- Height (when you put in on a table from edge to the edge of the most bulging part in the back: approx. 24 mm
- Diameter from edge to edge 142mm
- Diameter of hole for the crank bolt: 30mm
- Distance from each of the 4 bolts securing the pulley: approx. 30mm
- Height from edge to edge where the v-belt goes in: 17mm

Any ideas on what the OEM part number for this pulley size is?

Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: HELP with weird crank pulley Reply with quote

Please note this is a fancy Want To Buy ad.

Please place an ad in the classifieds for WTB ads are prohibited by the site rules.

I know you are in a tough spot so I edited your post removing the WTB aspects.
But please do place a WTB ad.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: HELP with weird crank pulley Reply with quote

Instead of trying to find this strange pulley, why not just put on the correct pulley for your motor? That should be easy enough to figure out and source if you know what year and models your current engine was available for.

Hans
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: HELP with weird crank pulley Reply with quote

I think the issue for the OP may be resistance to the market prices of parts they need.

I know nothing of the OP in this case but VW diesel heads as a rule tend to be "frugal" toward the extreme.

Mark

hdenter wrote:
Instead of trying to find this strange pulley, why not just put on the correct pulley for your motor? That should be easy enough to figure out and source if you know what year and models your current engine was available for.

Hans
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: HELP with weird crank pulley Reply with quote

johnnytod wrote:
But now it is wobbling badly so I need to replace it...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On the 1.9's the crank pulley typically starts 'wobbling badly' because the crankshaft sprocket key and matching slot in the crank is overly worn! That is not fixed by replacing the pulley you show. If you're very lucky, it might only require replacing the sprocket, but more often it requires welding/machining of the crank or crank replacement, which is a very large ordeal.

Also, I can tell from the pic that your timing belt tracking is BAD! The timing belt should *not* rub on the back of the pulley and it has been rubbing bad enough that it has not only worn away the paint, it has worn down the back of the steel pulley!

Reschedule your vacation or take a different vehicle!
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: HELP with weird crank pulley Reply with quote

I am puzzled by the "started wobbling" condition. If a pulley is loose it will wobble and the fix is to tighten it. If a pulley is bent it will wobble and the fix is to take a hammer and straighten it. If the pulley is neither bent, nor loose then what it's attached to is the problem and you're not going to fix the problem with a new pulley.

A V belt pulley is bog simple and responds well to being hammered back to straightness.

To the OP - could you respond to that and perhaps help us help you? Have you in reality been driving it with a wobbling pulley since you bought it and now want to change that before your big trip? I'm having mental trouble with the concept a pulley "began wobbling" absent a massive trauma like a car crash. It's worth closing by saying a lot of pulleys wobble slightly and if yours is slight you may be about to miss a trip by not filling us in and receiving dire warnings when none is warranted. Cheers.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: HELP with weird crank pulley Reply with quote

As I mentioned in my prior post, the 1.9 IDI diesel engines are notorious for the crank sprocket and keyway failing and causing the crank pulley to begin wobbling. IF that is the issue and the OP continues driving, it is highly likely that the crank sprocket will fail entirely, causing the timing belt to fail, and pistons to mash the valves causing an expensive and unhappy end to the vacation.

...The issue with the 1.9 IDI crank/sprocket failure typically happens due to the stock serpentine belt setup and does not typically when the v-belt system is used instead of the serpentine. Although less likely, it is not unheard of even with the v-belt accessory drive, and depending on the history of the 1.9, the issue could already have been birthed but not matured prior to install into the Vanagon. If it were my van I sure as heck would not be going anywhere in it prior to pulling the crank sprocket bolt and checking the interface between sprocket and crank. I also wouldn't take it on vacation prior to fixing the timing belt tracking issue that I mentioned.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: