Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

30Pict-3 help
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
A-Wall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: 30Pict-3 help Reply with quote

i think i have the wrong jets in my 30pict-3. seems to be running rich

what are the stock jet sizes supposed to be?

also my carb doesn't have that electric idle fuel shut off nor does it have a provision for one. all of the pics i've seen of 30-3's have this shut off solenoid.

what is my carb originally from then?

here are some pics, i know, i know. i wont be using this air filter for long, im looking for an oil bath as we speak. so other then that air filter the engine is a totally bone stock 1600sp with the 205T distributor.

Any help would be great.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off you have the vacuum hose connected to the wrong port. The hose needs to go the one on the left side of the carb.

Change that and re set the timing.

As far as stock jetting on a 30 pict -3

They had a very small main jet on that particular model.

112.5 main

125Z air

jet on the right side of the carb at an angle is a 65 and the 30 pict -3 should have a unique electric solenoid straight in the RH side that has a bullet shaped tip and a very large hole and is marked "1.8"

However many time it's not there and some one has replaced with either a different electric solenoid with a "55" jet tip or put in a plain old brass pilot jet. This causes the carb tuning on a 30 pict -3 to be... let's just say not what the factory intended.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
A-Wall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really, when i had the line hooked up to the port i was getting hardly any advance when i would rev it. ill have to try it again.

im going to check my jet numbers today. and report back.

so the cutoff solenoid would be on the right hand on this one? most ive seen are on the left hand side and the mixture screws are in a different configuration to make room for it.

thanks!
A-Wall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so you seem to be the carb man around here. i found a great thread that you posted in that showed me everything and explained the wierd changes of this carb over the years.

mine is exactly this

someone clearly plugged the hole for the elec cut-off on mine.

are these cut-offs easy to find for this particular carb? being that it comes off the RH side.

thanks
A-Wall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so here's what's in my carb

127.5 main jet!

125 air

65 on the angle

and a 60 of the same style threaded in my cut-off port!

awesome...
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-Wall wrote:

127.5 main jet!

125 air

65 on the angle

awesome...

Despite the "theory" involved sticking a 127.5 main in a 30 pict 3 IMHO and experience is a mistake.

The specific style of the electromagnetic cut off jet/valve for 30 pict 3 is hard to find and there is NO new source I have ever seen.
It acts more of an "air bypass cut off" on the 30 pict -3 than an "idle PILOT jet cut off,( like it's earlier cousins the 30 pict -1 and 30 pict -2 have) and that is why it has the "larger" hole/orifice and shape.

30 pict 3 was an emissions based carb ( 1970, VW was trying anything to appease the USA/EPA standards to continue to sell HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of year model vehicles... they had no choice) it is an "odd duck"... not quite to the 34 pict -3 stage of design and really ( in the USA a ONE YEAR ONLY carb)

It is possible to drill out a pilot jet larger to compensate... 1.8MM is much bigger than .55MM so... figure that.

There are reasons I have come to not care for 30 pict -2 and 30 pict -3 carbs over the years... IMHO you'd be better off with a different carb.

30 pict -1 or an H30/31
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
A-Wall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely...

so say i stick with this carb for now, should i put a 112.5 main back in and track down the proper cut-off?

trying to understand what your saying about drilling out a pilot jet, i assume the electric one is 1.8mm and just shoving a .60 pilot in there will restrict my fuel at idle?

also, cip1 has 2 electric cut off's. i thought this one looked promising.

https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-058-129-413-D

thanks for the help
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-Wall wrote:
lovely...

so say i stick with this carb for now, should i put a 112.5 main back in and track down the proper cut-off?

trying to understand what your saying about drilling out a pilot jet, i assume the electric one is 1.8mm and just shoving a .60 pilot in there will restrict my fuel at idle?

also, cip1 has 2 electric cut off's. i thought this one looked promising.

https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-058-129-413-D

thanks for the help

VWC-058-129-413-D
Nope... that's the one for the other carbs ( 30 pict -1, 30 pict -2) BUT NOT 30 pict 3...

If you e mail me I'll get in touch with you and give you more details and options... it's hard to explain this about the 30 pict 3 in a few posts...

Also the pics are not great ( I will try to get better shots later) but I posted some in my gallery of the two styles.
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, please, move that filter out of the engine compartment and get some German braided fuel hose. At least carry a "big" fire extinguisher with you at all times.
A-Wall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wbrown45 wrote:
Please, please, move that filter out of the engine compartment and get some German braided fuel hose. At least carry a "big" fire extinguisher with you at all times.

calm down, nothing in that picture is the way it is now, i just used this pic for reference.
RA 70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:
A-Wall wrote:

127.5 main jet!

125 air

65 on the angle

awesome...

Despite the "theory" involved sticking a 127.5 main in a 30 pict 3 IMHO and experience is a mistake.

The specific style of the electromagnetic cut off jet/valve for 30 pict 3 is hard to find and there is NO new source I have ever seen.
It acts more of an "air bypass cut off" on the 30 pict -3 than an "idle PILOT jet cut off,( like it's earlier cousins the 30 pict -1 and 30 pict -2 have) and that is why it has the "larger" hole/orifice and shape.

30 pict 3 was an emissions based carb ( 1970, VW was trying anything to appease the USA/EPA standards to continue to sell HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of year model vehicles... they had no choice) it is an "odd duck"... not quite to the 34 pict -3 stage of design and really ( in the USA a ONE YEAR ONLY carb)

It is possible to drill out a pilot jet larger to compensate... 1.8MM is much bigger than .55MM so... figure that.

There are reasons I have come to not care for 30 pict -2 and 30 pict -3 carbs over the years... IMHO you'd be better off with a different carb.

30 pict -1 or an H30/31

My experience with sticking in 127.5 main in my 30 pict-3 was my engine running hot (1600 with Scat C25 cam, stock 205T distributor, 65 pilot, 125z air correction, and at sea level). I had changed from the stock 112.5 to the 127.5 over this winter, and it ran well. Then the weather warmed up into the mid 70's and it was running hot which also caused my oil pressure to drop. (Plugs also indicating rich) I switched to a 125 main and the temps seem to have gone way down, and the oil pressure is up to 12-15 at idle. I am thinking about trying a 120 main. Now my question is what "should" in theory be the ideal main jet in the 30 pict-3 at sea level?
avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RA 70 wrote:

My experience with sticking in 127.5 main in my 30 pict-3 was my engine running hot (1600 with Scat C25 cam, stock 205T distributor, 65 pilot, 125z air correction, and at sea level). I had changed from the stock 112.5 to the 127.5 over this winter, and it ran well. Then the weather warmed up into the mid 70's and it was running hot which also caused my oil pressure to drop. (Plugs also indicating rich) I switched to a 125 main and the temps seem to have gone way down, and the oil pressure is up to 12-15 at idle. I am thinking about trying a 120 main. Now my question is what "should" in theory be the ideal main jet in the 30 pict-3 at sea level?

Was that a 1600 SP or DP?

And did you ever try moving down to the 120 main?
RA 70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SP and no, I now have dual weber ict's. I also changed to a doghouse cooler.
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: 30Pict-3 help Reply with quote

Here is a picture that shows the correct idle jet (top one) next to the other style.

ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
lee griffiths
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just reviving this thread.

When you screw the idle cut-off jet/solenoids into the carb body should the chamfered end of the jet screw home to the carb body thus leaving some gap and possibly visible thread?

I'm rebuilding a 30 Pict-2 carb on my '68 bus and the idle solenoid (which looks like the second one in the photo) had some alloy washers on the threaded section so that the washers hit the carb body maybe before the jet end seated in the hole. Not sure why the PO put the washers on... maybe fuel was seeping out along the thread.. ?

thanks

Lee

'58 Mango
'68 Devon Camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No washers. Just like the later 34-PICT pilot jets, it's supposed to screw in just until the tip seats over
the orifice inside the carb.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Those washers were to keep the cut off valve from bottoming out that kept the engine from Idling.....I did that with the G45-65 Idle Jet on the 34-3 Carbs for yrs and would re adjust for a leaner mixture to compensate.
lee griffiths
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, so a bit of a fix then. So would having washers richen the mixture then suggesting a large idle is needed ? It might be that someone has replaced the idle solenoid with whatever they had and it's the wrong one.

The bus is a 1600 SP with 30 Pict-2. Should it be a .55 idle solenoid ?

thanks

ps, I got the engine running today after about 15 years of dry storage and it sounds good, although I didn't run it long enough to really check the idle as I was running it from a jerry can of gas (tank is all gummed up).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washers might also indicate that the cutoff plunger was inoperative, and keeping
it unseated was a workaround. All the 30 PICT-2 specs I have call for a 0.55 mm orifice.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:

Price ($64.95) seems like a major rip... but is apparently available (has the correct part no. of 113129414):

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Idle-Shut-Off-Valve-30-3-Carburetors-113-129-414-p/113-129-414.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: