Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

34 Pict 3 will not idle
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bernieohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: 34 Pict 3 will not idle Reply with quote

I have a 34 Pict-3 Carb that I cannot get to idle. The engine stalls as soon as the car is warmed up and the choke fully opens. I have done the following on the car.

1) Adjusted the valves
2) Adjusted the timing
3) Rebuilt the carb
4) Replaced the Cut-Off Valve, the original was not working.
5) Checked for vacuum leaks along the carb and manifold. I used propane and starting fluid and could not find an area where the rpm would increase.

When the engine is just ready to stall if I squirt starting fluid into the carb it remains running for a bit.

I am stumped on this. Does anyone have any ideas what else it could be?
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Must be the carb Reply with quote

I had the same problem after I started the car after sitting for 8 years, sucked some dirt into the carb. Took out the carb, screwed out all the jets, blew all the channels with carb cleaner and cleaned all the jets with the cleaner and pressure air. Put it together , screwed out air screw and bypass screw 2 turns, fired right up. Didn't have to adjust much to get a nice idle.

Thats what happened to me, Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56411
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lupin..the..3rd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Must be the carb Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
I had the same problem after I started the car after sitting for 8 years, sucked some dirt into the carb. Took out the carb, screwed out all the jets, blew all the channels with carb cleaner and cleaned all the jets with the cleaner and pressure air. Put it together , screwed out air screw and bypass screw 2 turns, fired right up. Didn't have to adjust much to get a nice idle.

Thats what happened to me, Good luck!

x2, crap in the float bowl and clogged idle jet are frequent causes of a no-idle. The holes in the idle jet are TINY. Use a single bristle from a wire brush to poke through and dislodge any debris.
TonyPgh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be an ass here. But, mine sat for a year, before I bought it. I poured Sea Foam in the tank, and it was amazing! It cleaned it right out, and ran perfect, after about 5 minutes of running. Its a cheap try, before you start taking things apart.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
lupin..the..3rd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyPgh wrote:
Not to be an ass here. But, mine sat for a year, before I bought it. I poured Sea Foam in the tank, and it was amazing! It cleaned it right out, and ran perfect, after about 5 minutes of running. Its a cheap try, before you start taking things apart.

Not to split hairs here, but technically, it's cheaper to pull and clean the idle jet, since that doesn't cost you a penny. Wink
learningbymistake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to split more hairs, but he did say cheap, not cheaper Laughing
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check points.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: 34 Pict 3 will not idle Reply with quote

bernieohio wrote:
... 5) Checked for vacuum leaks along the carb and manifold. I used propane and starting fluid and could not find an area where the rpm would increase.

When the engine is just ready to stall if I squirt starting fluid into the carb it remains running for a bit.

Did you do this vacuum leak test after the motor was fully warmed up? How did you keep the engine running since it "stalls as soon as the car is warmed up"??
You can manually set the throttle screw onto one of the fast idle cam steps. Just enough to keep the motor running.
After you have the motor running... cover the carb opening with your hand. This will choke off the air in the same way the choke does, causing the mixture to go rich... does the idle change when you do this?
If it idles smoother, you have a vacuum leak somewhere.
If the idle starts to stumble, you probably have an air tight intake.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
bernieohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tired cleaing the idle jet and that was not the problem. I will try manually choking off the carb as suggested to check for leak. Since the car will not idle when warm I had to check for vacuum leaks when the choke was still partially closed.
bernieohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I warmed the car up until the choke fully opened. I was then able to keep it running by mostly blocking off the carb opening. So I guess this indicates that I have a vacuum leak. If that is the case I just need to find it.
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vacuum leaks can be found using a can of start gas with a nozzle pipe, spray around suspicious areas and listen if the revs increases. Good luck again.
clay ford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lupin..the..3rd wrote:
TonyPgh wrote:

Not to split hairs here, but technically, it's cheaper to pull and clean the idle jet, since that doesn't cost you a penny. Wink

have you seen the price of sea foam ? that stuff isnt cheap at all
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: 34 Pict 3 will not idle Reply with quote

bernieohio wrote:

5) Checked for vacuum leaks along the carb and manifold. I used propane and starting fluid and could not find an area where the rpm would increase.
This test is not as good while the choke is ON. The choke makes the mixture rich already so adding more fuel may not make a difference.

Warm it up and use the fast idle can to hold the throttle open just enough so it doesn't die.

Spray around all threaded items and connections.
Do the front and backs of the intake boots.
Do the intake to head connections (hard because of angle and the air from the fan.
Do the gap between the throttle bore and the throttle shaft. (This was where my leak was and it took three times before I got the right spot)
Do all hose ends. BOTH ends!
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
bernieohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Thank You and another question Reply with quote

Hi,

First of all I would like to thank everyone for all of your suggestions and advice. I think that I found a leak where the intake manifiold connects to the head. I am installing new metal gaskets and was wondering if I should use gasket sealant with these or not.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bernie
mnussbau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the metal gaskets and installed them dry, no sealer...this type.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

volksbug70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay ford wrote:
lupin..the..3rd wrote:
TonyPgh wrote:

have you seen the price of sea foam ? that stuff isnt cheap at all

Shit, I remember when it was like $5 or $6; now what is it, $11?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeRoom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 Pict 3 will not idle Reply with quote

Old as this thread may be, if mine just did this again, I figure someone else may be stubborn enough to still have one of these in service-

maybe.

In my limited breadth of models, I've most often had the DP engine that has this carb on it; just seem to end up with AEs and the like in practice, even if retrofits. Even the 44PHH on an obscure Benz I had were better mixers; so much for smog.

What I found time and again, given the problem being the carb and not points going away or such, was that stupid little nearly-impossible-to-extract idle jet up the right side (innards depending on your variant, I suppose, though I've never had a new one of these so can't really say how they ought be- some were only the one stuck right into the hex-head holder that unscrews first, some I've had are down inside this drilling, can only be reached with your screwdriver for those clever little screws on an XLR connector- read super skinny- and wait 'til you try to pull it out of there once loose, if still fitted to the car, especially the Type 2- the magnet idea is out with brass, and it just sort of wiggles around in there as you coax it along, but you will get it eventually. Try not to drop it as it's drawn out, and avoid shorting any gen/alt hot stud with the screwdriver... A trough of some plastic shim stock, a flexy plastic document cover or such works well to help with both of these issues).

I show it at no. 65 on this German blowup I have of another 34 variant, but that's the bit exactly. Just look for the smallest, worst possible bit accessible to the outside on yours. I haven't seen that part or plug on some of them, presumably the same model carb. Weird as all those different accel pump linkages that either fit or jam you at warp 3 into the alternator.

This little goody will invariably be the cause of no idle setting on mine- either fuel or bypass screw will be useless- and exactly as the choke shuts off (runs great when that's on, though...); it either catches some micro-bit that slipped through from below and jams on it, or, if you've been using the right gas, will actually crust up with the additives in the fuel. I've taken it out to find it crudded up with some white kak that just sort of chipped off when poked. Cleared it out and voila! Idle returns.

I suppose one could yank the whole carb, but I prefer to leave what's well enough alone, not risk dropping even more stuff down the pipe, and the fishing/fiddling with that piece in situ gets down to a pretty predictable, if dumb, routine. Carb off is going to be for an actual decent model next time it occurs anyway.

Apart from that, great carburetor- compared with maybe a drinking straw from a balloon full of gas held at just the right height.
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 Pict 3 will not idle Reply with quote

VeeRoom wrote:
can only be reached with your screwdriver for those clever little screws on an XLR connector- read super skinny-

What I used to use for the XLR connectors was the smallest Craftsman straight-edge screwdriver that you would get in a set (think it was 1/8" wide tip), with the sides ground down so that it would fit inside the recess. The only other thing that would fit was a jeweler's screwdriver, but those were never strong enough.
VeeRoom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 Pict 3 will not idle Reply with quote

(to David nc- yes- I have one of those drivers; if not that, then the one from the old Craftsman ignition kit- the one w/all those nasty little stamped flat wrenches- with the edges filed straight seems to fit OK)

An addition to this thing- I'm calling it idle, as it does have a nasty effect on idle to the point of disallowing any adjustment, but technically they call it 'auxiliary', or some say 'crossover'- maybe in the vain hope that it'll get you through that flat spot or some such thing, I dunno. The actual pilot jet is the actually reachable one with the hex head and a number atop, that almost never acts up. That one's clogged on me once over about 6 engines, but this one is evil. Now, it may be that I've the carb running into the opening range of things, but with the base throttle opening set per book with its just touching then 1/x twist the fast cam, this one is still the culprit.

Hahaha...we make good joke on the Volks of the Wagen- here- watch me design in this stupid jet...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: