Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear brake sylinder leak.. what have I done wrong?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: rear brake sylinder leak.. what have I done wrong? Reply with quote

rear brake sylinders were fine(no leak) when I opened the drums. Once I disassembled, ajusted, and put everything back in, one of the piston in the rear synder is leaking pretty badly when I depress the brake pedal.

What have I missed here?
getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is most likely something wrong with the rubber boots on either end of the wheel cylinder. They have ridges that fit in the groove of the cylinder and piston there is a possibility that during reassembly one of the these popped off causing the leak. Either that or you accidentally tore one when putting the brake assembly back together.

That is my guess anyway. you will have to pull the drum and check. Should be evident once you have a look.
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly.
I pulled the sylinder out and disassembled it. The rubber inside was torn. It must ve happened while I was trying to put the shoe against the sylinder. I did try to force it to go together.

Thanks
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you recently put new ones on, be sure and replace the wheel cylinders on both sides when you make your repair. They are inexpensive and the work involved is the only pain. Having one new and the other several years old or more could be asking for trouble.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clear up any confusion to someone reading this thread later. The outer boots, the ones you see, are to prevent dust, dirt and moisture from getting into the wheel cylinder. If you have brake fluid behind a dust boot, the wheel cylinder has already failed. Yes it is always best to replace them in axle pairs.
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
To clear up any confusion to someone reading this thread later. The outer boots, the ones you see, are to prevent dust, dirt and moisture from getting into the wheel cylinder. If you have brake fluid behind a dust boot, the wheel cylinder has already failed. Yes it is always best to replace them in axle pairs.

Thanks. Good info. When I pressed on to the dust cover, it squirted the oil out. It was already bad then. I am going to order the new hardware as well and replace everything while at it. At least my rear brakes are self adjusting fine. Very Happy
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might as well get some flexlines while your in there...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: