Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early Vanagon front slider latch fix?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigashlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Early Vanagon front slider latch fix? Reply with quote

OK I did a quick look & did not find anything...So he we go front slider latch on vanagons early IE: 1980 to I think 1983-4?
Problem the Cargo/Slider door stays lock because of failed spring in latch it self (FRONT) the one inside the door that handel & key go to.
Question has anybody found a fix?

Question can a late latch be installed? if so what has to be done?

I have been getting sick & tired of putting key in lock & unlock everytime
& I also have experimented with a rubber band in lieu of spring but only work for short time a week or two Crying or Very sad I'm ready for a real save or a new latch for $100? So ...OK if you have a NOS latch I have cash or call me @ 360 683 6924 if you have a fix!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I understand your problem, the little locking knob wont stay up in the unlocked position?

what I did in my '82 with same problem is unscrew the knob and slip a small section of rubber hose over the threaded boss on knob. when knob screwed back in the hose provides enough friction to keep it in the unlocked position.

Its about the only thing you can do barring replacement of entire latch assembly. The spring that breaks is impossible to repair.

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
bigashlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Vanagon slider fix! Reply with quote

This Canadian is ON THE BALL...I did what he said...I tried a couple different hose types & ended up with the BMW 8mm fuel injection hose very much like the old type 3 injection hose, (SAME STUFF) & cut a piece about 8mm long & my it slip by adding silicone spray & work like a champ!

So I say OK to our friends in Canada! If he were a bit closer I could look north & see him across the straight of Juan De Fuca
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: