Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spare tire carrier
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Spare tire carrier Reply with quote

Hello everybody Very Happy

I come in peace and am unarmed. So please don't shoot just because I drive a "vile" Vanagon and not a noble Bay.

I am trying to resolve the problem of relocating my spare wheel in the back of the Vanagon without any heavy or complicated contraption such as those used by he Vanagoners. Swing out monstruosities that can hold two spares, 4 jerrycans, two bikes and a Port A John, not thanks.

It was suggested that I use the carrier from the Bay. My question relates in fact to the mounting of this carrier. I assume that the front of the Bay like the hatch on the Vanagon is soft skinned and that therefore some reinforcement was necessary.

Would someone be kind enough to post some pictures or a description of those reinforcements holding the carrier in the back.

I would very much appreciate

THank you very much

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
FlowerPowered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh traveler from the planet Vanagon:

That's a tough one unless the air ducting is removed, not much can be seen from behind:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But I suspect mine was simply riveted from the front. Here is what happened over the long haul:

Nice impression of a smiley face huh?. I plan on getting rid of mine, fixing the sheet metal, and building a custom front bumper guard (that is actually gives effective protection) with integrated tire mount.

Live long and prosper (insert Vulcan hand salute).
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey van man. As flowerpower shows in his picture it really is a mystery. It's my understanding that they were not a factory item and were maybe a dealer item. I've heard both rivets and bolts. As an aftermarket item they've probably been put on with whatever works. I can't imagine rivets not pulling out of the sheet metal. And bolts with nuts on the inside would want nice big washers. There is no way to reach up and get nuts started. What we did is cut a sheet metal plate with the same hole pattern as the mount and then put nutserts, or whatever you call them, on that plate. There was barely enough room and ability to slip that plate up in position.
In you're case you would want some real substantial reinforcement on the inside. That is a big bunch of weight hanging and bouncing around. When i got my bus there were some holes on the rear hatch and a lot of damage. So bad I trashed it. It was either from a spare or a jerry can. Either way it destroys the purpose of the rear hatch. Might just as well weld the rear hatch closed.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a post i did about removing the spare tire carrier and the reinforcement plates someone installed behind the nose.
not sure if the plates did anything other than require two big holes to be drilled in the nose.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3262867&highlight=reinforcement#3262867
Rubber Duck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a type of mount that comes with reinforcing "bars" that go on the inside. Its tough to instal unless you have small hands and/or helpful assistant, but once its on, it gives a much more solid hold of the spare. It also rests somewhat on the front bumper, due to the design of the bars. Do a search...I have pixes in my gallery as well as a detailed post, I think. Man, its been too long since I posted!! Shocked

My bus is just coming out of hibernation now that its dry out... Very Happy
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the part we bought back in 1976 for our 1971 bus had blind rivets. A small rivet went into the 4 holes for the VW emblem and a small pin was driven into the rivet to tighen it. That worked for 300,000 miles.

But the tire did so much cosmetic damage to the paint that we bit the bullet and left it in the bus in our 1977. On this one it would have required drilling holes and using bolts. The nose was the only part of the bus that was showroom straight and we want to keep it that way as much as possible.

I would look into some kind of a bumper bar if I were to do it again. But if your Vanagon is beat to heck then put it on the front. Keep in mind that the bay nose is vertical so there is no horizontal load on it. I am not as familar with a Vanagon. You should be asking this question in the Vanagon community to see what other solutions there are.
rcnotes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mounted mine to a front hitch I bought from Jamie Rivers.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great idea and best I have seen.
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pb24ss is working on a better one that mounts on the frame and not the bumper with a friend that does custom welding
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! another spare tire debate! Woo Hoo! Rolling Eyes
Here's my 2 cents.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
FlowerPowered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcnotes wrote:
I mounted mine to a front hitch I bought from Jamie Rivers.

Other than that fugly spare mount, you have an awesome looking ride. Maybe a bit of gloss white on the upright would do the trick. Other ideas:

- Wrap fake leaves around the upright and paint the cover your favorite flower.
- Silver on the upright and make a metallic cover to look like a radar.
- Make the mount so the tire rotates, paint it like Wheel of Fortune and charge tickets for a spin.
- Install a 14" speaker in the tire and become an ice cream salesman.
rcnotes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I welded the L bracket male end from heavy square tubing, fitted and bolted it inside of the hitch.

There is one problem with my spare tire solution. My wife and I were going to a picnic and she was holding a large pot of baked beans and didn't see a speed bump, so I braked rather suddenly. The bracket dug hard into the pavement on the downside of the bump causing the pot to spill on the floor of the bus. It left about an inch deep divot in the asphalt! What a mess! Rolling Eyes However, there was no damage whatsoever to the spare, the bumper or nose. Just a pile of baked beans on the floor, lol.

I'm going to remake the current sharp square ended bracket with a 45 degree upwards bend and maybe add a skid plate. And next time go slow over the bumps and up steep driveways and put the beans in a cooler on the floor in the back.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe a bit of gloss white on the upright

maybe. That design probably helps a little in the wind and with fuel mileage too.
rcnotes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhh, thanks for the compliments, I think Laughing

I believe in following my midwest values and like VW busses, form follows function and chrome don't get ya home.

rcrjacob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcnotes - where did you get the mirrors? I want a pair like that so bad. Busdepot is out of them.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FlowerPowered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcnotes wrote:
Uhh, thanks for the compliments, I think Laughing

I believe in following my midwest values and like VW busses, form follows function and chrome don't get ya home.

Agreed. Hey, where'd ya get those side mirrors? Just the upgrade I was looking for.
rcnotes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus Depot on the mirrors, several years ago. I get some flack from the stock crowd, but the greater area is really nice. Really good for seeing behind. They're kind of cheap, (think they're made in Brazil) and hardly any easier to keep adjusted than the stock replacement mirrors.
fusername
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Spare tire carrier Reply with quote

VisPacem wrote:
Hello everybody Very Happy

I come in peace and am unarmed. So please don't shoot just because I drive a "vile" Vanagon and not a noble Bay.

I am trying to resolve the problem of relocating my spare wheel in the back of the Vanagon without any heavy or complicated contraption such as those used by he Vanagoners. Swing out monstruosities that can hold two spares, 4 jerrycans, two bikes and a Port A John, not thanks.

It was suggested that I use the carrier from the Bay. My question relates in fact to the mounting of this carrier. I assume that the front of the Bay like the hatch on the Vanagon is soft skinned and that therefore some reinforcement was necessary.

Would someone be kind enough to post some pictures or a description of those reinforcements holding the carrier in the back.

I would very much appreciate

THank you very much

to quote the og question, so folks may actually read it and stay on topic to the question. there was no reinforcement, and in my exeperince all the damage was from the tire rubbing on the body, not from it pushing onit or denting anything. mine was held on with some rivnuts, a gorgeous invention for putting captive nuts in blind holes, and if you can find a space on your van for it, I would say go for it. if you CAN reinforce the backside why not do it to make it safe, but if you can't oh well. they mount pretty solid.

FORSALE: Thrust cut T4 and 1.9 main bearings
obnoxiousblue wrote:
Maybe Ben Pon's ghost comes and vomits NOS stampings for your bus, but not mine!
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's just fuzzy memories, but I thought the Vanagons were factory-equipped with the spare mounted under the front end, just behind the bumper? (Can't recall ever using the spare on our '82 Vanagon station wagon.)
68 Westy
(+ others)
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyPop wrote:
Maybe it's just fuzzy memories, but I thought the Vanagons were factory-equipped with the spare mounted under the front end, just behind the bumper? (Can't recall ever using the spare on our '82 Vanagon station wagon.)

Howdy

You are correct. There is a spare wheel compartment in the front, behind the bumper kind of under the gas tank. However, this space I used for something else. I do not mean to appear mysterious or anything but I received so much flak, harsh criticism and volley after volley of blunderbuss fire on the Vanagon forum for doing this modification that I'll say, the OEM space for the spare wheel is now unavailable.
Sad

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: