Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What do you guys tow with your van?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you guys tow with your van? Reply with quote

If you're gonna tow gear with a Westy, this looks pretty sweet:
http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=24510
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: What do you guys tow with your van? Reply with quote

Looks like the Yakima "Rack and Roll 66" trailer.
AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: What do you guys tow with your van? Reply with quote

I have been contemplating the right trailer for our family for a year now. It is time to make the purchase. I got the GW email that featured the above trailer. I need something light that I can protect my gear and also haul bikes or kayaks. I thought about the GW trailer with my roof top box mounted. I didn't like how I could not have storage with bikes on top using the GW trailer. The tires on the GW trailer look as though they may wear quickly as well. Not sure on that one. I believe I still like the below trailer better. Dry storage plus yakima mounts on top. $1900 plus $250 shipping. Seems to be a competitive price.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://smallcartrailers.us/models.html
215/70-16's

www.CatchTheKraken.com

"Never go to Alaska as a young man because you'll never be satisfied with any other place as long as you live." -John Muir
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: What do you guys tow with your van? Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
If you're gonna tow gear with a Westy, this looks pretty sweet:
http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=24510

That's pretty cool. Having variable tongue length is useful, you can keep it in short/tight, but extend it for reversing. Often a small and light trailer you can just unhitch and turn around by hand then re-connect and drive away. 165 lbs, is GREAT.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: What do you guys tow with your van? Reply with quote

The diamond plate looks good, and durable as well as light. Nice design.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rfoubi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you guys tow with your van? Reply with quote

DSC_1702 by Robin Foubister, on Flickr

IMG_4673 by Robin Foubister, on Flickr
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: What do you guys tow with your van? Reply with quote

I picked up this old Sear X-Cargo (Escargot) trailer. The shell opens from the back.

I haven't had much time to do anything else but rust proof the inner box, redo the wiring and bearings. I painted the wheels to match my CLK's. next year, maybe I'll paint to match, add some struts to the top as well.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: What do you guys tow with your van? Reply with quote

and maybe a little flag so you can see it in your mirror(s) and not forget it's back there Wink

BTW, nice trailer
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: What do you guys tow with your van? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
and maybe a little flag so you can see it in your mirror(s) and not forget it's back there Wink

BTW, nice trailer

Thx.

And yes, exactly ! Smile

I have an old 10ft fiberglass CB whip antenna I'll cut down and mount on the passenger rear corner.

I can barely see the top of the trailer via the rear view mirror at the right driving angle.

I'm not happy with the Incandescent lights. Methinks I gotta go LED to have them truly useful.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: What do you guys tow with your van? Reply with quote

jjf2468 wrote:
I really want to tow my Notch w/EJ25 powered auto '87 Westy. But w/no ugly dolly, trailer, etc. What y'all think about a "rv" tow bar setup like in pic for long distances or even trips to local shows? I feel a worn out type 3 front/end, relying on locking column (is on a '73 irs pan), bumper mounts, etc. as well as crappy big brakes on Westy, being an auto & needing a solid bumper that ties into tow hooks are reasons to avoid!? Lemme know & thanks much...

danfromsyr wrote:
you'll want to tow it by the front frame head. you'll want to go into the Type3 forum and see what the T-III guys do.

regarding the van, I'd recommend upgrading the brakes to a ventillated set. especially if you'll be doing any western state Mtn passes. the cost of the upgrade will be about the same as your insurance deductible and less than the repairs you'll incure.
also an external AT trans cooler with t-stat and fan.

lastly you'll want a better made rear hitch than one that bolts to the tow loops.

all in you'll need about $1~$2k to do this properly.
you'll also want to keep your tires in the top %50-100 you have alot riding on them.. sell them off at %50life.

jjf2468 wrote:
I really want to tow my Notch w/EJ25 powered auto '87 Westy. But w/no ugly dolly, trailer, etc. What y'all think about a "rv" tow bar setup like in pic for long distances or even trips to local shows? I feel a worn out type 3 front/end, relying on locking column (is on a '73 irs pan), bumper mounts, etc. as well as crappy big brakes on Westy, being an auto & needing a solid bumper that ties into tow hooks are reasons to avoid!? Lemme know & thanks much...

jjf2468 wrote:
thnx for the needed info. i currently am running Vanagain's audi based 2wd kit that was one of the 1st's (sku : bigbrake1). felt like 50% better braking but not what expected, passenger bearing(s) noisy already & some pulsating of course (~2k mi's)! tires are next, been squeaking by w/1800lb per corner street XL+ load Sumi's :~(. actually work well but yes time for some Nokians I think. really want Geolanders but not rated enuff for my size. yes, not to bar related anymore everyone. shld have pm'd, peace out! VW Nationals in Kent, WA state all weekend. gonna be hot! good for us, not good for motors, tracks & racing.

jjf2468 wrote:
good oil cooler (large flat not tube style, no fan on it), stock t-stat doing it's job well & braided ss lines on all corners...

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whip618
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: What do you guys tow with your van? Reply with quote

I use my syncro for all types of hauling projects including hauling firewood which it does well with this 4'x6' trailer.

This picture was taken in the Jemez Mountains in January back on some very difficult roads but the syncro handled it with ease, it is really pleasing to see the surprise on the face of other woodcutters when they ask what kind of vehicle is that and they are told it's just a vw van.

Phil

Samba Member No. 3307
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you guys tow with your van? Reply with quote

Avocado Trees

Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: What do you guys tow with your van? Reply with quote

Baah, I thought its Colorado trees
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: What do you guys tow with your van? Reply with quote

It looks kind of flimsy to me:

https://www.hitchhotel.com/

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you guys tow with your van? Reply with quote

Just completed a 1000 mile trip with this setup. Its a cargo pro trailer designed to be towed by motorcycles...about 360 pounds empty with a 1000 pound total limit.
We have two kids now in car seats. Last summer I would pitch a tent just to store the clutter when camping. This trailer is perfect for us. No more clutter in the van!
I do notice the weight on the hills. 2.5 Subi motor.
I put the rack system on the trailer after I bought it and use a stick to prop it open with the weight of bikes on the lid for now but a strut upgrade would solve that issue.
SAMBA!
wooden nickel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: What do you guys tow with your van? Reply with quote

This is what I took to the 2018 National Van-In.
The flap on the tent makes an awing and the bike just fits. I have a garage when camping!
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: What do you guys tow with your van? Reply with quote

wooden nickel wrote:
This is what I took to the 2018 National Van-In.
The flap on the tent makes an awing and the bike just fits. I have a garage when camping!

Very nice! Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Noblecr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you guys tow with your van? Reply with quote

66" yakima rack and roll

Carrying 2 16" delta kayaks, 2 mountain bikes

Folds up to nothing in the garage too

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you guys tow with your van? Reply with quote

Looking for information on tow bars I found this thread so I thought I'd post some photos...

700 lb u-haul trailer, 500 lb motorcycle, assorted gear. This was a one-time deal.n The U-haul trailer is rock-solid. I've rented them a few times to haul motorcycles.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
914subaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you guys tow with your van? Reply with quote

After removing the H6 and wire harness I hauled the rusted out Subaru Outback shell in for scrap. No worries, I have Big brakes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: