Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RHD
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: RHD Reply with quote

I am not into Wedgies at all, but... a friend of mine is looking to get into VWs again and found this "item". Though I did tell him to run away from it, it does have some features I'd consider very rare, at least this side of the pond. It is a watercooled '83 camper, does not presently run and of course, needs some work, but it is selling really cheap! I think he said like $800 and I believe it should go much lower. Confused

Yes, it is a vanAgone and watercooled even, BUT, here's where it gets interesting... it is a RHD!!! Not just that! The camper top, though not a Dormobile, tilts to the side just like them!!! Shocked

So, I still recommended that he steers away from it since he doesn't know much about them and I know enough not to want to bother with them! However, I think this is indeed a bit of a rare bird which should not go to waste and I'm hoping some interested soul may be up to saving it. The RHD is sitting in the desert and apparently "needs to go" so this sounds like an opportunity for the right person. Cool

If anyone here is "in the know" about how much this specimen would bring $$$ in running condition, please help! Anxious
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a home grown camper to me and a real project. Not for the faint of heart.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this much: it is an import from the UK with most, if not all the goodies inside! A project non the less, but still a RHD with the side tilt top! Razz

I'm just curious about it's worth but NOT into it in any way shape or form, including any monetary compensation. Rather see it picked up by anyone interested in getting back on the road. That's why I am posting it here where the Wedgie savvy folks hang out. Cool
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: RHD Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
If anyone here is "in the know" about how much this specimen would bring $$$ in running condition, please help! Anxious

Gee, where to start?

The 83 wbx is the hardest to get hoses for. It is the beginning of a 2.5 year run of 1.9L engines. Engines good, hose system the worst.

It likely has the crummy front lower suspension arms too.

These things can be upgraded to the later parts. You just have to get the bits or do an engine swap or be creative.

But, I mention only a few big early wbx things.

Now being a RHD, I bet the sliding door is on the left? Should be. Or does it have double sliding doors? Or no sliding doors?

You ain't gonna find left side sliding door parts in Dago or any where easy in the whole USA.

What ever it is, it is either a Europe special or home made. Both very very hard to support here in the US. Most of us USE our vans and they are not show cars, so the parts thing is a biggie for most of us. It WILL be hard to support that van.

Oh ya, it has been sitting baking out there too. You will need lots of new rubbers. Again, this can be a problem for some choice bits.

What is it worth? Who the hell knows? It is worth what someone will pay for it.

It is worth it to someone who, like me, rips all the crappy mechanical stuff out, and upgrades. This is neither simple nor cheap. You end up with a reliable van YOU like, but may not have much value to someone els.

Face it, this van is special. Special maybe not in a good way for most typical users.

It seem unique and could be a good show piece, if you want to invest in static art.

Our desert is so big East of us in SD, that I find it hard to believe that this relic needs to move from where it is at. But, whatever, I hear of several weird things out there.

So to answer you question of the value if it runs it is worth somewhere between maybe a $1000 and $3000 or so because it is just so damn odd. This is sort of a guess. Most of us would NOT buy it. The stock 83.5 is just too hard for sane humans to keep up on with out a total ground up rebuild with all sorts for fresh and hard to get parts. Not a practical van for many of us. I think, once running, it would break again soon.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
That's why I am posting it here where the Wedgie savvy folks hang out. Cool

Wedgie

That's funnieeeee.....

NEVER, EVER, heard them described like that.

Right up there with "Swallow Tail."

I guess, I am just getting old......

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: RHD Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
pyrOman wrote:

Gee, where to start?

The 83 wbx is the hardest to get hoses for. It is the beginning of a 2.5 year run of 1.9L engines. Engines good, hose system the worst.

It likely has the crummy front lower suspension arms too.

These things can be upgraded to the later parts. You just have to get the bits or do an engine swap or be creative.

But, I mention only a few big early wbx things.

Now being a RHD, I bet the sliding door is on the left? Should be. Or does it have double sliding doors? Or no sliding doors?

You ain't gonna find left side sliding door parts in Dago or any where easy in the whole USA.

What ever it is, it is either a Europe special or home made. Both very very hard to support here in the US. Most of us USE our vans and they are not show cars, so the parts thing is a biggie for most of us. It WILL be hard to support that van.

Oh ya, it has been sitting baking out there too. You will need lots of new rubbers. Again, this can be a problem for some choice bits.

What is it worth? Who the hell knows? It is worth what someone will pay for it.

It is worth it to someone who, like me, rips all the crappy mechanical stuff out, and upgrades. This is neither simple nor cheap. You end up with a reliable van YOU like, but may not have much value to someone els.

Face it, this van is special. Special maybe not in a good way for most typical users.

It seem unique and could be a good show piece, if you want to invest in static art.

Our desert is so big East of us in SD, that I find it hard to believe that this relic needs to move from where it is at. But, whatever, I hear of several weird things out there.

So to answer you question of the value if it runs it is worth somewhere between maybe a $1000 and $3000 or so because it is just so damn odd. This is sort of a guess. Most of us would NOT buy it. The stock 83.5 is just too hard for sane humans to keep up on with out a total ground up rebuild with all sorts for fresh and hard to get parts. Not a practical van for many of us. I think, once running, it would break again soon.

Awesome! Thank you very much for the honest assesment as it is exactly what I was looking for. Again, I have no interest in it other than hopefully finding someone to bring it back from a sure death, being so unique. I have tiny phone pix. Looks in good shape body wise but mechanically I would not want to touch it. I've seen a Rabbit engine conversion in one that seemed to work well. But with plenty of projects of my own, this ain't gonna be one of them. Will try to get my friend to email bigger and more detail pictures. Maybe then someone will brave up and pick it. Cool
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

methinks the brits called them that, or is it Bricks?

is it just me or did you find the original post hard to read?
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This way over my head but a simple question. Being RHD, would it be licensable in North America to be a "daily" driver vehicle Question . I have no idea and that's why I ask. Pics would be neat and Embarassed I don't know what you mean by "wedgie". Well I know a wedgie but I don't know what it's use here is Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
I am not into Wedgies at all, but... a friend of mine is looking to get into VWs again and found this "item". Though I did tell him to run away from it, it does have some features I'd consider very rare, at least this side of the pond. It is a watercooled '83 camper, does not presently run and of course, needs some work, but it is selling really cheap! I think he said like $800 and I believe it should go much lower. Confused

Yes, it is a vanAgone and watercooled even, BUT, here's where it gets interesting... it is a RHD!!! Not just that! The camper top, though not a Dormobile, tilts to the side just like them!!! Shocked

So, I still recommended that he steers away from it since he doesn't know much about them and I know enough not to want to bother with them! However, I think this is indeed a bit of a rare bird which should not go to waste and I'm hoping some interested soul may be up to saving it. The RHD is sitting in the desert and apparently "needs to go" so this sounds like an opportunity for the right person. Cool

I would not touch the thing with the proverbial 10 foot pole.
Right hand drive ? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Who wants a right hand drive vehicle in the US ? I had an Aston (before a divorce that is Laughing Laughing Laughing ) was a RHD and a RPITA (Royal Pain in the Ace)
The camper top tilts to the side ? WOW Exclamation WOW Exclamation
Now I am impressed, probably worth spending $10 grands on it and storing it in a museum as such a rarissimo beast and wait to realize that it was chopped home made job Laughing Laughing Laughing

And even then if it were a unique model, only one built a the factory, then WHAT Question Question Question
Would that make it better for any purpose or is it an EGO trip or speculation ??

How much is it worth ? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

""" Yes Mister, THIS is mine Exclamation There is only ONE like THIS, YESSSS Sir Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation """"

"" And it's worth millions of rupees """ Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

and my daddy is bigger than yours Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
This way over my head but a simple question. Being RHD, would it be licensable in North America to be a "daily" driver vehicle Question . I have no idea and that's why I ask. Pics would be neat and Embarassed I don't know what you mean by "wedgie". Well I know a wedgie but I don't know what it's use here is Rolling Eyes

They just look like a wedge to me! Just like "phatchicks", a term of endearment. Wink

I see plenty of RHD vehicles locally licensed and all over the roads here all the time. So as long as you drive in the correct lane, it doesn't matter where the steering wheel is! Cool
vwcampin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing one that sounds similar at Busses No Where near the Arch a number of years back. Actually it was this one, RHD, diesel:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
There was also a similar one at Everybus a number of years ago as well that the top popped similar to this one except it extended out over the side a ways. It had a really different camper layout with stove, oven, shower off the back hatch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD Reply with quote

VisPacem wrote:
pyrOman wrote:

I would not touch the thing with the proverbial 10 foot pole.
Right hand drive ? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Who wants a right hand drive vehicle in the US ? I had an Aston (before a divorce that is Laughing Laughing Laughing ) was a RHD and a RPITA (Royal Pain in the Ace)
The camper top tilts to the side ? WOW Exclamation WOW Exclamation
Now I am impressed, probably worth spending $10 grands on it and storing it in a museum as such a rarissimo beast and wait to realize that it was chopped home made job Laughing Laughing Laughing

And even then if it were a unique model, only one built a the factory, then WHAT Question Question Question
Would that make it better for any purpose or is it an EGO trip or speculation ??

How much is it worth ? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

""" Yes Mister, THIS is mine Exclamation There is only ONE like THIS, YESSSS Sir Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation """"

"" And it's worth millions of rupees """ Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

and my daddy is bigger than yours Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Thanks for your input. But maybe you should get a bit more excited about it! Wink
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the few times I've driven a RHD I do fine until I go around a curve or turn. I'd be way toooooo dangerous to drive one in N.A. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwcampin wrote:
I remember seeing one that sounds similar at Busses No Where near the Arch a number of years back. Actually it was this one, RHD, diesel:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There was also a similar one at Everybus a number of years ago as well that the top popped similar to this one except it extended out over the side a ways. It had a really different camper layout with stove, oven, shower off the back hatch.

From the little pix I got it looks just like this one alright. Thanks! Cool
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like a driver's side sliding door, rather than on the passenger side but it's not going to happen.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
I'd like a driver's side sliding door, rather than on the passenger side but it's not going to happen.

I'm looking to hack one into my Dormy and make it a double door! Razz
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Being RHD, would it be licensable in North America to be a "daily" driver vehicle

I've had a RHD fastback for over 15 years. It was my daily driver for over 10 of those years. Everything is the same except you are driving from the passenger seat. Parallel parking is a breeze and getting out in traffic is easy because you get in/out on the sidewalk side. I almost prefer the RHD.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points.

I can only have a door on one side due to the layout of my Riviera. But having a sliding door on the same side as the driver's door would be sooo much easier for parcels, etc. Then you don't have to walk around the van.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those silly guys over the pond refer to the vanagons as a T25 or wedge.
The problem with a RHD vanagon is that the slider is on our driver's side like pictured making it a PITA to deal with kids or a dog getting out on the traffic side. If it was a double slider(a rare option) then you can get in from either side but it seriously cuts down on you camping options because of no place for sink/fridge/stove unit.
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of RHD cars and vans on the road here in Vancouver.

If it is in nice shape then it might be worth putting a slider door on the right hand side, just get the bits from a wreck. spendy unless you have the skillz.
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: