Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

14 Inch Tire Question
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 14 Inch Tire Question Reply with quote

aspendog wrote:
I've done some searching on the threads regarding tires but got a bit overwhelmed so here goes. Whats the best currently available tire to go on the stock 14 inch rims for a Westy?

As you did not specifically mention -Westfalia- I shall add my two dinars.
When I bought my van, 89 Wolfsburg it had 205-70-14 Cooper tires on factory alloys.
The reason I changed them is that someone offered me a set of 15 inch with tires for a fistful of said dinars. When time came to replace the tires I went with Yokohama TRZ 215-70-15 but that is another story.

I was completely satisfied with the Cooper tires and am just fine with the Yok **except** on ice, worthless on ice/frozen snow.

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:
One of the Nokian, especially since you're in Michigan.

X2, if you drive your rig during winter.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm...any news lately from aspendog? What'd you decide? Inquiring minds...

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You don't de-rate XL tires, *IF* I read the below right as they are reinforced

I believe this is a misreading of the site. The actual D.O.T. specifications say that ALL passenger car tires - which would include XL tires - must be derated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
Quote:
You don't de-rate XL tires, *IF* I read the below right as they are reinforced

I believe this is a misreading of the site. The actual D.O.T. specifications say that ALL passenger car tires - which would include XL tires - must be derated.

That would make the factory-equipped Michelin MXL below "spec."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomenclatures were different back then. The original 185R14 tires were load range C, which today would be an LT tire and therefore will not be derated. The "sidewall reinforced" designation used on the OEM tires no longer exists. This roughly corresponds to an XL designation but I do not see anything to indicate that the designations are identical. The Roadhaus site that was referenced actually says, half way down the page, that current XL rated tires would still have to be derated. The DOT specifications also do not exclude XL tires from that requirement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your input Ron

my syncro door sticker lists 3 tires
a reinforced passenger tire rated for 1580 lbs @ 40 psi

the 185 tire rated 1710 lbs @ 55psi

and a 6/8 ply tire, rated 2270 lbs @ 65psi

the concern is only about the reinforced passenger tire rated 1580@40psi

compared to the Altimax, rated 1610 @ 44 psi.. it would seem to me, no matter how your derate both the Altimax and the original passenger tire, that the Altimax marginally qualifies.. personally I would not use it though.. since there are other 14" choices with higher load and inflation ratings

for example the 195R14 BFG AT, rated 1710 lbs @ 65 psi, good in dirt, ok on pavement and ok in snow

the Hankook 185 or 195 (specs not listed at busdepot.com, but I believe they are 1875 lbs @ 65psi). not for dirt or snow, only pavement

and the Nokians.. I dont have the specs, but they are higher rated than the Hankooks good for everything, dirt, pavement, and fantastic in snow
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:

and the Nokians.. I dont have the specs, but they are higher rated than the Hankooks good for everything, dirt, pavement, and fantastic in snow

Last month I installed a set of Nokian Hakkapellita CSs. They are rated at 1874 lbs. at 65 psi. These are all-weather rather than all-terrain or all-season. The improved handling on cornering is very noticeable as is the performance on doubletrack. I assume from their reputation that they will stand up well to snow, but I haven't tested that myself yet. They are quiet and haven't impacted fuel economy. All in all, I really like these tires.

Side note: I ran across a truck weigh station with 3 adults and one child, no camping gear or water and it came in at 4900 lbs. Using the formula (gross vehicle weight/(tire rating * 4)) * max. tire psi, they should be inflated to 42 front and 47 rear.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the Hankook 185 or 195 (specs not listed at busdepot.com, but I believe they are 1875 lbs @ 65psi). not for dirt or snow, only pavement

They are not suitable for offroad use (mud, sand, etc.) as they are a street tire and do not have an offroad tread. Nor can they - or any all-season tire - compare to a high-end directional snow tire like the Vredestein Comtrac Winter (which we sell) or the equivalent Nokian. But as far as all-season street tires go, they are the best I've ever used in snow. At least as good as the Michelins, better than the Bridgestones and most of the others, and of course infinitely better than the Conti's and Yoko's (which are actually summer tires and not recommended for winter dirving at all)
aspendog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After much soul-searching I decided on the Hankook 195R14s. I got them through Discount Tire at the same price as advertised on Bus Depot (I didnt want to pay the shipping!). I will be mostly weekending with an occasional long road trip so these seemed like the best for my situation. Thanks to everyone for the input. Smile
jerrydog411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll love 'em. Smooth, stable & quiet.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - these are GREAT "good-weather" (ie: dry & wet, NOT snow & mud) tires. I do a lot of camping in national forest campgrounds and it's fun to work these dogs out a bit on a long gravel road. Understand, I'm not a syncro but I don't mind if the van gets dirty once in a while!

Happy trails!

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
nolsvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Like my Hancooks on my gl. Reply with quote

kshbaja wrote:
i have the hankook 195s and have been very happy with them. i would certainly recommend them.
After the 15" mercedes rim time hole ,I decided to keep 14,s & go w/ the Hancook 195 tires. Very satisfying & the price was right in Orange Co. @ econo tire (714) 828 2351. Great artwork in waiting room,cool people. "ride to camp, camp to live"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread appropriately revived on the 1-year anniversary of the original poster's question.

PS - I, too, like the 'Kooks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: