Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

aircooled starting issues
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barnsleytrucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: aircooled starting issues Reply with quote

Hi, all
So the kids while trying to learn how to drive standard managed to fry the starter ( 1st gear,clutch out, just keep cranking it will go eventually Shocked ). Replaced it with a spare that I had from a water boxer but it turns slowly unless I put the booster cables to it. Is this starter the problem as I see they have a different part No. on the online vendors. I took off all the ground straps & cleaned them & it made no difference. Also there is a switch on top of the engine that looks like the throttle pivot should hit it at WOT, mine doesn't. What is it for? For a parts car bought for the Tranny that the kids fell in love with this thing is taking a lot of my time.
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure about the starter but I do not think they are interchangeable. You just have to adjust the throttle switch so the switch is on when the accelerator pedal is fully depressed. Do you have a bentley?
Barnsleytrucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a bentley and now you have identified the switch I can work from there. I am thinking that the starter is wrong too, think there may be some binding somewhere. Anyone else had the same problem?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the starter will fit without the solenoid hitting anything then it should work as the bell housings and flywheels are pretty much the same. There are two different WBXer starters, a smaller on for the 1.9 and a larger one for the 2.1. I guess the later starter might draw too many amps for the air cooled wiring, but really have no idea, your battery might be marginal as well.

I had a later starter on my 1.9 and had no problems with the amp draw.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: