Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

62 Convertible farm find & questions
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
icemanhd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: 62 Convertible farm find & questions Reply with quote

Brought home a 2 owner 62 ghia convertible last night. Overall other than being filthy the body is relatively straight with little rust and its never been hit in the nose. It is missing the front/rear bumpers and the drivers side door glass is broken but other than that its essentially complete. It was originally pacific blue but was repainted in the late 60s the horrid orange color, even the top is original (but in tatters).

I bought 2 ghias last week as well, a 68 coupe which is 60% complete with a body off resto and a 69 parts car. I want to focus my attention on the convertible since its older and is a drop top so I'm having a no reserve fire sale on the 68 coupe on e bay, I just listed it last night.

Questions (thanks in advance for any/all help)!!!
1. The engine serial number is funky, from talking to the previous owners they never had the engine changed and they bought it in 1970 so I would assume original engine but the S/N is 6034828 which lines up with the engine numbers from 61/62 bugs but is miles off the 40 hp serial numbers used on ghias. Any thoughts? Perhaps it was swapped with a bug 40 hp motor?

2. I have searched Samba and struck out, any idea where I could get a drivers window? From info on Samba it appears all the convertible windows are the same from 59.5 till 74.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

76 912E
87 911 Carrera
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ghiaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice score on the Ghias.

Sent you a PM on the window glass.

Karmann Ghia & Beetle parts available.
Convertible tops installed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good project, best of luck with it. Cool

There are a few ads for cabrio door glass-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=941736
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=879969
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=361007
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=722958
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=910999
icemanhd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I searched the other night and came up blank, I should have varied my search words! My mind is pretty preoccupied since I have bought 3 cars in 1 week, trying to find places to park/put them all.
76 912E
87 911 Carrera
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Nice find! Reply with quote

Looks like a nice solid car - I'm in the middle of restoring a Pacific Blue '63 convertible too- wish I could help you more with your engine question -Do you have any more pictures of it? I'd love to see more of the interior, especially if it's original....
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
icemanhd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, my brain has re-engaged... I had searched Samba for the differences between the convertible and coupe door glass and those are all for coupes which have the rounded rear corner. Thanks for the leads, keep them coming!!!
76 912E
87 911 Carrera
Ghiaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icemanhd wrote:
Ok, my brain has re-engaged... those are all for coupes which have the rounded rear corner. Thanks for the leads, keep them coming!!!

Coupes have the pointed upper rear corner.
Convertibles are rounded.

Karmann Ghia & Beetle parts available.
Convertible tops installed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
icemanhd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moogie32, just sent you a pm with my e mail address and asking for yours. I have a few other pics posted in the ghia vert gallery and will post some pics of the interior in the gallery after I get it cleaned up this weekend.
76 912E
87 911 Carrera
Scooterboyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful when taking off the front turn signals. The studs on the back tend to break off easy when removing them. Use PB Blaster on the nuts.
59 - Convertible Raceable Baja Bug
63 - Dune Buggy
65 - Single Cab
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghia engine numbers don't jive with the listing. I have a 69 with the original engine, verified via original paper work where the engine number is noted in the owners manual.
The number doesn't mesh with the Ghia list but falls in the proper time slot for the Beetles.

I've asked this question and Everett responded ......

"The Ghia charts on the site a little wacky as there is no "official" VW dealer charts like the other model types.

When in doubt, I reference the Beetle chart and it usually matches up correctly."

Here's to link to that post...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392242&highlight=

On the door glass check out this recent thread, it has photos to help identify the glass.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=410189

dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
icemanhd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the replies! Knowing that the Ghia Vin/Engine number charts are a little whacky really helps. Since the (former) current owners got the car in 1970 I suspected the motor was original. Knowing that is a very strong possibility leads me to the conclusion if I cant get it running I'll rebuild it.

Its currently locked/frozen but they say as recent as a year ago they would go out and turn it over without starting it (probably the worst thing they could have done). Suspect the rings are rusted to the cylinders so if some pb blaster fogged in the plug hole and some rocking back and forth doesn't do it, I'll pull it and go through it. If it had been swapped I would just swap it out again with another 40 hp...

Complete double brain lapse on my part on the door glass, yes I checked the RH side and its rounded so that is what I'm after and will reply back to a PM from ghiaaddict.

Spent the afternoon pulling the 68 and 69 I bought last week to a neutral location since I promised the seller I would have them out in a week... I have too many ghia projects in flow at the same time (not to mention my 57 oval and 67 blowthrough turbo). I will be updating the e bay listing on the 68 ghia (auction is currently at $105 with no reserve) tomorrow to include pics of the specific rust repair parts from KGPR that are included in that auction. If only there was a ghia chassis based kit car!

Again, thanks to all!!!!
76 912E
87 911 Carrera
vdublammy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice score. I picked up a original owner blake plate 62 sedan a month ago.
Peace,
Mike
lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looks like it has the original Lemmerz wheel trim rings. If they are in good shape, those a worth a lot of buck$$
icemanhd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major major scrub down this weekend on the new find. Despite sitting for years and years (although it was covered) it was beyond filthy. After going through the car with a trash can, brushing and vacuuming as much as possible, powerwashing under the front hood and interior (yes, I powerwashed the interior, I had to - some very mucky water got in there), dousing the power washed areas with 3 quarts of rubbing alcohol (to absorb the water and evaporate), and some scrubbing on the interior panels and seats the car looks MUCH better. I think the door panels are usable with some repair, passenger seat is in great shape (but the vinyl is stiff/brittle) and 1/2 of the back seat is great but brittle.

Left hand side of motor (#3 and #4) is why it won't turn over, some moisture got in there and rusted the rings to the cylinders. I'll pull the motor and at least hone the cylinders, put new rings in, and do a valve job. Dependent how the rest of it looks I might split the case just to clean it up and check the bearings.

76 912E
87 911 Carrera
icemanhd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad, I posted the same pic twice above. Here is the missing one.

76 912E
87 911 Carrera
seanboy69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: 62 Convertible farm find & questions Reply with quote

Looks great!!!! My wife would love to get a Ghia Vert!!!!!
1962 baha
2276 in progress
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tondemonai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent you a PM - I have both windows off a 66 vert.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, looks MUCH better!!!

New upholstery in original material can be had for a fair price, don't sweat it and it is "easy" to put on.

The engine? I just tore down an engine which would NOT rotate. Had been sitting for a few years and as it turns out had been immersed in water and I also thought, rings rusted to the cylinders. After pulling the head and literally smashing one cylinder off of the piston (totally rusted on) it turned out to be # 1 Main rusted to the crankshaft was my main problem. I had to literally beat that bearing off with a hammer and a drift!!
The engine otherwise was in GOOD shape, no pounded mains, the bores were still the proper size and round. I ended up getting the crank turned .0010 and it is in the process of reassembly. I have a pile of heads so I swapped them out for some better ones as well as pistons and cylinders.
Over all this will be a very inexpensive stock displacement rebuild! I have an engine that only got about 10,000 miles on a rebuild (unknown builder) before it spun the #1 main. Most of those good parts have gone into the rebuild.

Keep us updated on your progress....

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Broadacus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Convertible farm find & questions Reply with quote

seanboy69 wrote:

Mines getting one!!

http://www.tomholdermark.co.uk/KGOC/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27

Cool
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Convertible farm find & questions Reply with quote

Broadacus wrote:
seanboy69 wrote:

Mines getting one!!

http://www.tomholdermark.co.uk/KGOC/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27

Cool

Nice car, are you going to let her drive it Wink Question
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: