Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Running Hot?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWest77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Running Hot? Reply with quote

Ok,

I have been reading the forums for the last few days on heat issues. And now need some reassurance.

I have a new to me 1971 1600dp svda... had trouble with the vacuum retard, so disconnected (plugged the carb, not the canister), timed to 7.5 BDTC.

While I have been making adjustments, I will periodically drive for 10 - 20 minutes, stop and then check things out.

I have a oil temp sensor (PO installed). It never hits 210. Normally runs 180 or cooler.

I have also been checking the rear engine tin, and the oil dipstick. When I was having trouble initially, it was hot hot. Then I thought I had come to some conclusions making it seem much cooler.

Now, I went for a drive, checked it out, and the whole thing seemed really hot. Even the dipstick handle was hot. The oil temp gauge didn't read high... but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

So, basically I am wondering if type 2's get this hot normally... because I really don't know to be honest. Now I am just second guessing myself over and over. And also, what would you advise me to do to attempt to remedy the problem.

I am considering:
-Double check the engine fan for debris.
-Retard the timing slightly?
-Richen the idle mixture?
-Check for any possibility of vacuum leaks...

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
RocketRod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do those things you are considering. No exhaust leaks? Is the dipstick to hot to hold? How about using a infrared temp gun. Stop by a local garage and ask if they have one and will check you temp for you. An ACVW will heat soak a bit after a run.
VWest77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No exhaust leaks. The lower part of the dipstick is too hot to hold. The handle is quite hot, but can still manage to hold it.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is all of the tin work there? Engine to body seal good? Have you tried setting the timing to 28º at about 3500 RPMs?

Where is the oil temp sender mounted at?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your '71 SHOULD have the all important one year only front firewall tin piece. Take some pictures of the engine compartment for us to see.
ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

34 pict 3? I would also check those jets. Be sure thay are not beetle sized.
VWest77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Is all of the tin work there? Engine to body seal good? Have you tried setting the timing to 28º at about 3500 RPMs?

Where is the oil temp sender mounted at?

All of the tin is there. Engine to body seal needs to be replaced. I have one, but I am almost worried about it becoming disfigured or something because of the heat around the engine tin. Any tips on installing the seal on a type 2? I've been looking around but can't find anything. I have only ever installed a type 4 seal.

I will go through the tune up procedures and do a double check, take a few pictures and get back to you guys.

Thanks.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sort of gets to a choice. Seal melting or engine melting. Ok, which seal? Horizontal sides and rear or the vertical front? Putting them in depend on how damaged, bent up and cruddy dirty the seal channels are. If everything is wonderfully clean and nice the worst is that you would have to remove the rear apron. But if it all has been neglected in the past you might have to pull the engine and do a lot of cleanup and straightening of the channels. Busses require some serious work. Some install the double flap rear seal rear seal with one flap above and one flap below the rear tin. I put them both under. Also that seal you want to cut into 3 lengths. One to fit around the apron and 2 to go on the body sides. No gap where they join.
maximan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long to you wait to touch the dipstick or engine after ending your drive? If you wait a few minutes, the heat that was being pushed out with the cooling air stops getting pushed out and the heat rises and the engine heats up. It's called heat soak.
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWest77 wrote:
No exhaust leaks. The lower part of the dipstick is too hot to hold. The handle is quite hot, but can still manage to hold it.

If you can hold the handle you're probably ok. Keep a close eye on it but you may just not be used to what "normal" is. The dipstick handle test isn't exact but many will tell you that if you can hold it a few seconds not to worry.
VWest77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so if I can hold the handle, I should be alright? You are probably right, I am just not used to what normal is... but it sure does seem hot (the rear apron/oil dipstick.) The apron should get really hot with the exhaust I suppose... and If you say as long as I can hold the dipstick handle I should be alright.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the apron and rear tin do get hot, they are right over the muffler. The key here is do your testing immediately when you come to a stop, if it sits anytime heat soaks up into places that aren't that hot when it's driving.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Have you tried setting the timing to 28º at about 3500 RPMs?

This is good advice. Make sure you at least check to see what your timing advances to when you bring the RPMs up, maybe something is wonky in the distributor. Remove the vacuum hose(s) so that you only see the effects of the centrifugal advance.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Running Hot? Reply with quote

VWest77 wrote:
I have a oil temp sensor (PO installed). It never hits 210. Normally runs 180 or cooler.

Do you know if it is accurate? Mine reads 40 degrees higher than it actually is. I verified that with a Raytek infrared thermometer and a Pyrex calibrated deep fry thermometer.

Now I know for sure that my engine is running at the correct temps.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWest77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sped372 wrote:
Randy in Maine wrote:
Have you tried setting the timing to 28º at about 3500 RPMs?

This is good advice. Make sure you at least check to see what your timing advances to when you bring the RPMs up, maybe something is wonky in the distributor. Remove the vacuum hose(s) so that you only see the effects of the centrifugal advance.

I have checked the maximum advance with the timing light before. I found it really hard because at the higher rpms the light seemed to lose it. I could see where the maximum advance was (barely)... but I always did it with the hoses on... and to 30-32 degrees. You're saying to take the vacuum hoses off and time the maximum advance to 28 degrees?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the hoses and time it when all of the centrifical advance it has in all in (which whould be around 3500 or so) and make that to be about 28-30º BTDC. Tighten it down. Put the hoses back on.

Let it loaf back to idle and set the idle speed. Note the initial timing at idle but don't change it. Go for a ride and see how it does.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it still runs hot you just might want to check your Jetting.
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You never mentioned what carb is on there; if so, original German Solex 34-3 jetted for Bus??? You imply that you have the original DVDA distributor with the retard port plugged. Is the retard port plugged on the carb? Are you using the '71 only oil bath air filter? That may not make a difference(different year models can be made to work), unless you are using an aftermarket air filter. That may not make a difference either with your high engine temps. Others may disagree.
You also say your timing light whacks out at high rpms. Is the gun faulty, or is your distributor scattering the timing mark so bad that you can't see it??? If you have timing mark scatter, you better consider the condition of the distributor.
VWest77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody '71 wrote:
You never mentioned what carb is on there; if so, original German Solex 34-3 jetted for Bus??? You imply that you have the original DVDA distributor with the retard port plugged. Is the retard port plugged on the carb? Are you using the '71 only oil bath air filter? That may not make a difference(different year models can be made to work), unless you are using an aftermarket air filter. That may not make a difference either with your high engine temps. Others may disagree.
You also say your timing light whacks out at high rpms. Is the gun faulty, or is your distributor scattering the timing mark so bad that you can't see it??? If you have timing mark scatter, you better consider the condition of the distributor.

I'm just going to work on it right now.

The carb is a Solex h30/31 (I know a lot of you don't like that). The retard port is plugged at carb (not at vacuum can). Using the oil bath air cleaner.

I will let you know how things go.
VWest77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took off the vacuum hose, plugged it, timed maximum centrifugal advance to 28-30 degrees. (I needed to retard my timing a little.)

Just going to run some errands with the bus... so we'll see how it goes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: