Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Growl from trans or TO Bearing
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Growl from trans or TO Bearing Reply with quote

This 70 bay with a 73 002 trans and Type 4 engine has developed a growl when engaging the clutch (letting the pedal come up) in gear. There is no noise when releasing (pushing pedal down), the growling starts as the bus begins to move, tried several gears and the same noise. Just pulled the new VW stamped TO bearing and replaced it with a German Sachs, same sound so I do not suspect the TO Bearing. The pilot bearing is new and well greased, there are no marks (fresh metal cuts) on the input shaft so it is not binding. Pressure plate and disk are new Sachs, flywheel is a late model 215mm.

Any ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squeaky clutch pedal pivot, clevis or drivers seat mount? Or no noise when the engines off? Any loose motor or trans mounts?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No noise when engine off, mounts front and rear good, this is a definite growl, only happens when engaged in a gear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Heliconman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our "new" throw out bearing failed after about ten drives last year. Pulled the engine and the new bearing was destroyed and the plastic sleeve that it rides on was melted. I just replaced the clutch/throw out bearing, sleeve, and pilot bearing and all seems well now. I can only assume that our new throw out bearing had been sitting on a shelf somewhere so long that the grease had dried out of it possibly. This had me wishing I had left the old one in which was in fine shape and the clutch I just changed out because I had no idea how worn it was and it was fine too.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new one prior to this new one were both German, the first one had under 500 miles on it. If the noise was present when pushing the pedal in and while holding the pedal down and not just when releasing I would suspect the new bearing is a bad one.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you pull the clutch disc while the engine was out? Any odd marks or cracks in the friction material, contact surfaces or supporting metal disc? Almost sounds like some sort of wierd chatter if it only happens while under friction.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No did not pull the plate and disk, they were new, but might have to do that.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cured: How about over running the TO Bearing. Pulled the 215mm set up, did some bench measurements and the mint condition almost new 215mm flywheel had been cut, like .200, the seller forgot to mention that to me when I bought it. Installed a 210mm set up and no more growling.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your noise could easily be one of the bearings on the input shaft of the transmission or the counter shaft. Not really very informed about the goings on inside a bus transaxle, but if it were a manual transmission for a front engine-rear wheel drive vehicle that is where I would be looking.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is cured, replacing the flywheel with another that had not been cut solved it, the TO bearing was over riding on the pressure plate. If this did not work then the main shaft bearing was next in line.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: