Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FYI - near mint 71 411 in Binghamton, NY u-pull-it
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: FYI - near mint 71 411 in Binghamton, NY u-pull-it Reply with quote

I'm not a 411/412 guy but we did own one when I was a kid.
I do know how rare and unique these are so I wanted to make sure all here who may be w/in a roadtrip distance can salvage what parts they can

I went to Gary's U-pull-it ( http://garysupullit.com/ ) in Binghamton, NY last saturday and spotted a 411 that looks like it's a 7yr old car. not new but pretty dang shiney & clean. I don't have any images, didn'thave the camera w/me.
it's compelte, from headlights to tails
has the engine, Automatic, gas heater & interior (brown vinyl w/no rips)

it truely is a shame to see such a easily fixable car tossed to the junkyard, they could have easily gotten double the $$ but it's likely from an estate clean out.

I can't go back and pull any parts, Binghamton is over an hour from my place, and we're booked up on all of our free time.
but I'm hoping some of you are within driving/roadtrip distance to save doors, fenders, driveline, interior parts that will be lost forever if crushed.

easy access from I-81 & I-86 near the NY/PA border

Best of luck and hope these help other 411/412s stay on the road.

Dan in NY
VW Club of Central NY
www.vwccny.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tragic- similar things have shown up in the same type of yards around here. Unfortunately they won't sell any of the cars- I've tried. No Type 4's, but everything else you can imagine.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

add to that, here's the sales @ Gary's this weekend. 5/21,22 & 24 (closed sundays)
Quote:
THIS FRIDAY, SATURDAY, and MONDAY!

Huge Body Part Sale!

Bumper $14.99

Tailgate $14.99

Fender $14.99

Hood $14.99

Door $14.99

(all prices plus tax and core charge)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm headed to the junkyard this monday for a differant parts vehicle and will report back what is/isn't there on the 411, I'll try to remember the camera, but I don't tend to take the camera into a junkyard for damage reasons..
but this wkend June 4,5,7 Gary's has the engine & trans on sale.
*prices are +core charges.
Quote:
THIS FRIDAY, SATURDAY, and MONDAY!

Engine $99.99

Transmission $59.99

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy that transmission/transaxle as an "investment" except for Shipping! Evil or Very Mad

NO core charge on All these parts!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update to this thread
I went to Gary's to pull a replacement Eurovan 2.5 I5 engine for mom's camper, and while there took another brief look at the 411s.. Yes there's a 2nd 411 in there now, it's really SUCH A CRYING SHAME. probably a VW enthusiast who passed away and family cleaned out the " 'collection' of Dad's old junk cars"
I don't know but it's a shame, they are NOT RUSTED at all and in this area is very rare.

anyways the yellow 411 is a 2door, is now missing it's engine, though they left the Dizzy which seemed odd. (probably a buggy/trike builder then a T-4 user but it's saved from the crush anyways.
no taillights stil has it's AT trans in it.

the new 411 is a 4dr in baby blue and it's engine/trans are complete (ish) the junkyard tweaked the engine hatch as they didn't know how to release it in the back DS door frame, and why would they of course.

I've passed this info along to our local VW community as well. in hopes any VW enthusiasts who can can come and save parts before they get crushed.

as I stated above. I really can't pull parts and ship to sale, I just don't have the time or $$ to tie up and the JY is ~90 minutes from home each way.

but Binghamton, NY is 90mins from Scranton, PA so it's not too far from NY/NJ either I hope someone out here in 411/412 forums can save what they can.

Dan in NY
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: