Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Needed: Ignitor/electrode/spark plug for Dometic 182B
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
montykeel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Needed: Ignitor/electrode/spark plug for Dometic 182B Reply with quote

Yep. The wire on mine broke off down inside the ceramic insulation. Nope, Dometic doesn't make it anymore. Any chance that there is a generous soul out there with a broken or otherwise removed Westy fridge that might part with this part. One end plugs into the piezo striker (the part the makes the clicking noise) and the other end (with the ceramic insulator) plugs into the burner box.

I've called everyone I know to call and done every Samba search I can think of without finding an easy answer. Any suggestions or help are appreciated.

I am willing to pay a fair price for a decent used electrode. Confused

Thanks in advance.
firepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear mine is too, makes no click at all.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This?

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2453&category_id=382&category_parent_id=

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Or this?

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3652&category_id=382&category_parent_id=

If you call Van-Cafe or Go Westy they may have used ones to sell too.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take one out of an old propane BBQ or an instant gas water heater Wink
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hard part, when you're using a non-stock ignitor, is getting it aligned properly and the right distance for the spark to ignite the propane. If you go this route, I'd suggest making sure the burner lights with the refrigerator out before reinstalling it. That means hooking up a barbecue propane tank or whatever, but it's worth it. It's easy to get a spark without the spark lighting the propane.

There was someone selling the ignitor on the classifieds here, from Canada IIRC.

If your tungsten filament isn't broken,you might be able to reattach a wire to it with a crimp, but solder won't work.

Good luck.
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Dometic lighter/electrode Reply with quote

Items your looking for is readily available in my neck of the woods. Contact me and I'm sure I can help. Dave
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
take one out of an old propane BBQ or an instant gas water heater Wink

Same model of Dometic, same problem. I've tried a few interations of these and none of them worked. Most are too long or oriented in the wrong direction to get close enough to light. If you find something that works, please post!
montykeel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delayed Post - I eventually had a blinding flash (mild exaggeration). First, I dug out the insulation from the "well" in the ceramic insulator. I could just see a bit of the wire down in the well. I filled the well with hot solder then stuck the bare end of the wire into the solder. Pretty solid when it cooled. It threw a nice spark at the end of the electrode. Reinstalled the electrode, then reinstalled the Dometic. The #$*$^# thing still won't light.

Pretty sure I worked out another far more elegant solution. Convinced my wonderful wife that we need to buy a TruckFridge or Vitrifrigo. (see my post about spousal support).
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

montykeel wrote:
Delayed Post - I eventually had a blinding flash (mild exaggeration). First, I dug out the insulation from the "well" in the ceramic insulator. I could just see a bit of the wire down in the well. I filled the well with hot solder then stuck the bare end of the wire into the solder. Pretty solid when it cooled. It threw a nice spark at the end of the electrode. Reinstalled the electrode, then reinstalled the Dometic. The #$*$^# thing still won't light.

Pretty sure I worked out another far more elegant solution. Convinced my wonderful wife that we need to buy a TruckFridge or Vitrifrigo. (see my post about spousal support).

There is a thread (in the stickies?) that describes how to adjust to make the ignition process work (better?)

But, a newer refer don't hurt. I am thinking of the 64 model TruckFridge, which is bigger and still fits the cabinet (with a bit more cutting then the other smaller one.) The newer refer doesn't run off gas though. Sad I am figuring out just how to integrate the best (for our use) of the Westy into my new Multivan. Propane for the Propex and some sort of refer and maybe a sink, too. I am considering something like the below with a water tank, maybe:

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing with mine, solder doesn't work though it seems like it ought to.
montykeel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Californio- the solder did work. I get a good spark with the electrode not installed. But the fridge still won't light. Could be the spark throwing to the wrong place or could be plugged jet (or about a dozen other things)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: