Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AA pistons and barrels
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiwi1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: AA pistons and barrels Reply with quote

Hi
Has anybody built a 36 hp motor and put a good milage on it using AA pistons and barrels. I can get a set of these over here in New Zealand for appros US $265.00. My other option is to get a german set from the USA, (Vintage Parts) but I will be up for about $750.00 US inc freight /taxes.

Thanks Ross
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good compromise on price between the two is the Wolfsburg West set, which when I bought it a couple months ago were German KS barrels and AA pistons, I believe, which are made in China. I spoke to the guys at Vintage Parts and they said their customers have been happy with the AA Products ones--they sell those along with the German sets when they can lay hands on them.
sparkleplenty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really lucked out. I bought a set on here under the classifieds. These were special order Kolbenschmidts made for the Formula-V guys. They placed a "special" order for 100 sets back in the early 90's. I bought one of three sets a guy was selling on here. $360.00 to my door... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy . Keep looking under the classifieds. OG NOS do pop up from time to time. If your patient...You will find them. Wink

"Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime."

"Only when the tide goes out do you discover who is swimming naked."
Ivan Fuller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v dub shoppe may stll have some K&S ones
Sunroof53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used AA barrels on mine with no problems as regards to tolerances.The only thing i had to do was deburr the barrel at the head end but no big headache.Even the pistons were within a gram of each other.
Kiwi1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally tracked a set of new 36hp KS pistons and barrels down.Thanks for the info Ivan Very Happy .I note that these pistons come with the rings pre installed. Would it be wise to pop the rings off and measure the ringgap in the bores or would have KS have this sorted already
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiwi1966 wrote:
Finally tracked a set of new 36hp KS pistons and barrels down.Thanks for the info Ivan Very Happy .I note that these pistons come with the rings pre installed. Would it be wise to pop the rings off and measure the ringgap in the bores or would have KS have this sorted already

Oh yes it would!! In fact if they are 50 year old rings.. I would invest in a new set of either Deves (excellent) or Grant (not as excellent) rings with a 3 Piece Oil Control Ring... old rings are trouble.. Smile

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
7/1968 Type 265 Double Cab
10/1958 Type 117
Kiwi1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that these barrels and pistons would have been produced in the last 2 to 5 years looking @ the style of box that they are in. Are Kolbensmit still occasionally doing limited runs of these I wonder Confused
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: