Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Resale Value Of Zetec, Subaru, Other Converted Vanagon?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you reinstall the original WBX then you can also sell the "complete conversion kit" to someone else.
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
Well, if you reinstall the original WBX then you can also sell the "complete conversion kit" to someone else.

Or sell or give away the old WBX, gain garage space plus help out someone who wants original and/or doesn't want to spend the high price of a conversion. Either way, any functional WBX engine and/or parts need to keep away from the trash dump, as parts and engines are getting scarce....
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
True. but why? That's a backwards conversion. Alot of people prefer the converted vanagons and there are those who do not want to take on such a job themselves. And having a shop do the work is crazy expensive in most cases. So buying a converted van makes since to them. I would rather do the work myself and know what I have but that's just me. Some people have more money than time. Not me... Exclamation
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the advantage to doing a conversion yourself is you know how it was done and potentially know how to fix something of it goes wrong.

Personally, I always knew I would do a conversion, but couldn't afford to purchase an already converted van. i bought a decent boxer van and drove it 'til the engine died, did my research and made the decision that was right for me. While my van has oodles of power now, I stil have a lot of cosmetic work to do. in it's current shape, I do not think that I could sell it for as much as I have invested, but with a little time and clever creativity to the appearance (paint and body mostly), I am sure I can ask for a pretty penny for my nearly rustless weekender.

I think it also depends on how inclined somebody is to do the conversion work themselves. I would not have attempted the subaru conversion on my own, but the bostig/zetec was a different story.

is this comment at all on topic? In fact, what is the topic?

'87 Wolfsburg Weekender, Bostig Zetec

The rehabilitation of my Van can be found here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5949024#5949024
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mamayogibear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So first of all I totally don'tt know what I am talking about here but one of the van's I have been looking at has a converted engine. This van is about a grand cheaper than the other vans and busses I'm interested in. It was converted 40K ago and is a something that the owner got done at a shop rather than DIY. They said it's a Subaru G something X or W but had to look it up to know for sure. I said I'd call back if I'm still interested since I want a VW, I'm assuming I want a VW engine too. So yeah, I guess the point I am trying to make is what are the risks of getting a van with a non VW engine that was done at a shop? Will it just be harder to find a shop that will work on it in the future? Will a subaru engine be more pricey to find new parts for than a volks? Thanks for taking the time to think about these questions and be well.
vannygun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the process of doing a conversion all by my self and will be in the $1700 range when finished. So it was a no brainer when My heads on the WBX needed a diaper. I couldn't rebuild the WBX for that amount. My van will have a totaled title and a few dents but from what I have seen on craigslist it will still be worth more than its stock form. Wish I had a westy but not in my price range. I have camped out plenty in my GL.
2006 jeep commander
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vanagon is a pretty neat platfoem, and only laked in the power deparment.
VW's fault on that poor engineering decision.

I think, and am pretty confident, that in the event you ever wanted to turn your ride & it had a professional looking / operating powertrain swap, you could do no wrong.

Just think about it this way.
You've taken out & removed 99.9% of the built in problelms in the Vanagon.
Anyone in the know who might be in the market for one would sure appreciate a new millenium powerplant.

I think this is a wise move,and a much better overall investment than throwing your money away updating an antique, underpowered engine design--even if you don't ever sell it.
jyl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm positive the conversion was the right thing to do, for me. I wanted more power and reliability, I could do the work myself (with remote control from Boston), and I'm going to maintain the van myself.

This thread was basically about if I should keep the WBX and the bits to re-install it. I'm convinced the answer is "no". Will make the wife happy!
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jyl wrote:
This thread was basically about if I should keep the WBX and the bits to re-install it. I'm convinced the answer is "no". Will make the wife happy!

that is precisely right.

'87 Wolfsburg Weekender, Bostig Zetec

The rehabilitation of my Van can be found here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5949024#5949024
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was looking for a van ( I ended up with 2)Iwould not even look at a wbx engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that everyone on this thread either has a conversion or has convinced themselves of the need to get one. What about all of those people who are running 10 Cent or Go Westy rebuilds? I realize the original question applies to an un-rebuilt engine, but it seems to me that there are lots of people paying big bucks for Go Westy restorations with waterboxers. There seems to be a market for good running waterboxers too.
tozovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaric.H wrote:
When I was looking for a van ( I ended up with 2)Iwould not even look at a wbx engine.

Funny...I bought my '87 GL about a year ago and sold it in september. REALLY wanted another but just couldn't bring myself to do it as I couldn't afford a Subie or Bostig-cult setup. Finally my wife made me sit down and write down what I liked so much about my '87 and what I didn't. Two lists. All the dislike column stuff was related to the WBX in one way or another. 4 weeks later I picked up my 1.6TD '83 Smile

A nice 10cent or GOWesty motor would have been great in my '87...but also more than I had then.

'83 1.6TD
DX 5 Speed
"Whistler"
www.sinisterbikes.com
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, right now there might very well be a some sort of demand for the stock powered Vanagon.

I think their days are numbered as parts become more & more No Longer Available.

Another downfall of the stock engine is it's grosley underpowered regardless who's building it.
Dependability sure isn't any better--you've still got the same antique engine warmed over.
So I guess the next question should be ; How long will the parts for the stock engine be available to be rebuilt?

I thnk a bunch of folks are looking a bit farther down the road with a newer, bigger HP power platform.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly have no arguements with the notion that the more popular conversions offer better powertrain qualities than the wasserboxer, but I haven't seen that converted vans sell for more than their wasserboxer equivalents. They actually seem to be harder to sell, because not every Vanagon customer is comfortable with the idea of a conversion. Just look at how quickly a stock Syncro Westy sells, and how many SVX powered ones for similar prices are just sitting.

The wasserboxer does have its drawbacks, but it can be serviced or repaired by VW mechanics all over the country. Conversions are great for people who are able to work on their own vans, but for non-mechanics the issue of servicability continues to be an issue.

Terry brings up an excellent point about the continued onslaught of NLA parts for wasserboxers, but it seems like enterprising folks have jumped in quickly with solutions for many of these discontinued parts.

I think the bottom line is that conversions make a lot of sense for creating the ideal Vanagon to fit your needs. Just don't do a conversion thinking it will greatly increase the van's value.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JWPATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am responding to the wrong thread, for I don't give a rat's a@& what my Vanagon is now worth, or what it ever will be worth. I bought this old camper shiny new, in '84 and shall never sell it. It now has antique plates in Nevada, and that means I don't have to go through the smog drill each year.

Still I remain open to the various engine options. At present I am on a Boston Bob rebuild (Sadly I note that Bob has passed on) which has been banging along for about five years now. It has always leaked oil from the case joint, but It was never enough to warrant a rebuild - just an irritation with an engine, which has now lasted as long as the original did. It is true that the original suffered from old (lousy) coolants and the failure was the usual water leaking. In fact, every one of the subsequent engine failures on that magnificent machine, were actually water jacket failures.

I now have a spare engine built up and waiting, with the thought being that these engines seem to fail, regardless of mileage, about every five years, either at the cylinder O-rings or the head water seals.

In summer though, there is another problem with the old engine design. At ambient temps over 110 F. the engine operation is touch-and-go. Although the oil and water temps are still within range the engine will sometimes shut down, and restart only after a 15 minute cool down. I believe the problem is related to engine compartment air temp. which is simply off the chart for the fuel injector controller chip. Somewhere in the range of 130-140 degrees air temp. it simply doesn't recognize - and therefore shuts down.

With this in mind, and in spite of having a really nice built up spare with new German pistons/cylinders and etc. I am viewing with great interest, the possibly conversion to a Ford zetec engine.

Any comments from members with experience with this conversion would be greatly appreciated.

James
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is sort of like little league baseball. the engine you fall in love with is the right one, until you learn more. period.
now, we are not going to let the coaches kid play first base all game long are we??? the project is OF LESS VALUE than the installer. it is a life lesson for that installer. Learning what your growing potential is is priceless. stop being accountants. they dont factor human development into anything, unless it's an intellectual property of some marketable value.
we are going to put the fat kid who eats paste on first base, and watch him grow. trophies be damned.

I bought my vanny specifically to convert it. that made it viable for me. when done correctly, the van is worth a lot more, although 7-14k for a 4 cyl conversion is a real test of your love. that would erode the vehicles equity upon sale [less liquid profit], although you could possibly get it back with a combination of use and sale.

It doesnt matter what it is--clean is king. it is beyond reproach. I just got my tired transplant smogged for the first time in it's new home and the dude was so impressed with its cleanliness that he was actually eager to "pretest it just to see..." and when it passed, he electronically sent it in to the dmv for me. "wow" was his comment. "don't see many this clean".
[he was just fluffing me up for the 58.00 bill.]
I like seeing the enthusiasm here. It's all good data.

Markets are cyclic, and now is a lousy time to sell anything. your timing couldnt be worse. that isnt to say that nobody has the dough, but the few that do are just reinforcing the buyers market.
econo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: zetec conversion Reply with quote

I always find the perspectives of people interesting when it comes to conversions. There is always one (puritan) side who will use the arguement of "collectability" and say to fix the original parts regardless of how poorly engineered they are.
This is certainly the case for the north american Vanagon...the wasserboxer has a proven track record of poor reliabilty on all accounts. I have had a few, and they have continually left me confused regarding the obvious oversights with the drivability of the truck in comparision to its brilliance in layout/functionality. I swore (many, many times..) that one day when I had a few more dollars I would own one, and solve the reliability problems at the source..the engine. Fast forward 15 years and here I am. I own a Syncro Doka with a Bostig conversion. Although I greatly underestimated the costs involved in restoring a syncro truck, (and the severe lack of qualified experts in its transmission rebuilding) the motor was hands down the best choice I made regarding the long term drivability of the vehicle. What good is a great vehicle design if it cannot be enjoyed with predictable regularity?...after all, a vehicles mandate is to supposedly be able to safely transport it occupants in a reliable/timely/comfortable manner. Biting my nails every time a trip was over 50 miles or had a few hills was no way to own a vehicle. Its good they often had beds because you frequently needed them while waiting for repairs in remote settings.
BTW, I also find it interesting that most people who are "puritans" and say to keep the vehicle original, either don't own/drive one on a regular basis, or don't have the money to convert one, or do not understand the costs in repairing vanagon engines.
It would be an interesting comparison to see how the resale of these vehicles has been lowered due to the known poor engine design flaws.
Completely restored, side by side with an original similar model, it is highly doubtfull it would sell for MORE than a quality converted van...zetec or Suby or TDI.(or any other equally no evasive modification) If you want collectable, take the old parts, put them in a sealed box and stick it in your attic while your out driving/enjoying your truck with a more reliable/updated drive train.
vanonimous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for opinion, what would be worth more a) great running tintop syncro with a 150k EJ251 or b) same with a 10k/AMC heads/fresh complete WBX rebuild?
I get the feeling a standard issue first time van owner would rather have WBX and pay more, no? Question

Lighting upgrades: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578291
dagriztx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
If I were a potential buyer I would want to know why anyone went to the expense of doing a conversion and then put the bus up for sale. My assumption would be that there were unsolvable problems with the conversion.

Loss of job ? Abducted by aliens ? Shocked

Spousal push, in my case Mad

I think it's the economy but then again I'm not complaining that mine hasn't sold. I already paid my entry in the TX VW Classic coming in April and I'm really enjoying my van in the mean time.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanonimous wrote:
Looking for opinion, what would be worth more a) great running tintop syncro with a 150k EJ251 or b) same with a 10k/AMC heads/fresh complete WBX rebuild?
I get the feeling a standard issue first time van owner would rather have WBX and pay more, no? Question

To me it depends on the condition of the other parts of the WBX. If they are also fresh then that leads me to value the WBX version more. But often a fresh rebuild is paired to tired old wiring, ignition parts, AFM, ECU, etc and it is still problematic. In that case I'd value the EJ25. No real good way to answer this....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: