Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bench seat ashtray 12V socket wire run
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: bench seat ashtray 12V socket wire run Reply with quote

I've decided to wire in a 12V socket in the rear seat ashtray as per this thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=396270&highlight=bench+seat+ashtray

Before I spend the weekend yanking out stuff to get it installed, what is the best way to run the wiring? Through the bench seat and into the side panel then up, or from above somehow. Any ideas will save me lots of time, so thanks for posting.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We laid the wire under the styrofoam for the laminate for a 12V on the passengers end of the sofa across to the house battery under the driver's seat. Sorry I don't know the configuration of your van to givve you any ideas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried overhead at the front edge of the upper bunk, then into the door pillar behind the sliding door, but found it blocked inside - no go.

I laid mine under the bench seat box and into the space in the side panel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go low through the bench storage. Once you get through the lower cabinets, you can go behind the fridge easily. If you run an inline fuse or aux fuse box, you can go straight the battery. Behind the drivers seat or inside that front cabinet is a handy place for a aux box for this reason.
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I've already run a lead to a 12V socket down low on the front of rear seat by the sliding door, I was hoping going low to the ashtray was the best way. I'll just tap off that and into the side panel. These posts have saved me a lot of second guessing.
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the socket installed yesterday using the bench seat ashtray. The recommendations made here were helpful in pointing me to down low for wiring from the existing 12V socket installed previously on the front of the seat near the sliding door. Here are some pics of the install and some additional fixtures I added at the same time. Maybe they can give someone else ideas on how to get started.

#1: The space between the inside and outside side panels was too narrow for the West Marine receptacle, so rather than mount it inside the ashtray I opted for the face mount. I replaced the receptacle screws with bolts going through to the back of the ashtray to keep it from opening.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

#2: Here's the socket with a new GoWesty OSRAM removable reading light. I wish the flexible neck on this light was a little longer than 7".

#3: The hard-mounted GoWesty OSRAM light with longer neck. Available to driver's side passenger for reading. Must remember to move it out of the way while cooking. EDIT: this location has proven to be excellent.

#4: Fluorescent fixture mounted over bench seat. I'm wondering if this was the best place or if over the stove or above sliding door would have been better? EDIT: the family and I like this location alot after all.

Last edited by singler3360 on Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think where you put the flurescent is just the right place. Over stove = no, over sliding door = naw. Where you did it YEH Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: