Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can't get into 1st, 2nd or Reverse
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Can't get into 1st, 2nd or Reverse Reply with quote

So I've been reading quite a few posts, but I'm a little foggy on my issue. I have tried adjusting the plate at the base of the shifter but no luck.

Is the hockey stick in the wrong spot or is it a coupler issue? Crying or Very sad
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you mess with anything? try and change your shift rod coupler? did it just all of a sudden not wanna shift? we need more info.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69SquareGuy wrote:
did you mess with anything? try and change your shift rod coupler? did it just all of a sudden not wanna shift? we need more info.

Yeah, sorry bout that.

I've been restoring my fastback for the past 3 years. I installed the transmission probably 1.5 years ago after I had it rebuilt.

Finally got the car started for the first time in 4 years a week ago and I ran it around the neighborhood. Now it's only going into 3rd and 4th gear.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrong hockey stick. sounds like you have a bug one, you need one specific to the type 3. not sure if you can mod the one you have, or have to pull it all out and replace. I've done the pull and replace on a friends car. with buddies, couple hours
19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
wrong hockey stick. sounds like you have a bug one, you need one specific to the type 3. not sure if you can mod the one you have, or have to pull it all out and replace. I've done the pull and replace on a friends car. with buddies, couple hours

No I'm afraid it can't be. Unless the PO put in a T1 hokey stick, but I highly doubt it. I used the same one that I took out originally. And I don't have any others lying around.

In the Bentley it said to "make sure that the selector shafts are in neutral position when attaching the nose-cose." I didn't really know how to do this when I put it together (should have asked you guys) - could this be the probelem. Is the hockey-stick in the wrong position?
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have the shifter uninstalled? Assming everything worked properly when you took it apart and you reassembled it with the same parts you should start with the most simple thing and work your way forward. If you pulled the shifter out of the car and just put it back in try flipping the reverse lock out plate, it would have these same effects. Also a bad adjustment of the lock out plate could do something like this. IF that isn't it look into it deeper, but work from simple fixes forward....

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what above said. The lock out plate should have 2 tabs on it, with the longer of the 2 on the passenger side, and both of them up.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I did check the lock out plate, no go.

So I pulled the engine and move the tranny off the nose cone last night. Got a good look at the hockey stick but I'm still a bit confused on where to put it.

Read through the forum and sort of picked a spot I thought was right but now the shifter rod is is so far over that I can't get the shifter installed.

Is the coupler adjustable at all so I could move the shifter rod into more of the middle?
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have the shift rod bushing? i know when i replaced mine a few weeks ago, it took a little time adjusting the shifter itself. i had to just take the car out on the street, adjust the shifter, and keep trying to drive it. if it didn't shift right, i would try again. the sweet spot was up and to the left it seemed.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69SquareGuy wrote:
do you have the shift rod bushing? i know when i replaced mine a few weeks ago, it took a little time adjusting the shifter itself. i had to just take the car out on the street, adjust the shifter, and keep trying to drive it. if it didn't shift right, i would try again. the sweet spot was up and to the left it seemed.

What does the bushing look like? I couldn't find it on ISPWest's website.

Thanks!
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-111-701-259-A

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your alter ego:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=415631
19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Your alter ego:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=415631

Weird eh, you guys seen "Fringe"? Maybe he's from the other world. I wonder if he looks just like me? Shocked

Thanks for the link on the bushing Russ, I'll be ordering that one up!

Just to double check here, which spot does the selector fork go?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slots in the 3 shift rails are lined up, when the transmission is in neutral.
The hockey stick then goes in that slot.
When you move the shifter from side to side, the hockey stick rotates, and selects which of the 3 slots it goes in. Then why you move the shift lever fore and aft, it slides the rail that is selected, in and out.
There are supposed to be detent balls, that will only let you move one rail at a time.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
The slots in the 3 shift rails are lined up, when the transmission is in neutral.
The hockey stick then goes in that slot.
When you move the shifter from side to side, the hockey stick rotates, and selects which of the 3 slots it goes in. Then why you move the shift lever fore and aft, it slides the rail that is selected, in and out.
There are supposed to be detent balls, that will only let you move one rail at a time.

So where exactly would it go? Between the top and middle shift rails? From the post that I got this pic from, the bottom is the reverse right? And then 3rd-4th in the middle and 1st-2nd on top?

On a different topic. I'm writing this in the maternity ward, my wife delivered our second child today, little girl named Grayce! Dancing
19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Bump*

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here but I want to make sure I get the "hockey stick" in the correct spot.

Does it go between the top and middle shift rails, at approx. 9:00 o'clock? Is that neutral? I don't want to have to pull the tranny apart again. Crying or Very sad

Thanks for any help
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: