Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Westfalia Weekender
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
Are those the NOS calipers from Bus Depot?

Yes. On sale.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

NOS? I just put a set of their remans on a couple months ago, and they are ATE, but dont look like my originals. I decided to eat the cores as I want to rebuild my OG ATE ones and have them on the shelf.

Mine were $59.95/ea but with a $60 core. They seem to be working fine so not downplaying the quality, just dont look like the originals.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
NOS? I just put a set of their remans on a couple months ago, and they are ATE, but dont look like my originals. I decided to eat the cores as I want to rebuild my OG ATE ones and have them on the shelf.

Mine were $59.95/ea but with a $60 core. They seem to be working fine so not downplaying the quality, just dont look like the originals.

I am going to do exactly the same except I didn't mind the extra $80 more for the NOS.

No way in hell Im giving my 53k mile bus OG factory front calipers up. Evil or Very Mad

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

I just put a set of them on my bus. They work great, but were yours identical? My left and right were different calipers. New and work fine, but different.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
I just put a set of them on my bus. They work great, but were yours identical? My left and right were different calipers. New and work fine, but different.

No mine are mirror. These NOS ones have the single bleeder so you need to have that oriented at the top of each side, making them side specific. I'm keeping my og ones since they are most likely the og ones to the bus AND they have the double - top-bottom - bleeders.

One of my stems got bent and broke in transit Evil or Very Mad seen in the right of this pic.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

Ok interesting. One of mine was a 2 bleeder caliper, one wasn't. Both supposedly NOS.

Just curious mostly - like I said they work fine.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

Finished up the dash today. As well as several other fiddly things like oiling the slider and replacing the strike plate.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

I had time today to finish installing the new rotors, calipers and brake pads on the 74. It still had the double bleeder ATE bad boys on it. Ill be keeping and rebuilding those.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

With the tire mounted back on and the front calipers bleed, all I need to do was track down a popping and lack of power issue.

I traced it to a broken plastic pipe in the vacuum line on the brake boost. Fixed that and she started to run well again. Fixed some twisted wires and set out around the neighborhood for a test drive.

It went well enough for me to want to venture to the gas station for my first fill ever, the next morning which brings me to today.

Got some bulbs into the back taillights and tested it all first thing this morning. Set off to the gas station only to be disappointed upon fillup that gas was pouring out onto the ground Evil or Very Mad

Found a perished filler neck I had yet to replace. Rolling Eyes I had the stuff to fix it so finally had to do. Off came the paint can lid, wrestled the big black snake in the hole, got it all clamped back up, cleaned the parts all up and painted the cap.

Back to the gas station - take two.

Filled her up and took her around town then up to the lake. Man, this auto drives nice. What a fun bus to drive. Very different from the manual 77. The 1800 is nice and gutless on the road up to the lake. So we puted up in typical slow VW fashion.

On the straights, this bus is very peppy and fun to drive. It's like a big go-kart. The drive did reveal some minor twists and tweaks to adjust for sure. As she sits now, I wouldn't be afraid to take it out for the day.

It's all "hopefully" downhill from here on out. Cool Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

Nice work. Looking sharp.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

Thanks, brother.

Quick shot of yesterday's doings. Idle sat high at the end of the day - after I drove it for a half-hour. I think the adjustment rod on the rt carb did it. This is one of the things to look at today.

Also, lots of media came out to rear its ugly head. The heat vent on the pass-through blew a bunch out.

Link

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible

Last edited by notchboy on Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

Filthy fine dust everywhere. Mad I knew it would rear its ugly head up. But dayum!

I think I must have blown the heater tubes out maybe 3 different times before I ever started to put the interior in. And those times were with a leaf blower. The last time I did it for shits and giggles was right before I put the dash top on. That was with just the shop vac though.

First drive on the street, getting up to 45-55 mph, then wooosh, pressures change, wind blows and the Media God sprinkles his mischief. Evil or Very Mad

I had a Windex bottle down there that leaked just enough to make an even bigger mess at the time.

Im sure I have more "cleaning" to do in the future. Rolling Eyes

Today I pulled the cooler cabinet, cleaned and blew out all the media and put the driver door card on.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

Wow, that's a lot of dust! You must have some good tight seals and killer heat!
Cool
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:
Wow, that's a lot of dust! You must have some good tight seals and killer heat!
Cool

The control flaps aren't even on yet in the back. I think this stuff is in the cardboard tube under the front. At least thats the first piece Im taking out to inspect.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

Looking Great!!

When my bus was media blasted they didn't tape the heat tubes so dust and media blast material was everywhere. I blew out the tubes and it kept coming, finally pulled the rear off of the main tube off, and ran a vacuum cleaner up the tube. Still get a little grit so it is probably time to do it again.

Enjoy - looks like it is really coming along.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Looking Great!!

When my bus was media blasted they didn't tape the heat tubes so dust and media blast material was everywhere. I blew out the tubes and it kept coming, finally pulled the rear off of the main tube off, and ran a vacuum cleaner up the tube. Still get a little grit so it is probably time to do it again.

Enjoy - looks like it is really coming along.

Thanks, brother. This one was covered somewhat. That stuff just gets everywhere. I think its too heavy to blow out, that's why I'm going to have to go in, probe around and probably do a vac chase as you did. Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

Damn dude...almost looks like you had a baby powder mishap of some sort! Surprised

I'm sure you'll get it cleaned up very quickly!

Keep at it. That bus kick so much ass! Cool
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

Had the same issue with my split window a couple weeks ago. Went on its first road trip with the heat blasting and showered us in the front with blast media the entire ride to Seattle. Laughing
'65 Honda Dream
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

When I get back from this next work stint, I'll be pulling some ducting down for sure. Nothing like clean, new interior getting dusted with this crap Evil or Very Mad

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
When I get back from this next work stint, I'll be pulling some ducting down for sure. Nothing like clean, new interior getting dusted with this crap Evil or Very Mad

”High class problems” as they say. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 32

Jump to: