Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Westfalia Weekender
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

Yeah I know right. Crap. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

Looking great!
’65 Deluxe Build
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

I went ahead and got the repop badges and had them etched to duplicate. Hardest part was finding a true engraver in town.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Globusoverland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

Looking so great Jason! Applause
I was wondering if you have an extra tag for the tow hitch?
Please let me know if so. Very Happy
The other thing I am looking for is the timing scale you have in your pics. So the white one, not the black plastic ones. I need one in good condition. ('cause in reasonable condition I already have Wink )

Cheers
Michel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westnoob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

That bus looks so good! Great work, hope you get out to enjoy it soon...
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

Globusoverland wrote:
Looking so great Jason! Applause
I was wondering if you have an extra tag for the tow hitch?
Please let me know if so. Very Happy
The other thing I am looking for is the timing scale you have in your pics. So the white one, not the black plastic ones. I need one in good condition. ('cause in reasonable condition I already have Wink )

Cheers
Michel

Trailer hitch tags - more than one flavor - this guy has the goods.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&rmvSB=tr...p;_sacat=0

And good luck on that scale. I found it from a dude at a swap meet - thats the real deal OEM. Sorry I aint gots no more. Crying or Very sad

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

Ive been putting off the dash because I needed to remove the steering column and clean it. THe bearing inside had sand in it from the blasting before paint. So it was a crunchy sounding turn since then. Well I got it out, popped the bearing out and cleaned - lubed to silky smoothness, put it all back in. Its been the better part of 3 years since the dash was out. Rolling Eyes

I hope to now get the electrical all sorted so I can add power again and check the systems - they were all in great working order prior to dismantle.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

I hate that mess of wires in the dash.

I had my cluster out for some repairs. The 4 metal tabs on the cluster are no fun. LT side went in fine. The ones on the RT near the heater controls are no fun.

From your above picture, it looks like it would be sooo much easier with the metal dash removed. I got mine installed after removing the radio.

Bus is looking good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

obieoberstar wrote:
I hate that mess of wires in the dash.

I had my cluster out for some repairs. The 4 metal tabs on the cluster are no fun. LT side went in fine. The ones on the RT near the heater controls are no fun.

From your above picture, it looks like it would be sooo much easier with the metal dash removed. I got mine installed after removing the radio.

Bus is looking good.

Im going to dig putting it all up nice. Im going to wrap most bundles with cloth/gaffer type tape like the factory did - just way more anal. Clean all the pathes up. Make it look real nice. Ive been looking forward to it Wink Still has the dying cricket. Shocked Laughing

Because yes - having the windshield out, dash top off and being 6'5" all comes together in this pay off.

I may get ambulance fans but Ill have the eberspacher switch to add at a minimum. Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

Knick knack patty whak. Just some odds and ends.

The rear panel for the hatch is drilled for a later Westy. So I had to add some holes in the hatch to fit the wood panel. Drilled them out and popped in the OG black plastic tabs - factory fresh Cool

I also put a rear plate on quick. You don't see these square ones often - just put it on for the moment for kicks. Ill make some fake german ones to say something cute late.

v

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

Result. Tail Lights.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

My brother! That is looking fantastic. Can't wait to see it again. The readers and Eberspacher snorkel was a nice touch. Xatie still has your stash of liquid goodies in Oly. Soon we can hang and throw one back, since most of the remodel stuff is done. Cheers buddy.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

Soooooooper nice! But what's that white plastic duct thingy sitting in the hatch area in your last batch of pictures?

- Doug Smile
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

DougB wrote:
Soooooooper nice! But what's that white plastic duct thingy sitting in the hatch area in your last batch of pictures?

- Doug Smile

Doug go back one page - I had to take it out of the way to put in the tail light.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

Not much love to the 74 recently as my time and $ have been directed to the 77's monster motor rebuild, install, interior....yada-yada that Im still in on at the moment.

But the tent - tHe "TENT" came up to buy from mi Amigo John. So I had to get it. The 74 being a hard top is limited on space. Its a full bed but still has a rear drive cabinet - making dual sleeping kinda tight. So I always wanted to "extend" the rear and what better way than with an official accessory? Right? And Westfalia to boot!

To me this accessory and maybe a turret top were the best cubic foot additions I could ad to the bus - as possible in 1974. Im very happy with this.

When I got it - there were no instructions - yet being in its og box. It is however in good shape with the aforementioned rodent issue. It came with 73 only material that I will switch for the blue plaid. Ill sown the cushions later. For now this is a dry fit to see how those brackets fit in the rear rubber lip. Not a win solution to me but apparently how it was done. With that and a newly painted bus, I covered the brackets with shinky tube to protect the bus more than anything. It worked well.

I sanded down the corroded support brackets as rodent urine had ate through the zinc coating. Ill spray with some protective paint later. I heated the tent to clear out some of the storage wrinkles - but a hot sunny day will be the best for it.

Overall I'm in love. It looks good and should add value to the overall camping experience.

Click my gallery to see more pics.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible

Last edited by notchboy on Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

Here are the cleaned then sanded support brackets. Also note the big stupid proof zippers Cool Even a horse could pull these zippers then do a shot of whiskey. Cool

Notice how the tent is off set for the cabinet on the left side - this pushes the whole tent to one side - either pushing away from a spare tire or on later versions the cabinet.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

Maybe its me?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

Jas, is that a tear or a vent?
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

I love that you are able to find all this crazy obscure Westfaila stuff and have it all for a bus that will be museum quality when finished. You're like the Indiana Jones of Westfaila's.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

Thanks Mitch. Love to have what was possible then Cool Making my own time machine.

Brian - thats a vent on the side.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 32

Jump to: