Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter solenoid terminal snapped off. What now?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Starter solenoid terminal snapped off. What now? Reply with quote

Was under the bus to hook up a new wire for headlights to my starter solenoid terminal. It moved and froze for a second, so without thinking about it I gave it some force and the entire #30 post off the plastic top.

Can someone advise as to what my options are? I assume replacing the part is a must, but is there anyway I can fix this for a quick emergency?

Thanks,

K

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Starter solenoid terminal snapped off. What now? Reply with quote

pull the starter and replace the solenoid. Be sure you get the correct one. Or replace the starter. Your solenoid has multiple blade connectors on it.

Also pull the battery connection NOW if you haven't already before that hits something and burns the bus up.

Last edited by SGKent on Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Starter solenoid terminal snapped off. What now? Reply with quote

Pulled. I know this is a silly question, but how do I know it's the correct one. I happen to be in Costa Rica right now, so I'm not sure what availability is going to be like.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Starter solenoid terminal snapped off. What now? Reply with quote

surfbus23 wrote:
Pulled. I know this is a silly question, but how do I know it's the correct one. I happen to be in Costa Rica right now, so I'm not sure what availability is going to be like.
fairly common solenoid.
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Starter solenoid terminal snapped off. What now? Reply with quote

Ok. I like to hear that. Figured it's gotta be pretty common. Was my mistake for not protecting the connections with dialectic grease.

While we're at it. What's the cause of this carbon build up on the starter?

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Starter solenoid terminal snapped off. What now? Reply with quote

The carbon.....is likely clutch dust and oil.

As for dielectric grease.....yes.....but ONLY sla5her it on the outside of the connections after they are connected and tightened down.

Too many people fail to realize that dielectric grease.....is a DIELECTRIC....meaning insulator....non-conductor. Its primary ingredient is silica and/or silicone. They do not conduct electricity. They make for high resistance connections.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Starter solenoid terminal snapped off. What now? Reply with quote

Thanks Ray. Always appreciate your guidance. Headed out to have it repaired now. Will report back.
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter solenoid terminal snapped off. What now? Reply with quote

Buenas noticias! Miraculously, the guy had an exactly one German replacement that he'd been sitting on for 10 years. He swapped it out and I'm good to go.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter solenoid terminal snapped off. What now? Reply with quote

awesome
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: