Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driving a TR-6
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Driving a TR-6 Reply with quote

I'm going to drive a TR-6 from Connecticut to Northern NJ for a friend this weekend. He just bought it but he hasn't driven stick in a long time. I've never driven a TR-6. Anybody have any tips on driving one of these? The car looks something like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair amount of power and torque in a rear-wheel-drive package and considerably less weight in the rear end -- it's easy to break the tires loose if you aren't paying attention to it... the six cylinder sounded like a tractor engine to me, but it's a workhorse engine...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing to keep in mind as you blast along the left interstate lane is that when the SUV driver looks over to pull into your lane chances are good they won't look down. I learned that driving an MG.

Where in CT are you going from? Merrit Parkway/Hutchinson is a fun drive, Rt 8 if you are by Waterbury is ok too-Google mao a route that keeps you off the interstate- it will take way longer but be way more enjoyable.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Driving a TR-6 Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
I'm going to drive a TR-6 from Connecticut to Northern NJ for a friend this weekend. He just bought it but he hasn't driven stick in a long time. I've never driven a TR-6. Anybody have any tips on driving one of these? The car looks something like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just watch the temp gauge and remember to use the heater full blast if it starts running hot. Most forget they have a small radiator (heater core) under the dash.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
Thing to keep in mind as you blast along the left interstate lane is that when the SUV driver looks over to pull into your lane chances are good they won't look down. I learned that driving an MG.

Where in CT are you going from? Merrit Parkway/Hutchinson is a fun drive, Rt 8 if you are by Waterbury is ok too-Google mao a route that keeps you off the interstate- it will take way longer but be way more enjoyable.

I will definitely avoid the interstates and I plan to make my way over to the Bear Mountain Bridge and continue southwest from there. I actually don't know where the car is but my friends are driving me there and will follow me back.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Driving a TR-6 Reply with quote

TimGud wrote:
Just watch the temp gauge and remember to use the heater full blast if it starts running hot. Most forget they have a small radiator (heater core) under the dash.

It's been a real long time but I remember doing that on a hot summer day while stuck in traffic on the Brooklyn Queens Expressway in my new 1976 Alfa Romeo Alfetta sedan that had no air conditioning. 90 degrees outside and probably 100 degrees inside, windows open, fan blasting, heater on high, shoe soles melting, Ziebart rustproofing fumes all over me, all to try and keep the engine temps down. The only good thing about that whole experience was that I was in an Alfa. You gotta really love cars to do that.

Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to do that with my MG Midget back in 1964.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of these things are really soft in the rear, so you need to be aware of that when you get on the whoop-de-doos!

Plenty of power in that package! So unless something fails (which is more prevelant then a 50 year old beetle) you should really enjoy the drive!
FranksMarket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked careful while gassing it up.. while working in a gas station in the 80s a guy came in top down, dressed in a shirt and tie, i put nozzle in filler, started pump, walked to pump another car, ring wth the cap came off wth nozzle proceeded to fill interior with gas. gas was shooting straight towards windshield over the drivers rht shoulder!!! never forget that!! station owner said he would pay drycleaning bill...
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring a cell phone and money...for you travel with Lucas,the prince of darkness...
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips and advice. Now if only my friend was buying a Ferrari! Very Happy

TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
Lucas,the prince of darkness...

Now there's someone who's owned a British car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be safe. I hate driving anywhere long distance this weekend in the NY-NJ-CT-PA area!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are really cool, and a lot of fun to drive.

However, Triumphs and MGs of that vintage suffer from some poorly designed/poorly manufactured/unreliable parts: Lucas electrics and Girling hydraulic cylinders.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Lucas electric fuel pump quits while driving, beat on the rear floor boards. That usually starts it again.
Had to drive one about 150 miles that way beating it with a hammer.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this comes courtesy of tram...

Q. Know why the British like their beer warm?

A. Cause Luca's is in the refrigerator business too.

Had a triumph trophy motorcyle.. a little 250 single it used a zener diode to to regulate its alternator...the diode would glow in the night,you could damn near light a smoke off it...
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this may be a really stupid question, and I'm going to check on the interwebby thingy, but do TR6's use "English" nuts and bolts or metric? I'm going to take both sets of tools if I can't find the answer.

79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, never mind, looks like "English" sizes. I mean, what else could it have been? But I never like to assume.

It's also harder to type after drinking a glass of wine... Very Happy

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely NOT metric. And, like my brother found out, if it has wire wheels then the one side has left-hand threads. There was an arrow and "UNDO". He called me and asked what "un-dough" ment, and after I stopped laughing I told him it was "un-doo", or to remove. That really happened, and he was summa cum laude...
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Now this may be a really stupid question, and I'm going to check on the interwebby thingy, but do TR6's use "English" nuts and bolts or metric? I'm going to take both sets of tools if I can't find the answer.

http://www.britishfasteners.com/images/catalog.pdf

Id own a "King Dick"...just so I could sport it on special occasions...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: