Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Judson which distributor?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kever56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Judson which distributor? Reply with quote

Hello,

What's the best distributor for my 36 HP engine with Judson compressor?

greetings Geert
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Judson which distributor? Reply with quote

kever56 wrote:
Hello,

What's the best distributor for my 36 HP engine with Judson compressor?

greetings Geert

They were designed to run with a stock diz, right? I use a 019 in mine.
Steve22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to run mine with the stock dizzy on my 40hp, also ran it with a Bosch 010. Both worked very nicely.
'73 Sunroof Transporter
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen them with 010 and stock VJU4BR8.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock out of the box Judson set-up...stock distributor...runs very well.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ProjectX
Accessory Nut

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could always run a Blue Screamer Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

195? Project "X"
1954 Oval Convertible
kever56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

56OvalRHD wrote:

that's something i don't know Shocked
Pharquarx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, no performance or incompatibility issues with the Blue Screamer. Guess it comes down to sex appeal.

Stock 67 Vert Under Restoration
1958 Lambretta TV175 Series 1
1957 Vespa Messerschmitt 150 GS
1951 Douglas Vespa Rod Type (First month of production!!!)
1970 Triumph T120R (Bonneville)
1950 Vincent Comet
1952 Moto Rumi Sport 125
1973 Ducati 750 Sport
kever56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pharquarx wrote:
So, no performance or incompatibility issues with the Blue Screamer. Guess it comes down to sex appeal.

Hey,

Indeed I also think it's the main thing is the look.
Can I do something wrong to the engine or judson with installing this distributor?

@John Moxon: We've seen eachother in Hessisch Oldendorf last year at Alejandro's place. I promised you pictures of my car for your site. I'll try to do this next week. Very Happy

Greetings Geert
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kever56 wrote:
I promised you pictures of my car for your site. I'll try to do this next week. Very Happy

Greetings Geert

Thanks Geert. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
brisbane6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:25 am    Post subject: 40hp Judson & fat boy distributor Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

Hi team...would appreciate any guidance...connect or disconnect vacuum?? ...I installed Judson in my 1959 bus...I am running zv/pau4r5...the vacuum advance line is connected. 5deg static timing translates to 8deg idle. The idle is sitting about 1000rpm currently. The thing is: Even on no load it rockets to full advance really quickly when the throttle is opened. Also (when warmed up but not so much at all when cold engine) it is inclined to pink/detonate at low rpm picking up load (not at high rpm). I am wondering should I disconnect the vacuum altogether...and aim for some intermediate advance setting. Or swap to centrifugal advance distributor. Or.....?
Would really appreciate any actual experience out there. Oh yes, carb is 28pict. Engine is stock 40hp 1960 engine. Plugs b6hs 25 thou. Points ignition 16 thou / 48 dwell.
Thanks in advance...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Judson which distributor? Reply with quote

The zv/pau4r5. is vacuum only so if you disconnect the hose you'll get no advance.

I've seen almost every distributor used including 383,VJ4BR8, VJU4BR8, VJ4BR25, 010, zv/pau4r5. and 009.

But i've been told by customers that they find the VJ4BR25/010 to work the best.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
brisbane6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Judson which distributor? Reply with quote

Ok...just thinking...010 is centrifugal-only, right? Just to test something with you...: This is my daily driver in traffic etc...ie mostly NOT constant rpm cruising (nor screaming) etc, but rather has to respond through the rev range...knowing that, what do you think, still yes to 010? Also does a few trips a year of say-1000km highway driving each time.

[Definitely does seem that vacuum signalling is not very effective or meaningful when coupled with supercharger...that’s why I thought maybe disconnect it altogether and just choose some mild advance that gives tolerable response whilst avoiding preignition...Silly idea maybe?]
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Judson which distributor? Reply with quote

I've had mechanical only distributors for 40 years with over 400,000 miles of daily driving.

I live on Long Island so i've spent many miles in traffic. I've also driven across the USA twice in the car and did many out of state car shows.

BTW, Porsche has mechanical only distributors across all the 356 and 912 from 1948 to 1969. They didn't add vacuum advance till the 70s when they needed to lower emissions.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Judson which distributor? Reply with quote

This has me curious;

Since you shouldn't get a vacuum signal using a blower, wouldn't the vacuum portion of the distributor essentially not do anything?

Glenn, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most VW 'vacuum advance distributors' have both the vacuum pot and rod, and mechanical flyweights acting on the timing advancer plate? If I remember right, the vacuum tugs on the rod, rotating the plate mostly at lower rpms, when the vacuu signal is stronger, and the flyweights add advance as centrigugal force increases with rpm, adding advance, over riding any input from the vacuum pot and rod.

I would think you'd want a mechanical advance only type distributor, but limit the advance to 20deg 'all in', as supercharged engines typically like less advanced timing than a NA inducted engine. The turbocharged race vw engines I've tuned on liked the advance locked out completely (but that might be a diffent animal than a slightly pressurized, 3psi maybe, 36hp engine) Maybe using a vacuum advance distributor does the same thing, limit advance to only what the mechanical advance contributes?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Judson which distributor? Reply with quote

TomSimon wrote:
Glenn, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most VW 'vacuum advance distributors' have both the vacuum pot and rod, and mechanical flyweights acting on the timing advancer plate?

From 61 to about 71 VWs had vacuum only. There are exceptions so there is no "set" rule.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProjectX wrote:

Blue Screamer or black 019, they are the same thing.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
tasb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 40hp Judson & fat boy distributor Reply with quote

brisbane6 wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

Hi team...would appreciate any guidance...connect or disconnect vacuum?? ...I installed Judson in my 1959 bus...I am running zv/pau4r5...the vacuum advance line is connected. 5deg static timing translates to 8deg idle. The idle is sitting about 1000rpm currently. The thing is: Even on no load it rockets to full advance really quickly when the throttle is opened. Also (when warmed up but not so much at all when cold engine) it is inclined to pink/detonate at low rpm picking up load (not at high rpm). I am wondering should I disconnect the vacuum altogether...and aim for some intermediate advance setting. Or swap to centrifugal advance distributor. Or.....?
Would really appreciate any actual experience out there. Oh yes, carb is 28pict. Engine is stock 40hp 1960 engine. Plugs b6hs 25 thou. Points ignition 16 thou / 48 dwell.
Thanks in advance...

If you are going to run a stock VJU 4 BR 8 with the vacuum line disconnected you might as well run an 019 as the mechanical advance weights are identical.

tasb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Judson which distributor? Reply with quote

brisbane6 wrote:
Ok...just thinking...010 is centrifugal-only, right? Just to test something with you...: This is my daily driver in traffic etc...ie mostly NOT constant rpm cruising (nor screaming) etc, but rather has to respond through the rev range...knowing that, what do you think, still yes to 010? Also does a few trips a year of say-1000km highway driving each time.

[Definitely does seem that vacuum signalling is not very effective or meaningful when coupled with supercharger...that’s why I thought maybe disconnect it altogether and just choose some mild advance that gives tolerable response whilst avoiding preignition...Silly idea maybe?]

Sounds like you're riding a race horse in a parade, not criticizing. IF the vacuum advance is still functional even with a supercharger you might be happier with the smoother running VJU 4 BR 8. An 010 might be overkill being known as a race distributor. The 019/VJU 4BR 8 are known as more of a street distributor, you have the choice of a Black or blue suit too Wink

Aw heck, I for one would not be against painting an 010 in blue, as long as everything else on the distributor is kosher.

tasb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Judson which distributor? Reply with quote

TomSimon wrote:
This has me curious;

Since you shouldn't get a vacuum signal using a blower, wouldn't the vacuum portion of the distributor essentially not do anything?

Glenn, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most VW 'vacuum advance distributors' have both the vacuum pot and rod, and mechanical flyweights acting on the timing advancer plate? If I remember right, the vacuum tugs on the rod, rotating the plate mostly at lower rpms, when the vacuu signal is stronger, and the flyweights add advance as centrigugal force increases with rpm, adding advance, over riding any input from the vacuum pot and rod.

I would think you'd want a mechanical advance only type distributor, but limit the advance to 20deg 'all in', as supercharged engines typically like less advanced timing than a NA inducted engine. The turbocharged race vw engines I've tuned on liked the advance locked out completely (but that might be a diffent animal than a slightly pressurized, 3psi maybe, 36hp engine) Maybe using a vacuum advance distributor does the same thing, limit advance to only what the mechanical advance contributes?

The mechanical weights have no effect upon the vacuum advance plate. They have separate functions.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: