Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

type 4 engine swap
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John 2538456244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: type 4 engine swap Reply with quote

Need to talk to someone that has put a type 4 engine in a bug I just want to know if it is a worth while endeavor, I just acquired a vary nice complete 1800 an if its just a mater of buying the kit I want to do it, but if I have to cut my car up to get it in there then I think I will pass an sell it an just put the cash in the stock motor. I am a life time back yard mechanic an do have the skills but I dont wont to butcher my bug. John 253 8456244
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it. You really should check out the DTM kit from Jake Raby.
www.aircooledtechnology.com
He has everything you need to make it a bolt in operation, no cutting necessary. It ain't cheap, though, 'specially the exhaust.

I think there is also a way to mix and match type IV and type I cooling pieces, but I forgot who sells the manual that explains all that.
A type IV in a bug is a lot of fun. Torquey, powerful and tough.

You'll notice that the word 'cheap' wasn't on that list, 'cause it ain't.

Did I mention that it isn't cheap?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do a search in the Performance forum -- a TON of information there on doing this very thing...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWNOAH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate Type 4 Motors, They Suck, These were my thoughts 'till I built one with alot of Helpful Samba input. Good Torque, Power and Reliable.

'57 Panel 71x96, Norris cam, Dual 40Idf's, Type 1 36Hp shroud, FAT exhaust, Remote cooler/fan

Cost wise is alot more than Type 1, But alot cheaper than a Subie conversion. I am into the 2nd year of my changeover from a 2275 Type 1 and my type 4 power is more linear, runs cooler and, Alot less breakage and maintenance
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWNOAH, funny brings back memories. In the early 90's I would go to VW shows put up my table and try to sell my manual.

Guys would attack me, T-4 is only good for a boat anchor, they drop valve seats, what a piece of crap!!!

Actually the guys that had T-4 Buses and 914's backed me up. The Bus guys would say the T-1 engine could never last to the 100k the T-4 took their much heavier 73 and later buses. THe 914 guys said their cars were going to 160k without a rebuild and still running strong.

THe VW Magazines , did not help seeing the guys placing the big ads sold T-1 parts. Only until more and more guys did the conversion did the real story get out and the News Groups started. Also the the Guys in Europe showed us what they have been doing for years with T-4 conversions.
I must say if it was not for the Internet, youtube, etc. We may still may think the T-4 is a boat anchor.
I have a 70 mile round trip to work each day and have a commuter car. I can't wait to get home and find a errand to run or just take the bug on a 20 mile blast. So much fun to drive at highway speeds, people just freak at the fact my bug has more performance then most newer cars I pass and with old body style, here in NY it is rare sight to see.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The conversion is exactly what you make it.. it can be easy and straight forward or you can complicate it...

After I converted my first VW I've never owned a Type 1 powered VW for more than a week without swapping it to "MassIVe" Big Block power. I bought a double cab last year, drove it 43 miles from my house to the shop one time and ripped the damn engine out... It was like going from DSL back to dial up internet service... Having to downshift is something I haven't done in years!

Like most everything else in life that has a higher initial expenditure, the cost of admission to this game is worth more dollars than you will spend.. I tell clients all the time that they should make the decision based on what their intentions are for the car... if you want to drive the damn thing and not worry about it, then go TIV, but if you are building a show car or a garage queen then just keep it a Type 1. From time to time people that are building show cars ask us about TIV power because they want something different, I highly discourage their conversions because thats just a plain waste of a good engine that someone could actually be using.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shovelheadsixsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my type 4 swap .Would do it again without question
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a type IV in my auto squareback and it is acutually my favorite VW out off the three I have. Its a 2L with a Scat C25 cam and dual single throat Brazilion webers. A side from these items I folowed Jakes recommendations for the rest of the motor (including Brad Penn oil). One of the best features is the torque. The only motor I have that will compare to it is my Diesel truck. I live in the valley in CA, so anytime I take a road trip there is some mountain grade i have to go over.

When I take a day trip to the coast, I am loaded to the gills with four people and both the back area and the trunk totally full. One time I pushed it hard just to see what it would do. It was about 95 deg and very few cars were keeping up with me up the grade. However, my oil temp never got above 190. This is with just the stock cooling setup. I know from experience that either of my 2L type 1s would have been cooking at this pace and I have the big (fan) oil coolers on them.

Plus even at this pace I got 24 MPG on the trip and i usually get about 19 around town. I bet I would get better MPG if I had better intakes and a stick, the Brazilian webers are just a metered leak.

So if you are looking for a torque motor with great reliability and no cooling issues, the type IV is the way to go in my book.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: