Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

anyone in Minneapolis know anything about this vannie
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73thingsale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: anyone in Minneapolis know anything about this vannie Reply with quote

Not to show my cards too early, but anyone near Spring Park seen this one or know any history on it:

http://myfox9.carsoup.com/used/detail.asp?vehiclet...uvviewid=2

I'm interested in it, but I would have to have it shipped. So long distance trepidation setting in. Not really wanting to turn the whole buying public onto it to compete with me, but would like to know if anyone has seen/tried/looked at it.

Haven't seen it in the Good Deals thread, so it's just under the radar, or maybe I'm dreaming.
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to go look at it but lost interest.

The body shop that is selling knows nothing about it, they first told me it had a Mitsubishi engine in it and said a bunch of other things that wern't right.

It defiantly needs to be looked at before you would but to see how cobbled it really is.

It's been on craigslist for at least 4 months that I know of. Good deals wouldn't last that long.

Most vans up here are rotted out so who knows what is under the fresh shiny paint.

Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youre looking too hard and punishing yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73thingsale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: too much to hope for Reply with quote

Thought it was strange that the guy told me it had subie engine, but he said a 5 speed trans. Said he thought it was original paint, but looks way too glossy in the photo. If I was very close I might check it out, but since it's so far, I'll put it out of my mind, right. Nice wheels though.

Thanks for helping me keep the perspective. On goes the search...
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: too much to hope for Reply with quote

73thingsale wrote:
Thought it was strange that the guy told me it had subie engine, but he said a 5 speed trans. Said he thought it was original paint, but looks way too glossy in the photo. If I was very close I might check it out, but since it's so far, I'll put it out of my mind, right. Nice wheels though.

Thanks for helping me keep the perspective. On goes the search...

But it clearly does have a subaru engine in it.
And, if it came originally with a diesel, it could easily have a 5 speed, or, since a po apparently did this conversion, it's very possible he sourced a 5 speed and put it in at the same time as he did the suby swap.

At 3400 this is not a good deal, it's a great deal.
If you bought a regular van and at some point wanted to go with the suby swap, the parts alone would cost you this much minimum, so you're getting the van and the labor for free. A shop would charge you 8000 plus just for this swap. And let me tell ya, in a light weight plain jane with a 2.2 suby, they just fly in 2nd/3rd gear.

As for the paint, impossible to tell from the photos, but I'd not be surprised if this was the original paint, someone just took care of it/kept it off the road in winter.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, 73thingsale, i'm in the area but that van doesn't ring a memory bell, and i'm partial to westys, so i wouldn't be a good judge. let us know what you do!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks very well taken care of, clear, thick foam, carpets look healthy, engine looks pretty clean. BUT who can tell without getting it checked out. Perhaps you can hire an auto inspector/assayer to check it out for you or make a deal with someone in here.

Lots of views here. Tough decision. Good luck. Don't know much but seems good price o like someone said A DEAL. Needs to be assessed for hidden rust tho. IMHO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMOP I think that $3,450.00 is a bit high for that vehicle. VanWilder is an "83" Vanagon GL that I paid $850.00 for. It need a bit of work but nothing major. I think if you search more you might find a better deal.
VanWilder has given back to me more then I could ever put into it September 22, 2010
Malama Ka `Aina—"Respect the Land"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: