Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Has anyone added shelves in rear closet?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WHITEWESTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Has anyone added shelves in rear closet? Reply with quote

Has anyone added shelves to the rear closet of their van? I actually only need one or two. It looks like it would be fairly easy but the panel on the window side are thin and flexible and would probably need some sort of re-enforcement. I don't plan on putting anything too heavy and would like it to be removable if possible.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but I also enlarged the door opening, going from the single hinged door to dual sliders on the closet wall facing the mattress. For the shelves I used leftover door luan painted grey to match the Westy interior and for the shelf brackets used four vertical tracks with lots of little slots (two on the inner wall where the front closet door is, and two on the inner bulkhead) from Lowe's that use the little clips for setting the shelf height. The shelves are more useful for us than the hanging locker. I have pix somwhere.

A little later: I just took some detail pix that I'll post tomorrow. Per 1621's note below, it does take a lot of nerve to cut into a pristine cabinet just because you want to "improve" it.

Last edited by campism on Mon May 31, 2010 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention that. I was just going to begin that project today. I added a side door (a recycled Dometic door from Pick-n-Pull) a couple of years ago, but the project stopped there:
    Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No, I don't have a shot with the door open, but you already know what the interior looks like.

My plan was to add some simple shelf hangers, probably the perforation-and-peg variety that you might find in your stereo cabinet with the attachment points being on the inside of the frame of the mirror door and on the opposite wall, the interior of the far closet. I wouldn't carry thunderously heavy stuff in there (Ms. MootPoint want to use the closet for "soft goods") but I do want to be able to adjust the shelves to fit, plus I carry the two multi-step plastic leveling blocks in the very bottom of that cabinet and they need enough open room to wrestle them out through the mirror door.

The shelves themselves will either be painted plywood with some of the plastic T-molding around the edge so they look OME or I might even have enough original kitchen laminate to make the shelves and add the T-molding.

I'll post some pix when it's done
vweggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '90 Multivan came stock with removable shelves in both back closets. The used a combination of saw kerfs and plastic pins to mount the shelves.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about adding some simple vinyl coated wire shelving in the rear closet - like the stuff they carry at HD or Lowe's. I think the wire shelving would allow for more light (I've got a little dome light inside the closet), and it's less likely to collect a bunch of dust.

Still love Moot's extra closet door. I've collected the materials and even the detailed instructions from Mr. Moot himself. I'm just missing the balls necessary to cut into the pristine cabinet wall. Laughing

Thanks for bringing this one up again.
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut the hole for the side door. I did it and it was the best enhanced storage fix ever. Looking at Mootpoints I put my hinges for my new door to the rear of the van, making access from over the back seat easier.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621, go for it! Just breathe deeply before you reach for the sawzall.

(BTW, since I did the cupboard door, I've learned that a 3" dia. hole cutter gives exactly the right radius for the corners and is a (w)hole lot easier than trying to cut a smooth circle by hand.)

I had so much fun adding the back cabinet door that I just added another into the under-seat storage. Why? I rarely travel with more than one passenger so the bed it almost always down for storage of long stuff like a guitar or awning poles. But that means that getting into the under-seat storage is a PITA because you have to put the bed into the seat position before you can lift the seat for access. So...

I built a small separate compartment for the small stuff that is the most often needed such as Mr. Bentley and Mr. Haynes, some oil, some PS fluid, the simple-tools tool roll (the master kit - like I'm a master mechanic? - Right...) is under the main portion along with the big stuff that only comes out in emergencies or a major camping set up. I made the larger portion of the storage lockable a while back so when I need small stuff quick it's there without hassle.

I like the idea of the vinyl wire shelving. Hmmm....
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:
I put my hinges for my new door to the rear of the van, making access from over the back seat easier.

I planned to do that but I felt the hinge placement would be a bit weird because with the door flipped 180° the used-to-be-upper hinge was way low. The frame hinge part are screwed in; the door part is riveted in and looked like a hassle to change so I left it.

For that matter, I had the same issue with my under-seat storage (above) and I probably would have preferred to have it open toward the sliding door but it's OK the way it is.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually travel with the bed down. When we redid Scooby we took out the bulk head under the seat and now it it open. Thinking about what I'll do. Will most likely use a cargo net to stabilize stuff.

Having a Riviera now I have all kinds of cupboards on both sides. Have 2 doors into 2 hanging lockers. Removed the bulkhead between the 2 and now just one big area with 1/2 being over the wheel well and the aft half being much deeper. I will build a removeable false floor for the aft. It will be a good place to store dry goods. That window has a painted board covering the entire window which gives more width to the closet. I can remove the board easily anytime now that the partition is gone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into the same thing hinge-wise, at first I thought there were 2 different hinge styles (left hand/right hand) But actually drillling out the rivet, replace it with a small screw and driving out the pin, and then reverse it was very easy.

A bigger problem was edging material (ie T moulding). Used some from a cabinet supply house, brown color was good, but it is a bit wider that original. I just routed the kerf to let the moulding run wild on the inside of the opening and it looks fime.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:
But actually drillling out the rivet, replace it with a small screw and driving out the pin, and then reverse it was very easy.

You're more inventive than I. I got to the rivet and figured, to heck with it. Glad that worked.
Microbusdeluxe wrote:

A bigger problem was edging material (ie T moulding). Used some from a cabinet supply house, brown color was good, but it is a bit wider that original. I just routed the kerf to let the moulding run wild on the inside of the opening and it looks fime.

I got my T-molding from Rockler, IIRC. It was indeed a tad wider than the laminate ply, but I just installed it and then sliced it to fit with a single edge razor blade on the outside so it was flush with the surface. Looks good to my ancient eyes.
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another wardrobe rebuild story is here:

www.griffco.ca/interest/ and look for the Westfalia link then Wardrobe Doors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expanded the opening for better access and made new doors and shelves out of luan.

Sliders take up no room in the mattress area.

With doors off you can see the new space.

Hardware from Lowe’s or HoDepot does just fine here.

I reused the grey T-edging to finish the new opening.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I like that sliding door and shelving unit. Exclamation That is so neat and functional. Good job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, those sliding doors look great, very practical, I would go that route instead of the two separate doors, great job.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Keith Kiernicki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love those sliding doors! Where did you get most of the door material from?
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem I see with the sliding doors is getting to the stuff in the middle. ie, you can't get that blue rubbermade from either door without moving other stuff.
Good way to open up the space though.

Personally, that closet holds all my bedding and it just gets shoved in thru the side door.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campism, that is beautifully executed! I love the craftsmanship that went into that one. It's also very nice to have doors that slide versus swing outs due to the other stuff that inevitably gets crammed in h back. nc ork!

Just returned from the hardware store and verified Mootpoint's hole saw tip. The 3" is good for the smaller doors, and 4" is what you want for the larger refrigerator door. It's nearly a perfect match. I'm now one step closer to starting this project. Soon...
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stole the idea from a veteran Vanagon guy, Frank Condelli, who posts on the Yahoo Vanagon group and has a web page for his stuff, so props to him. I used luan for the door and shelves, available at any lumberyard or home improvement place. The doors could still be trimmed for better access (the blue tub); I just don't want to triim too much and have to do it over. Glad you like it.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps things rarely used could be positioned there or a simple rearrangement of priority items. Good point but overcomeable Smile

I have two access doors on that same bulkhead and wouldn't those sliding doors look GREAT there. hmm my talents don't go that far Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: