Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What does this hose do?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbbjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: What does this hose do? Reply with quote

Hi all, staring at my engine (don't we all), I am wondering what the expensive coolant hose that runs from the left head on the #4 spark plug side, steps down in size, and connects to the coolant rail that runs around the engine compartment does? I've had a persistant leak where it attaches to the rail as I don't think the hose steps down quite enough to seal well (even with two clamps) to the rail. Also I notice that hose doesn't seem to heat up like the other hoses attached to the rail. Bentley is no help and one of the parts dealers refers to it as for Vans with A/C. Thanks, puzzling Jim
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your talking about the hose I am thinking your are it looks kinda like
a pipe with a really long stem?? It is part of the system that the 2.1 uses to "self" bleed the coolant system. Do you have enough length on the hose where you could snip off a small section so you will have fresh rubber to clamp to? I have also found for a leaking hose is to put a bit of hylomar on the hose and then clamp it. Let it set up for an hour or so before adding coolant. This has worked where I have had a water outlet that was pitted up and I couldn't get a seal. Is your coolant ring plastic or metal? If its the plastic one too much clamping pressure will cause distortion that may make it leak.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, it's just an air purge hose, and that one typically runs cool.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bbbjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys, it's good to know there is a coolant hose that should run cool. No longer puzzled Jim.
r.e.wing_fc3s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the hose is still serviceable after a little trim and the mating surface sanded/cleaned up with possible use of hylomar or curil. i always prefer to use oem style clamps. ive seen very few leak when the hose and clamp were in good condition. In the vanagon oem spring clamps design prevents the overtightening you were concerned about.

before anybody wants to make this thread a debate about clamps be aware you wont be saying anything that hasn't already been posted many many times already. Arrow
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, regarding hose clamps, can I just say I hate the OEM spring clamps with the little tongue thing that prevents me from opening them enough to get off swollen old hoses. Hate would be the operative word........

Back to regular programming.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
r.e.wing_fc3s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Um, regarding hose clamps, can I just say I hate the OEM spring clamps with the little tongue thing that prevents me from opening them enough to get off swollen old hoses.

i know what you mean. the tab is there though to prevent over opening. some people grind off the tab. ive always been able to get them off with lots of silicone spray a little patience and a variety of hose clamp pliers. se tools make my favorite.
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with both of the above posters, having just gone through 40 clamps or so. I kept and re-used the handful of spring clamps I had, re-installing them in the hard to access spots where future tightening would be difficult, (front heater valve, for example), or on plastic nipples when I could (heater cores). I like that they can self-adjust with thermal/seasonal changes. I found a spring clamp pliers at Sears that uses a cable. Yep they were still a pain to wiggle off swollen hoses because of the limiting tab, I too used silicone lube.

Back on topic, I'm relieved to learn that it is normal for that hose to run cool. It seems whatever the question, eventually there will be an answer on the samba. Smile
floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: What does this hose do? Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone had any more information about the "peace pipe", cooling hose 025-121-058M which connects from the 3/4 cylinder side up to the bleeder ring. Pic from a similar thread below:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462973&highlight=peace+pipe

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I recently had an issue where the fitting for this hose broke apart and leaked coolant all over the road. Although my mechanic was able to isolate the leak to here (thankfully not the waterjacket seals which are close by), it appears from this thread that the hose usually runs cool (arrow in diagram below)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am unsure if this hose running cool means no coolant flow or simply cool flowing coolant. Can anyone help confirm that I have normal function in my cooling system if there is in fact coolant flowing through this hose?
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: What does this hose do? Reply with quote

Yeah, it's normal for all of the coolant hoses to have coolant running from them.

The purpose of the peace pipe hose (along with the other ones that connect to the ring that runs around the top of the engine compartment) is to deliver any air bubbles in the coolant to the expansion tank. From there, they exit through the blue pressure cap to the overflow tank where they vent to the atmosphere. This keeps you from having air in your coolant system.
floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What does this hose do? Reply with quote

Thank you SCM!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: What does this hose do? Reply with quote

That hose off the rear of the left head is by no means "cool"!

The coolant in that hose is pulled from the absolutely hottest part of the combustion process.

That same head fitting is routing hot combustion coolant to the radiator when a head is used as the right head!

That is extremely hot coolant in the peace pipe that has not and will not pass through the radiator.
It is routed to the coolant pressure tank then to the water pump.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: