Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What have you done to your VW Trike lately?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
samgroce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would like to see more pics of body. Is it fiberglass?
slick rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My little scooter , that I constantly do things too .
PNGPNG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up my trike. It is a 72 super beetle to a 74 Honda cb550. working through issues from the way the PO built it.

Will post pics as soon as I figure out how.

So far I ordered an engine cage, and the parts to convert the clutch over to a manula clutch. Also trying to figure out my oil leak.. really think it might be more blow by then leak. If it isnt blowby, I ordered a whole engine gasket kit.

Last thing on my agenda is moving the shifter from the right side over to the left side so I can shift with my left hand instead of my right one.
BigIz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: First post, introductions Reply with quote

Iz here from the coast of Maryland. Sharing my latest project, some restoration and (continued) modifications to a 70's Stiers Trike. 1966 drivetrain, upgraded to 1500cc form, swingaxle, upgraded to new foot controls and hydraulic clutch. Waiting for tires to come in for a pair of slotted mags to get rid of the chrome steelies. It is a blast to pilot. Picked it up a few months ago, been working out some kinks, and plan to pull the body off and do a full rewiring along with engine rebuild and transaxle seals.

MIDEVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: My Mid Engine VW Trike Reply with quote

So far I love it!
MIDEVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: What have you done to your VW Trike lately? Reply with quote

A preride inspection caught a broken downtube on my old springer front end. I got it fixed now and just have to reinstall it. THe Buel XB 12 Front Wheel assembly is working great!
Uncle_Stumpy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you done to your VW Trike lately? Reply with quote

Been riding the check out of it until I can find a rebuild kit for my automatic trans, and maybe some bigger jugs. I'm also thinking of getting an aftermarket carb.

styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you done to your VW Trike lately? Reply with quote

I bought this a couple years ago. It was complete, but not running correctly. The engine is a custom build; a 1600cc dual relief case, 1300cc cylinders, and 1200cc pre '65 heads. Everyone says that can't be, but here it is.

The bike builder was a motorcycle and side-car builder, who built this to complete his bucket list, touring America on an economic machine, stingy on gas. Hence, the weird build. He passed before he could complete the list. The engine builder ended up with it. He was a career VW bug mechanic all his life, and I bought it from him because he was aging out as well.

It fits perfectly in a standard pick-up bed, and that's how I brought it home.

Could not get the engine to run properly, so I removed it and began tearing it down. Turns out is was the crush rings between the intake manifold and heads.

It has sat in this condition because I have not had the time or energy to get back to it; but I have re-caught the 'Bug", pardon my pun, and I am back to it.

I took off a drag handle bar set because it required me to bend forward to drive it, and bought a beach bar for it. This required me to lengthen the front brake line and the electrical harness to the Harley controls and switches and the pulled-back handle bars. Can-of-worms. Tearing into the wiring, which was neatly installed because the guy was a good mechanic, I discovered he knew nothing of automotive electrical circuits. No power relays for lights, horn, and starter circuits. He wired the 18ga. Harley control wires to directly power the high current circuits.

I have ordered a relay/fuse block ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FWILL20/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) for it, and plan to do a complete rewire. This was the closest thing to a complete setup I could find without going for a $500 Painless harness that would have been overkill. I think all I will need to add to this is a flasher.

I am about to remount the engine, and somehow my clutch plate has disappeared, so I need a new one. Does anyone have a recommendation for a soft/gentle clutch plate for what I guess to be 36hp or less?

Here's some pics. I would love to talk about my trike, if you have any thing to offer.[img]

customcityjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you done to your VW Trike lately? Reply with quote

That my friend is a 40hp intake manifold for a single port and they last forever. Not a lot of power but you don't need that much for a trike. I am a trike builder also. Welcome to the club. I need to see the numbers on the front of the motor under the generator stand to see what motor you have. Your trans. is a IRS. Your motor should be a 12 volt to match the flywheel to the trans. If so you just need a stock clutch disc and pressure plate. If you tell me the numbers I will tell you what it is.
styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: What have you done to your VW Trike lately? Reply with quote

I am no expert on these things. The manifold is nearly an inch longer than the early manifold. Did the 40hp manifold look like it was a welded up cross between a 36hp and ?

This is my block number: B5136549
customcityjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you done to your VW Trike lately? Reply with quote

From what I can see it looks like a 69 model 1600 single port with forty horse heads and intake. The intake that came on 1600 single port motors was uite different from the one you have. Now it could be that you have an industrial motor which someone found and put in it. Would need to see head #s for that one.
styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you done to your VW Trike lately? Reply with quote

customcityjim wrote:
From what I can see it looks like a 69 model 1600 single port with forty horse heads and intake. The intake that came on 1600 single port motors was uite different from the one you have. Now it could be that you have an industrial motor which someone found and put in it. Would need to see head #s for that one.

It's difficult to see, but that first letter on the case is a 'B', and before that is the VW logo.

I cannot remember which it was, but the engine builder said the engine had genuine German heads or cylinders. That seemed to matter to him. The heads are flatheads, that I understand are pre-mid 1965.

He said he built it using a dual relief case, and my number research seems to indicate this block came out of a 1970 type 2, as the 1969 type 2 did not have a dual relief engine case.

Some VW experts have told me that 1200 heads can be machined to fit on 1300 cylinders, the goal being economy.
styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you done to your VW Trike lately? Reply with quote

Engine cleaned up, carburetors mounted, and throttle cables are almost done:

styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you done to your VW Trike lately? Reply with quote

Finished installing the splitter on the throttle cables - 2 into 1:

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you done to your VW Trike lately? Reply with quote

styroman wrote:
I am no expert on these things. The manifold is nearly an inch longer than the early manifold. Did the 40hp manifold look like it was a welded up cross between a 36hp and ?

I believe what you have there is a '66 beetle 1300 engine put into a later case. This was a transition year between the '65 40 hp 1200 and the newer 1500/1600 engines. It used the newer 96mm crankshaft on the 1200 cylinders and heads. The case and crank made for a wider engine so that is why the intake is wider than the 40 hp one.
Many say that the 1300 way the most reliable, longest lasting stock engine VW ever produced. And it was rated at 53 hp! It was only produced for 1 year.

Sweet!
fatirossi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you done to your VW Trike lately? Reply with quote

Here are my two home builds.

First one was built totally from scratch, including the front leading link suspension and the fibreglass body. Unfortunately had to to sell it when we moved to Texas.

Second one was bought as a rolling chassis when we returned from Texas. Was stripped, rebuilt, and redesigned on a Steampunk/Victoriana theme.

Just come back from a rally on this one with a few engine problems. So now undergoing an engine rebuild.
grandpanystrom61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you done to your VW Trike lately? Reply with quote

Smile Good day to everyone. I am new to the site and finally got around to registering so I could post.
I bought this VW Trike, it was a fiberglass kit back in early to mid 70's, DMV paper work is dated 1976 as first year trike was legal for the road here in Nevada.
So it has this 1600cc Dual port engine, that I upgrade the ignition system on when I had to get the two carb's cleaned and rebuilt, runs so smooth now.
Best I can figure is the IRS system is from a Super Beetle, and the engine number says it was produced in late 1973 and things seem to look about the same in the 1974 super beetle manual, need to get a service manual.
Spent the first winter redoing the electrical system, next was a instrument panel and getting that started, almost done, and at the same time I started designing a gas tank. I had to remove the decayed fiberglass tank, it just totally gummed up the fuel lines and carb's.
Trying to learn to TIG weld so I can put this tank together. My model fits and all looked good, so I have all cut and some ready to weld together, just not sure if I am that good yet.
Lowered the darn thing a few days ago, it was just to jacked up and stressed the CV boots and the joints. It was under so much tension it road like a rigid frame Harley with no spring seat, and now it might be a bit loose, road test will tell, but still need to see if the air shocks are any good.
Still trying to figure out this 5 speed VW transmission, what it came out of and the year, kinda find out the fact's about what I am running.
I will try to locate a few photo's
grandpanystrom61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you done to your VW Trike lately? Reply with quote

and my first lowering attempt is a little to much for what I wanted.

grandpanystrom61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you done to your VW Trike lately? Reply with quote

So since than I have put new bushings on the trailing arms along with the spring plate rubbers. I had some wear, not excessive, but enough I put new seals and wheel bearings in the rear end.

Along the way, well found no oil cooler on the engine, so made a mount for the external oil cooler and mounted it after moving the breather box to the other side of the fan shroud. All looks cleaner, but than I had to make a support bracket and re route fuel lines, but put in the proper filters and checked the little cone filters in the carbs.

Now it ran hot before doing any of this, so further checking I found that my timing was excessively advanced, and to even get the engine to want to restart I am near 30 degrees before TDC, just has me wondering WTF is going on.

I still need to square up the rear end to the front tire and a few other things, but I do hope to be running and on the road soon, as the sun is coming out more these days.
Weirdbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: What have you done to your VW Trike lately? Reply with quote

Just started one. Found one in a garage bought it for 1000. Frame, gas tank engine and trans.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: