Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buff Beetle
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Buff Beetle Reply with quote

Well I guess I'd better start a build thread on this project. We had a crazy idea about putting a V8 with a beetle, and decided to go as far out as we could. So we took a Super Beetle body and cut it apart. We had a Chevy truck frame and shortened it in several places, mostly the middle and rear. With this, we welded the body of the super on to the frame, and as of now, have a 4 link and narrowed Ford 8.8 rear disc setup, and a Chevy 427 and TH350 trans to go in this. The body is welded on the frame, as well as all the motor and trans mounts. Fenders are welded to the body, and we're going to begin building a floor and roll cage. Yesterday my students and I just finished the hood scoop, the tunnel ram and carbs sit too high, so we had to open the hood up. Here some pictures.

This was our initial test fit for the engine and trans inside the frame with body on.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is getting the fenders welded on.

We finished da scoop!

Rear slick option, I think it's too wide.

67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Buff Beetle Reply with quote

More power to the students. We need more activities such as these. They are not making a car that drives/parks itself that is fueld by canisters of screams. These students look like they are having fun.
Geeto67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Buff Beetle Reply with quote

seen a couple of V8 swapped bugs local to me. most use either a stock beetle floor pan and use tubing to make a subframe, or use a chevy S10 chassis that they channel the body over.

On hot rod power tour this year there was a guy with a 572ci powered beetle with a flip up body like a dragster, it was pretty awesome and really clean:

Link

Link
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Buff Beetle Reply with quote

not sure that scoop is big enough! Think

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Buff Beetle Reply with quote

Be cool if you lose the scoop and the hood altogether. Hell, the high rise and quads are the focal point, they steal the show, accentuate those and the compartment, rather than make it look like a homely Super with the hideous hood Wink

You'll thank me later Cool
Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Buff Beetle Reply with quote

Has some time to get stuff worked on for project Buff Beetle. Engine back in and running, and found a front end off a square back to use.

This is what we put as ride height and adjusted where the beam sits in, but it's not in the picture at this moment.

This is the engine while we were mocking up a radiator. The one we might be using is going to come from a Nissan I'm guessing, took like two hours running through a book checking dimensions to see what fits.

67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Buff Beetle Reply with quote

Had some more time on this project. Got the front beam welded in finally. Oddly it still has some suspension movement even with all the weight.

It's in and ready. We set the car down and this is the first time it's been on all four of it's own wheels in about two years.

Modified type 3 beam.

67 Beetle, Opal
Retrovan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Buff Beetle Reply with quote

Do not use that hood scoop,

Let the engine stick out the hood and fit two individual small carb scoops.

The build is great but the big hood scoop will kill it.

OMO

Herman

1972 Bay Panel-van with type 4 2 Lt. twin 34 ICT's (white)
2019 Beetle Flatbed Truck called MeFusco
1973 FT Hahn SP - Project 1776cc
Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Buff Beetle Reply with quote

It's been a bit, but I've made a lot of progress lately of camera persay. Ended up changing frames to an Explorer. Shortened it and cut it to fit the body. There is now the axle positioned, and it has front end suspension, and steering already installed. The big block doesn't quiet fit in this frame as well, so I'll be making new mounts, but now I have a 454 instead of the 427. I've spent the last three days making a floor and supports.

I've got more done than what's pictured, but only have the parts to finish the fire wall cut to fit but not welded in. Just figure I'd drop a line in and give an update. And yes, we decided to not run the scoop.
67 Beetle, Opal
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: