Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus wont start after long drives with key??
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Bus wont start after long drives with key?? Reply with quote

Ok this one has me stumpted. I did not want to hijack the other starter thread so here goes. i drive me bus everyday and have no starting issues except on long trips. about 2-3 straight hours of driving my bus wont start with the key. i turn the key and it does nothing. i push the bus- pop the clutch and it starts right up and runs like a champ. i replaced the ignition switch back in september and replaced the starter with another used one in november. this only happens when i drive more than 2 hours. ive had other buses and have driven cross-country without any problems in the past. could my starter be getting to hot? any ideas?
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wont start after long drives with key?? Reply with quote

mousegrey64 wrote:
Ok this one has me stumpted. I did not want to hijack the other starter thread so here goes. i drive me bus everyday and have no starting issues except on long trips. about 2-3 straight hours of driving my bus wont start with the key. i turn the key and it does nothing. i push the bus- pop the clutch and it starts right up and runs like a champ. i replaced the ignition switch back in september and replaced the starter with another used one in november. this only happens when i drive more than 2 hours. ive had other buses and have driven cross-country without any problems in the past. could my starter be getting to hot? any ideas?

Tranny Ground strap...
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See how hot your coil is next time this happens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintonman wrote:

How would that affect the starter?

Last edited by Emeritusx on Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have to beat my starter with my lug wrench to start mine! I changed the starter and everything is better. I also changed my headlight switch at the same time I am told that it controls some voltage to the starter. Surprised Good luck! Btw my wife won't push, you must be a lucky guy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hot start relay problem?? does bus start again after sitting a whille i.e cooling down??

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wired/wired_03_01/wired_03_01.htm
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the vw engineers know how to start a bus even when hot. Before spending a bit of money go and clean all the both of the major grounds. both ends, including in the bolt holes and the bolts. Then go and try all the other stuff.
amg3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have this same problem. after some driving and the engine heats up nice (im in tucson, engine temp. at 200 or so) she wont start again. turn the key, lights come on, wont even crank. highly doubt its my starter/ solenoid, am more inclined to go with tranny ground strap. have not tried a replacement yet, should i just swap a new one in? curious as to how this creates the problem, forgive my ignorance. Oh, if I let it sit and cool a bit fires right up.
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starter bushing
starter brushes
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
Aaron
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run an extra wire from the unused + tab on the starter into the engine bay (tape the end). Keep the wire coiled away until the next time the bus won't start. Turn the ignition on and "jump" the starter. If it starts you know the starter is good and the issue is elsewhere, you'll also be up and running.
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron wrote:
Run an extra wire from the unused + tab on the starter into the engine bay (tape the end). Keep the wire coiled away until the next time the bus won't start. Turn the ignition on and "jump" the starter. If it starts you know the starter is good and the issue is elsewhere, you'll also be up and running.

ive actually thought about doing that very thing. i recall back in september when i drove it 800 miles i jumped the starter with a screwdriver and it fired up just fine. i havent tried that trick recently tho. bus is lowered so its kinda hard to crawl under.
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can test your ground straps with jumper cables... Ground the battery to the engine... Usually ground goes from battery to body from body to engine.. The tranny ground strap is just like a loose cable on your battery if its even only 1 ohm resistance that means max current is limited to 12 amps...
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emeritusx wrote:
mintonman wrote:

It's just a statement, my 79 bus use to do as mentioned and every time my coil was hot as hell. Maybe I should have added (LOL!) for you.
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintonman wrote:
Emeritusx wrote:
mintonman wrote:

It's just a statement, my 79 bus use to do as mentioned and every time my coil was hot as hell. Maybe I should have added (LOL!) for you.

Just didn't want the OP side tracking... Starter wont turn... Not car wont start... Your advice is good when car wont start when hot.. Got a coil in my garage that does that very thing..

Anyway... No biggie..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: