Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help- looking for a mobile Vanagon mech, Los Angeles
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
leminem88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Help- looking for a mobile Vanagon mech, Los Angeles Reply with quote

Hi! I'm currently looking for help finding a mobile mechanic in the Los angles CA area.

I have a 1982 air-cooled Vanagon. first timer here with VW, I wanted to pull the eng, that had a few leaks and go through it with someone knowledgeable to teach me tricks, tips, and what to dos. My friend recommended this guy who worked on 5 of his vws. long story short, we pulled the end and trans. went through it and then he just ghosted me. this was supposed to be a 2-day job, its been 2 months and i have the eng and trans sitting in my driveway still. it's all ready to go back in besides putting the flywheel on and a vavle adjustment. I'm not confident in the flywheel seals or valve adjustment. I have the two main repair books and youtube so if i really have to do it myself i could but still want to make sure i don't miss or put a seal in wrong. plus i don't have the special tools that i see in the videos. if someone is willing to spend some time talking me through it or knows someone that could come help I'll gladly pay for the time. the eng was running great just wanted to learn and go through fix leaks, and know whats, what.

i've called shops and can't find anyone. I'm in a tight, tricky ally so i can't get it towed into a shop.

anything helps thanks
James lemmon
RET. Vet.
805-709-8104
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Help- looking for a mobile Vanagon mech, Los Angeles Reply with quote

I'm too far away to offer to help, but you might want to start a thread in the bay window forum, too. Late bays have essentially the same motor as the early air cooled vanagons.

Hans
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Help- looking for a mobile Vanagon mech, Los Angeles Reply with quote

James, reach out to Robbie at airschooled.com
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Help- looking for a mobile Vanagon mech, Los Angeles Reply with quote

VanAlert.com has a map and listings of LA repair shops:

https://m.vanalert.com/vanagon-repair-shops/c/0

You may need to download the app.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leminem88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help- looking for a mobile Vanagon mech, Los Angeles Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
James, reach out to Robbie at airschooled.com

oh wow this is great thanks!
and thanks everyone for reaching out.
leminem88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Help- looking for a mobile Vanagon mech, Los Angeles Reply with quote

hdenter wrote:
I'm too far away to offer to help, but you might want to start a thread in the bay window forum, too. Late bays have essentially the same motor as the early air cooled vanagons.

Hans

thanks will check it out
leminem88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Help- looking for a mobile Vanagon mech, Los Angeles Reply with quote

shadetreemech wrote:
VanAlert.com has a map and listings of LA repair shops:

https://m.vanalert.com/vanagon-repair-shops/c/0

You may need to download the app.

Dan

great app, i ran through all of them in the area. no help Sad they couldn't offer mobile
leminem88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Help- looking for a mobile Vanagon mech, Los Angeles Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i got my Bronco put together, i know i can do the Vanagon but just wanna do it right the first time
leminem88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Help- looking for a mobile Vanagon mech, Los Angeles Reply with quote

oh and he took my intake pipes to remove a broken injector bolt. this is what he showed up with.....why....i'll never know
cut and welded, ready to install as is.

unbelievable
Diy2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Help- looking for a mobile Vanagon mech, Los Angeles Reply with quote

Gwat da fack?

Sounds like he took off and stole some of your parts. I would try to get them back before moving forward.

As for the seal and engine, you’re almost there!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Help- looking for a mobile Vanagon mech, Los Angeles Reply with quote

Hello, I don’t know a professional that would take on that job. Especially after seeing the hacked intake manifold runners.

Other than the flywheel seal, the air cooled engine can be completely resealed installed.

There is enough information on You Tube, the samba, and the internet, that you should be able to DIY it. Perhaps a local vw person might be willing to lend an extra pair of hands. It’s a lot to do alone. You could hurt yourself.

Most Pros are in the business to make a living. Your van sets off all my warning bells. If you can find a shop, I’d work on packing everything up and somehow getting the van to the shop. It should roll, so if you got it into a difficult spot, you should be able to get it out with some effort. Sorry about all this. 2 days would not have been enough time to do what you described above. Especially on the ground.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Help- looking for a mobile Vanagon mech, Los Angeles Reply with quote

Check out this shop in Torrance... They are very good and trusty...

https://powerhausvwparts.com/

1938 Del Amo Boulevard, Torrance, CA 90501
(310) 328-2746

I don't think they will come to your place. Your best is to tow the van to them with all the parts.

good luck...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: