Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

water pump failure mode question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: water pump failure mode question Reply with quote

It appears as if my water pump is leak, getting about a drip a minute.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's not coming from a gasket as far as I can see. Looking in at the pump from the cat

It appears that the leak is coming from just below the gasket, the gasket looks dry.

Is there a weep hole in that area?
Will subaru conditioner plug it for a couple of hundred miles until I get a new pump?
Assuming its a bearing failure leaking in to the weep hole, how long have people run in this situation?

I'm planning a bostig conversion and would rather not put too much money in to the 2.1

Thanks all! /pauric

'87 2.1. 125K 4spd Not rebuilt "Red Dwarf"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaks from the weep hole (yes, there is one) are your early warning that pump bearing failure is imminent. They fall apart pretty fast after that. This is not a condition where it would be advisable to drive any distance at all, and this is one of the external leaks a coolant stop-leak will not address, because it's not just a little leak, it's sign of mechanical wear in the bearing.

Get a little hand mirror in under the pump, from above, so you can see the weep hole. If it is wet or stained below the hole, you had better park it or get a new water pump. If you choose to drive it, I wouldn't wander far from home.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
Leaks from the weep hole (yes, there is one) are your early warning that pump bearing failure is imminent. They fall apart pretty fast after that. This is not a condition where it would be advisable to drive any distance at all, and this is one of the external leaks a coolant stop-leak will not address, because it's not just a little leak, it's sign of mechanical wear in the bearing.

Get a little hand mirror in under the pump, from above, so you can see the weep hole. If it is wet or stained below the hole, you had better park it or get a new water pump. If you choose to drive it, I wouldn't wander far from home.

That's what I thought. As always, thanks 10c.

/pauric

DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my coolant pump was leaking sometimes faster than others and I was always topping the main reservoir up. We had a new pump and gasket and I had it changed yesterday. I did not want to wait until it failed. I feel better with it done Smile Also took out the rear heater at same time as replacement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fwiw I now recall tightening the alternator at the start of the season as it was squealing on start-up. I assumed it was a loose belt although it seemed fine. I should have left it alone as I think tightening might have precipitated the earlier than necessary purchase of a new watepump. )o; The squealing was most likely due to cold weather pulling the battery down overnight.

Shapsters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: water pump failure mode question Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

After some research I believe I am in need of a new water pump, as it appears I have a decent amount of leakage coming from the weep hole.

Since I was doing an oil change, I had the filter out and could get a good look at the spot from where the coolant is dripping. I figured just to be sure I would take a couple of pics to confirm that I am indeed in need of a new pump. Thanks!

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: water pump failure mode question Reply with quote

Shapsters wrote:
Hi Everyone,

After some research I believe I am in need of a new water pump, as it appears I have a decent amount of leakage coming from the weep hole.

Since I was doing an oil change, I had the filter out and could get a good look at the spot from where the coolant is dripping. I figured just to be sure I would take a couple of pics to confirm that I am indeed in need of a new pump. Thanks!

That last picture nailed it. Leaking pump, time for a new one
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: