Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wife's First VW: Early 1964 N Notchback
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Wife's First VW: Early 1964 N Notchback Reply with quote

Last night we bought my wife a 1963 Notch that was found here on the Samba. It's her first old VW (and I've been driving them for over 20 years but never had a T3).

So we're completely new to Type 3s and I'm hoping (and expecting) to learn quite a bit in the coming weeks and months.

Let's start with the fun stuff:
VIN: 0266806 (Samba VIN section suggests a Sept 63 build...so is it actually a 64 model?)

We have nearly 25 years worth of receipts and some old photographs which I'll scan later and add to the thread. The history of the car as we know it starts in '85 when it was stripped down and painted Corvette Yellow, Gray velour interior, disc brakes up front, four lug Riviera wheels all around. It might be lowered a notch, I can't be sure.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The motor's a 1600DP with dual webers. Runs good, but the throttle cable sticks a little (blip it and it's good) and the front seat is not 100% in place as I kept getting thrown back when I'd take off from a light!

So we took a friend to go look at it last night and while the 1985 work is showing its age, it's a solid car that really just needs a bunch of small tinkering done to it. Took it for a spin, mulled it over, decided we wanted it.

Then it wouldn't start again! Shocked After a bit of fussing and checking things, it just turned out to be that the battery had finally given up the ghost. The owner slapped one in from a different car and it fired right up. Checked to make sure it was charging, yup! And we were back on!

So we bomb down 101 with the lights working, but no dash lights and the heater apparently stuck on (windows down!) to the weekly BLTN VW club hangout. And only one person there knew we were potentially getting this Notch so it was a big draw when we pulled up!

Bear with the cell phone pix:

Those last two are after we got it home and parked. Now I don't have a pic of it yet, but the spot where the headlight and wiper switches are appear to be mounted to a black rectangle to the left of the steering wheel. The headlight switch looks dead-on to a Bug's switch and I'm kind of wonder if it's actually a push button Notch, but I need your expertise to determine that for sure.

And that's about where we stand...

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995

Last edited by NorCalWeekender on Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
magoo125
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice looking notch Cool

1967 Squareback 'I've seen the Type 3 light'
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! My friend who came up with us just sent me a pic of the dashboard...hope this helps determine some stuff.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
magoo125
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this photo in the archives from a 63 brochure, it shows the same set up as yours,

just looks like one of your switches has been changed at some point

1967 Squareback 'I've seen the Type 3 light'
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! That's helpful! Thank you!

flyinglow94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Notch. But it looks like a lot of parts have been changed for a 63. Like the rear reflectors, the front turn signals and a 63 would have a push button dash just to start. it looks more like a 64N . Not having the door lock on the passenger side ,no over riders . the pull knobs instead of the push button and the engine compartment looks wider than the 63. Its still a great find.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorCalRiviera wrote:
Thanks! My friend who came up with us just sent me a pic of the dashboard...hope this helps determine some stuff.

Your early '64 notch would have had a pushbutton unit from the factory. The rectangular black plastic plate with push/pull switches is the factory replacement, so the original pushbutton unit must have gone bad a long time ago. The light switch in your car looks like the original replacement switch, but the wiper switch is from a much newer T3.

It also looks like the original plastic fresh air control knobs were replaced with the chrome knobs from a '66 at some point. It's a good upgrade if you're not overly concerned with year-specific "correctness," since the early plastic parts break very easily. Looks like you need a '66 ashtray pull to match.
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being the wife's car...it's really up to her liking. I mean, if she's happy with it...that's what matters.

Now, let's talk what year it is...because all the paperwork I have going back says '63. If it's really an early '64...should I bother with the DMV and stuff to get the right year on it?

t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed the lack of a passenger-side door lock, and you have a non-wraparound dash, so I agree with flyinglow that this is probably one of the first 1500N models. Ns didn't come with pushbutton units, so the black plastic switch plate and light switch might be original to the car after all.

Does the front trunk lid have a prop rod instead of springs to hold it open?
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it does use a prop rod...and has that awful 80s stone fleck paint inside, too!

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t3kg wrote:
NorCalRiviera wrote:

Your early '64 notch would have had a pushbutton unit from the factory. The rectangular black plastic plate with push/pull switches is the factory replacement, so the original pushbutton unit must have gone bad a long time ago. The light switch in your car looks like the original replacement switch, but the wiper switch is from a much newer T3.

It also looks like the original plastic fresh air control knobs were replaced with the chrome knobs from a '66 at some point. It's a good upgrade if you're not overly concerned with year-specific "correctness," since the early plastic parts break very easily. Looks like you need a '66 ashtray pull to match.

What this all means is that your notchback was a 1964 S that has been hit in 1985 with a CalLook stick, big time. I did it to my 64 back in 1993 with a RestoCustom stick.

Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, then what you have is an early 1964 1500N, a fairly rare car that is in some ways more desirable than a '63. It's had some later-model parts added to it and some custom touches, but it still has a lot of the N features. Congrats!
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t3kg wrote:
Very cool, then what you have is an early 1964 1500N, a fairly rare car that is in some ways more desirable than a '63. It's had some later-model parts added to it and some custom touches, but it still has a lot of the N features. Congrats!

So we can say that we strong certainty? Should I bother with the DMV and just let them think it's a 63?

t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can post a photo of the front trunk prop rod we can confirm whether it's an N model or not, but I'm 99% sure it is. Your VIN points to October 1963 build date, so it's definitely a '64 model.

A lot of early Type 3s were misregistered when they were brought over. I don't know how much trouble it would be to correct the year. You might want to just leave it as is rather than go through the hassle of correcting it.

Last edited by t3kg on Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: a 1964 N thats been hit with a CaLook stick Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, give me a few minutes and I'll run back down there and snap a pic.

I'd change the thread title more...but we'll let the Cal Look stick part be a surprise. Wink

NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prop Rod detail and the Vin plate:

And I think my bus is in the background of one of those pix.

t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an N alright. Too bad about the Zolotone trunk paint!
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Yeah...the Cal Look stick was sore after this ride came through!

Let me load up the pix the PO sent from 1985 (yes, he sent them directly from 1985, Marty!).

NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, put on some Huey Lewis & the News...here we go!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: