Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I am having a hard time finding 1st.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwlovr wrote:
syncrodoka wrote:
Good luck

yer gonna need it Laughing

adjusting the rod is a true test of patience. clearly mark where you started before you start adjusting.

And a big part of that adjustment will be the diamond shaped plate at the base of the shifter, inside the cab, under the rubber boot.
Like vwlovr said, mark an outline to help guide your progress.

As far as new plastic on the tabs, I've seen it attempted, but it didn't last long.
Has anyone had long term success with that?
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:

As far as new plastic on the tabs, I've seen it attempted, but it didn't last long.
Has anyone had long term success with that?

i machined some out of delrin last year and they seem to be holding up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
The Salt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwlovr wrote:
syncrodoka wrote:
Good luck

yer gonna need it Laughing

adjusting the rod is a true test of patience. clearly mark where you started before you start adjusting.

Thats encouraging! Haha
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the shift linkage repair kit from GW. I removed my old ball and sokcet and compared it to the new one from GW. I couldn't see a difference between the one remvoed from the van and the new one, leading me to believe that 1) this was not the solution to my problem, and 2) the PO may have already had this repair done (He was not a DIYer so he couldn't speak to any of the repairs). I almost sent the new unit back to GW, but then thought screw it, It won't hurt to just do it. I am glad I did. NIGHT AND DAY! I was actually dumbfounded. I really could not believe how much of an improvement the new linkage was.

That was Friday night, Saturday morning I started investigating why I kept slipping into reverse when I wanted to get into 1st. . . . .

I just did the hose/epoxy fix as well, but I used JB Weld to build up the metal flange. Then I slid the piece of hose on (only my passenger side plactic was missing - other side is good as new). Then I filled and costed the hose with JB weld. I am not sure how long it will last, but I can't wait 'til it sets so I can try it out my new shifting mechanism.......I'll let you know Sunday.

'87 Wolfsburg Weekender, Bostig Zetec

The rehabilitation of my Van can be found here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5949024#5949024
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what mine does: slips into reverse when I'm trying to put it into first.

Done so far: the VC rear shift lever kit, two shift rod bushings, put pieces of fuel hose over the shift fork ends.

Let us know how your fix works.

Mine also scratches going into first, second, third gears...
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you done those improvements and still experience sloppy shifting, or are the improvements yet to be tested?

The rehabilitation of my Van can be found here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5949024#5949024
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fix worked like magic. I no longer slip into reverse and getting into 1st is not confronted with a springy rejection and me ultimately cursing.

I still have a little play when it is in gear through. Is there any way to fix that? Anyone?

davidbaldwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fairweather wrote:
Just noticed that GW is out of stock:

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_251_1246/shift_linkage_repair_kit.html

HI, I'm new here.
Thanks for the link for the van-cafe shift linkage repair kits. Seems this is exactly what I'm looking for. THere seems to be different names and versions of the "elbow" piece.

- in the van-cafe repair kit it's referred to as the "selector lever cup?"
- they also have it available separately - a different looking "Shift Selector Lever 251.711.973"
- gowesty's kit web page refers to it as "shifter elbow (and pin)" or they have a new billet aluminum "shifter selector lever elbow"

This is confusing, but I'm guessing all versions (and names) will work for the 1983-1/2 Vanagon.

Thanks
David

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
davidbaldwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: having a hard time finding 1st, usually get reverse instead! Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Have an 83 1/2 Vanagon. The shift linkage broke so I ordered the shift linkage kit from gowesty and my mechanic replaced those parts. Now, it's a lot tighter, the "spring tension" in the shift lever keeps it far right in line with 3rd and 4th. I have a real hard time finding 1st, usually ending up in reverse instead (without having to push down on the shifter to get it over to reverse).

The nylon tabs at the front box are in very good shape surprisingly, and prior to the linkage breaking, it shifted quite well into 1st, 2nd, 3rd and reverse. 4th was a bit tricky.

So what has happened here? What tips should I give my mechanic? As far as I remember, before when it was in neutral, it was pretty much in the middle and it was straight ahead to 1st and straight back to 2nd. Had to push down, then move up to the left to get in reverse. Now, "straight ahead" would put me in third and straight back would be 4th. Moving the shift lever to the left (without depressing it) gets me into reverse.

I think that alignment is the clue. What do I tell my mechanic?
Thanks for any assistance!
Dave
babywindow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I am having a hard time finding 1st. Reply with quote

Old post, but here's a pretty good description of the adjustment.

http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=178

If you have to tell your mechanic how to fix things, time for a new mechanic.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: I am having a hard time finding 1st. Reply with quote

You need to adjust your spline. Up towards the front. You use a spacer up on the box. See post #7
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=646105&highlight=shifter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: