Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PDX Vanagon Electrical Re-wire
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: PDX Vanagon Electrical Re-wire Reply with quote

Let me preface this by saying I have not begun to jump in to the electrical on my van. I have a two battery set up, and I am on the fence on whether I should study up on ALL THE ISSUES related to getting this electrical system running the way I want, or just dropping it off to someone who understands and can just knock it out for me while I am in Portland later this week.

I am not even sure if I know what I need, other than (I think) I want all the accessories running off one battery, driving systems on another, and a charging system that gets both batteries up together (or let's me decide), and perhaps lets me plug in when necessary (RV spots I guess?). I will probably want at least one extra battery sometime, and eventually some solar as well.

So I guess a couple of questions...can anyone point me towards what they believe to be the most awesomest electrical setup ever in the history of vanagon ownership, with some detail of what is going on. Second, Anyone in PDX down to bust out said electrical set up for me this weekend?
My life is a DIY project, but unfortunately electrical is my weakness.

I am driving up to demo my new construction software to some companies, and to run the Helvatia Half marathon, then maybe veg in Manzanita for a night (WOO!), so if you want some business consulting or a stellar software demo for your construction company, or want to come run with me, hit me up! Thanks

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electrical is really one of those personal things, not certain too many shops are up for doing it for you. There are any number of different wiring possibilities as seen by the numerous combinations posted on this forum.

Perhaps the Samba standard is either the GW auxiliary kit or the Yandina (or SurePower) combiners. Either of those options will do what you want - accessories off the house battery, starting and lighting off the main. As for charging when plugged in, that's simply adding a battery charger and keeping it plugged into the outlet under the sink. This is a basic set-up, it can get wildly complicated from there.

If you're in town for a bit and have the opportunity to link up with him, PDX Westy has a really beautifully designed and executed 3-battery + PV system worth checking out. I'd be happy to show you what I have (far more basic than PDX's, though still functional) and attempt to help you draw something up - and while either set-up might not be to your liking, it will certainly give you some ideas.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey. Auxiliary wiring is certainly a topic that brings up a lot of opinions. I don't think there is a shop that really knows vanagons that would or could do this for you on short notice. Unfortunately I'm heading out of town this weekend for 4 days and won't be around or it would be fun to get together. I think if you think about the set up you want and take it in short incremental steps, it's a lot less complicated and daunting. What I put together was fun and a good learning experience. It worked for what I wanted to accomplish but isn't what everyone needs.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: PDX Vanagon Electrical Re-wire Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:
Let me preface this by saying I have not begun to jump in to the electrical on my van. I have a two battery set up, and I am on the fence on whether I should study up on ALL THE ISSUES related to getting this electrical system running the way I want, or just dropping it off to someone who understands and can just knock it out for me while I am in Portland later this week.

I am not even sure if I know what I need, other than (I think) I want all the accessories running off one battery, driving systems on another, and a charging system that gets both batteries up together (or let's me decide), and perhaps lets me plug in when necessary (RV spots I guess?). I will probably want at least one extra battery sometime, and eventually some solar as well.

There's lots of pics/info here about various aux battery, solar etc setups. With that said....

Find a nice fuse block, with room to expand and run your circuits from there.

I started out with one or two things directly from the aux battery. I didn't really plan on having more stuff. Things grew a little. Now I have inline fuses in various spots. Not the best set up.

Makes for an interesting manual for the next guy though.

"Fridge fan fuse: under sink area. No wait. It's behind the driver seat. No, uh, maybe somewhere in the aux battery area?" Wink

Neil.

to give you an idea. I'm sure there's better ones:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "awesomest electrical system ever" may not be the best for your needs. Example: Some folks go all out with solar panels, 2 auxiliary batteries, 12 fuse aux box . . . Most of us can get by with less than that.

A few ideas, from a 12 volt gumby who has managed to stitch together a reasonable electrical system.

It's pretty easy to do yourself, and also satisfying. Basic 12 volt electric knowledge is great to have over time, as you will make changes to your system and do not want to be going to the mechanic every time you need to run a new wire.

If you DO want to hire it out, madspaniard on this forum hired a marine electrician and he did some fine work. Also, search Craigslist for "12 volt" and you'll likely find car stereo installer guys who could do it for you, and pretty cheap as well. Watch them while they work and try to learn.

For a basic setup, here are some parts that work fine for me and many others on this forum. Get these, play around with them, and have fun!

- Yandina voltage sensitive relay (search online)
- Blue Sea systems 6 plug aux fuse box (West Marine online)
- a battery charger (as 1621 suggested) that plugs into the outlet under the sink and charges your aux battery when you are plugged into shore power.
- a decent but cheap multimeter
- a few rolls of wire in various gauges
- a combo pack of various butt splices and terminal ends
- a dozen blade fuses of various sizes

This will get you started, and be the spare parts kit when you decide to make changes or add a new wire. Your needs will grow, as was mentioned above.

Go for it, have fun, learn a new skill!

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty good so far...maybe I should goback and re-name the thread to "how noobz can creep into the most awesomest electrical set-up!"

One issue, is that I am sporting a weekender, so the whole shore power thing to me seems entirely unobtanium.

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:

One issue, is that I am sporting a weekender, so the whole shore power thing to me seems entirely unobtanium.

Depends on how you want to set it up. Myself, getting a stock shore power hook-up from a junk yard and mounting it in a "stock" location would probably never happen. But you could just mount a weather proof Junction box (home depot, etc) in an outside location somewhere under the van and run it to where ever you decide to mount your charger. Easier than the J-box, would be an appropriate grade extension cord from somewhere near the license plate door to the mounted charger.

kinda depends on how clean or "6th grade science project" you want to be about this.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call Tom or Brad at Halsey and just ask. He is a really straight up guy and will let you know. Tell him Jeffrey (Carter(zest)) told him to treat you right.....! Then, based on his quote, either decide to have them do it or do it yourself.

I have spent lots of good money there over the years on things I did not have time to do myself. If you have done your research you can get things done right the first time at a reasonable cost.
vannygun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine installed a battery isolater/combiner. It charges both batteries from the alternator but isolates the electrically so when one battery dies the other is uneffected. If you were to accidentally drain your battery and cant start the van, flip a switch on the isolater and it links the two batteries in parallel(a clean jumpstart). He uses it on a jeep, he has a separate battery for his winch and has used the parallel feature for more amperage on heavy loads with the winch and yes he has left his lights on and drained the first battery then flip of a switch back to 12volts and starts right up. I will ask him tuesday what brand and part number.
2006 jeep commander
pinealservo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably fit an outdoor outlet box with a flip-up door (I'm thinking of the kind you see on porches/patios of houses) somewhere in the engine bay just inside the license plate door. Wire it up into the cabinet in the back, where you could put a regular home outlet box with a GFCI. Also run AC wire to wherever you plan on storing your battery charger (under the rear-facing driver's side seat?), and possibly another outlet next to your removable kitchenette thing if there's room. It would be a good idea to talk to an electrician to make sure you do the AC wiring safely.

Honestly, I don't see a big use for shore power aside from hooking up a charger to provide quick and easy recharging in the garage. I'd rather camp away from places that have electrical outlets. I'm tempted to get something like the Xantrex Freedom HF1000, which is a charger/inverter/AC passthru combo that's designed for boats/RVs/etc., but it's kind of expensive and would take up a good chunk of storage space, and is probably overkill for my needs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: