Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoWesty 2300cc kit for 1.9l questions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: GoWesty 2300cc kit for 1.9l questions Reply with quote

So I have a rebuilt 1.9l in my doka. It runs fine now and emissions are good, but in looking at the options, I see that GoWesty is starting to sell rebuilding kits, as opposed to rebuilt engines

The 2300cc kit is attractive for the following reasons:

I can do most of the work myself
    Runs 'ok' on 87 octane
    Can keep the stock wiring/fuel injection system
    I am going to larger circumference tires, so with the lower rpm, I will need more torque, not that I don't need it now...
    No core charge

So from what I can tell the kits don't have everything you get with a rebuild. What else is needed?

Cylinder heads for one, but what else is needed?
    Gaskets
    New main and camshaft bearings
    Any block machining needed?
    Anything else??

Has anyone gone through this?
(please no responses on how great subies or inline 4's are, I don't want that)
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at doing this, realised I needed a garage and backed out. Don't forget you DO have a core charge on this kit, to the tune of close to a grand if I remember right. Other things you need in my humble opinion:

An oil cooler, a real one, sandwich plate, thermostat, radiator, fan the whole 9. These engines needed this from stock and making the displacement larger will only increase the need.

A camshaft, I'm pretty sure Lucas is using regrinds and there are some pretty compelling reasons to stay away from reground VW cams. Others may chime in at will.

Exhaust pieces, at a minimum all the hardware and gaskets, replace the nasty bits.

Water pump (stock)
Oil Pump (from Rocky Jennings with the o-rings added)
Oil Pressure switches, thermostat, Temp II sensor, all the hoses on the engine… you know good maintenance stuff
Machined Flywheel, probably do a clutch too since you're in there
intake manifold hoses

M8 bolts, washers, nuts and assorted hardware, I think stainless is better then carbon steel for the stuff you see.

Probably other stuff too but this is the first bit. Make sure to post photos and build info as you get through it!

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think GoWesty offers a decent set of components, but the price is pretty high. Here are the typical street prices for some of the components they are offering:

Stroked and counterweighted crank: $425 (DPR)
Rebuilt rods: $99.00 (Van Cafe)
Reground cam: $79.00 (Web Camshafts)

This only equals $604.00, so one way to look at it is that you are paying $1390 for the J&E pistons and bored out cylinders. Any way you look at it, it represents a typical Go Westy situation of high mark-up. BTW, some of the parts in the rebuild kit do have a core charge.

The other components you would need for the basic rebuild are:

gasket set
main bearing set
cam bearing set
oil pump
upgraded rear main seal (since the one supplied in the kit tends to leak from the git go)

You can have Rimco rebuild your heads for about $425 for the pair, but I'd start with AMC castings if your engine still has the VW heads on it.

Sometimes it seems that the propaganda being dispersed makes people think that the only dependable rebuilds are the ones that Go Westy sells. However the truth is that a carefully assembled wasserboxer with the pistons traveling up to proper deck height, quality rebuilt rods with solid bolts, the correct cam grind, and an oil pump carefully fitted to the case will be an excellent engine.

I like your commitment to the wasserboxer. There's nothing wrong with keeping it all VW.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swapped my 1.9L 1985 westy to the 2.3L Gowesty motor. Nothing but problems. 1st engine melted piston at 1000 miles....had to fight for a warranty, 2nd motor, same meltdown. Then they redesigned there pistons, and we put a set in. So far about 15000 miles and no problems, but watch out for detonation. We are in for $11 000. Good Luck, and if you have a warranty issue, you'll need even better luck.
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a guy locally who has a 2.1 block/2300, and he says it is a good engine.

Regarding the GW markup, that is part and parcel of the development costs of these engines. There are other engine rebuilders out there that do a nice job, but no one is doing as much as GW to develop and debug the wbx.

Anyway, thanks for the comments.
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a core to start with that's great. Get it, strip it, order the kit, you'll have to sit on the core charge maybe a week! I agree that the fact the the GW kit is plug and play is nice, there isn't any on the fly development work needed. There are other ways of building as good an engine (or better) but you need to tinker with them a lot to get it right.

Keep us posted, sounds like a sweet project!

Paul
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget, you are still starting with a case that could be marginal...a friend of mine that works at an indy VW shop says regardless of the rebuilder, almost half of the engine rebuilds that come out of there shop have oil pressure issues. (rebuilt by them or someone else). So dumping $2k into a rebuild is always risky when you are dealing with a 25 year old case.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW -- I have the GoWesty 1.9L rebuilt as a 2.2L. Have driven it for a bit more than 4 years and 30,000 miles with zero problems.

As with most vendors, this is very much a YMMV statement -- just sayin'... it sure worked for me and the power increase (seat of the pants) was pronounced.

I realize everyone needs to weigh the $ vs time and whether they want to and can do the rebuild themselves -- I already have a couple of cars that I spend my time working on, a quality rebuild crated and delivered was very appealing to me.
wallanoise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GW 2300 has been running excellent for almost 3 years now. I believe if you follow their break in guidelines and regularly maintain your vehicle you shouldn't encounter any abnormal issues.
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the other question, is with a 2300, on hills where you used to downshift to 3rd, do you not have to downshift anymore?
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keithwwalker wrote:
I guess the other question, is with a 2300, on hills where you used to downshift to 3rd, do you not have to downshift anymore?

When I went from a 1.9 to a 2.2 I could feel the difference the first time I took a roadtrip in the fully-loaded Westy. Arizona I-10 between Benson and Willcox takes you up & over Texas Canyon (no idea why what is clearly a summit is called a canyon). With the 1.9 I would have to drop into 3rd before I reached the top of that grade, with the 2.2 I stayed in 4th.

Okay, that may have been a tired 1.9 v a fresh 2.2 but any increase in displacement can only help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: