Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

When it's too good to be true ...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tozovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
If you set a reserve price on that Carat at $7500 he might be one or two bidders. By having no reserve he might have dozens of people following it closely and then like sharks after a kill they will kill themselves at the last minute to win the bid. He may well make an extra grand or two by starting the bidding at a buck.

I use a bidding service or just bid at the last minute. Either I get it or I don't, no auction fever here.

Well put.

Another thing I do, is bid early. I'll put a low bid in early on during the auction. It's actually meaningless but I feel it's sort of the "Shot across the bow" that lets the seller know I'm in the game. Its always annoying to me when I get sniped by someone not showing up until the last 5 seconds. LOL. Sort of my way of not being what annoys me Smile

'83 1.6TD
DX 5 Speed
"Whistler"
www.sinisterbikes.com
IH1972
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Salt wrote:
Quote:
As my daughter gets closer to getting her drivers license, it makes me a bit nervous to have a vehicle with a bed in the back. You know what I’m sayin’.

Hahaha

Oh man.

When I was a senior in high school, I had a '71 camper that was my daily. I went to pick up this gal for a date and her old man took a look at the bus, looked at his daughter, and then reached in his pocket for the keys to his Delta 88 and said, "Here, take my car, son".

Those old 88's have amazingly large rear seats...
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where there's a teenager, there is a way...
Laughing
Mundopacheco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wump, the automatic is a lovely thing to some. That Carat, low to the ground, loaded with good rubber, is an in-town dream.
So what happens if multiple bidders are using sniper tools?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pachec wrote:
Wump, the automatic is a lovely thing to some. That Carat, low to the ground, loaded with good rubber, is an in-town dream.
So what happens if multiple bidders are using sniper tools?

Simple dude, draw or you are a dead bid, pilgrim, this Ebay is not big enough for the both of us Laughing Laughing Laughing

No second Place winner :2gunfire:

In town Question Question

Assuming, which I believe I am safe to do, that the Carat and the Wolfsburg are one and the same thing, I drove cross country with mine and am planning a trip up to the Olympic Peninsula

In town Question Question

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
scobax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll play devil's advocate for the sniping services, off topic as it may be...

The snipe tools catch a lot of heat, but they are technically playing by the rules. The name of the game is highest bidder. It makes no difference if that highest bidder bids five days or five seconds before the end of the auction. If multiple sniping services and "live" bidders enter bids in the last few seconds, the highest bidder still comes out on top.

I find it funny how some folks will embrace technology but only to a point, as if there is something inherently pure about bidding for items online with a computer. What if you have a notoriously slow internet connection, or perhaps, you won't be in front of a computer when the auction ends? If you set your max bid high enough, you can't lose. The last five seconds doesn't change a thing about that.

If any other bidders max-bid is high enough, snipe or not, they will win the item, simple as that. A snipe bid that wins would have won anyway if it's max is higher than those of the other bidders. It will also lose if the max bid entered with the snipe program wasn't high enough.

What the practice does is keeps the type of bidder who obsesses and keeps talking themselves into higher and higher max bids from getting caught up in the irrationality of the moment. I call it "auction fever". Set your max bid as high as is reasonable for you and walk away. If you don't win, so be it. I've seen lots of stuff go right through the roof, and in some cases well beyond the retail cost for a new item that may be available at a local store just because somebody gets caught up in the moment.

Another reason to use a sniping tool is to avoid shill biding. A shill is a friend or colleague of the auction poster who will engage a real bidder in a "bidding war" to run up the price for the seller when that real bidder happens along. If you don't indicate your interest early by bidding, then there is no time for the shill to enter a bid.

Of course, by not bidding early enough, the auction poster can withdraw the auction at the last minute if no-one has bid on the item, thus saving themselves any posting fees from eBay. In that case, the snipe concept would work against you.

“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong, that's when adventure starts” -Yvon Chouinard

"It's not expensive, its priceless" -Unknown
Mundopacheco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VisPacem, I say 'in town' because I really don't like the automatic on long trips. That third gear is not tall enough for me, but I love it in the city. Oh and, I do drive in the city and occasionally drive long distances, like the 5K trip to the east coast I just returned from in my 88 Westy, or the 4K trip I did last year and the year before that to Mx in my 91 Syncro AW, and then there was...........
BTW On this last trip, I broke my all time 'miles driven in one day' record of 1115 miles, by one mile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: