Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

keyless power door locks revisited...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: keyless power door locks revisited... Reply with quote

okay so some of you may remember this write up i did...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=261047

this replaced the OEM actuators with aftermarket pieces and installed a remote module and relay.

this worked great for me until my dumb window leak water onto the module.

so i finally got off my ass to replace it, and decided to simplify it a bit since i didn't really care about the master control from the front doors. allowing you to lock all doors with the key. i will just use the remote or if i don't have that just lock them all manually.

when i went to get the new alarm module at the car audio shop the owner drew up a diagram to replace the specialized MES relay with normal bosch 30a relays and i thought i'd share that since it's very useful.

you can still use the method in my old post as all that still works fine, but if you get an alarm and don't care about the master controlling actuators you can use this method with all actuators being the cheaper 2 wire variation.

i'm a bit lazy to draw the diagram, but it's very simple so i'll give it a shot and see if text can cover it.

basically you have the alarm/keyless module and that has two output wires that send a pulse out when you hit the buttons. on my Code Alarm they are blue/green. you can't just run those to the two wire actuators, you have to run them thru relays.

so get two bosch relays with pins 86,85,30,87, and 87a. the 87a is important as some relays do not have it. both relays are wired the same...

87 -> fused constant 12v
85 -> fused constant 12v
86 -> control module signal wire
30 -> actuator wire
87a -> ground

when you wire it up, solder it all up except the #30's to the actuators. first twist those on and test the remote. if you hit lock and they unlock and vice versa then you need to swap the #30 wires/actuator wires.

that's it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
bluntlunchbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: keyless power door locks revisited... Reply with quote

vwlovr wrote:
okay so some of you may remember this write up i did...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=261047

this replaced the OEM actuators with aftermarket pieces and installed a remote module and relay.

this worked great for me until my dumb window leak water onto the module.

so i finally got off my ass to replace it, and decided to simplify it a bit since i didn't really care about the master control from the front doors. allowing you to lock all doors with the key. i will just use the remote or if i don't have that just lock them all manually.

when i went to get the new alarm module at the car audio shop the owner drew up a diagram to replace the specialized MES relay with normal bosch 30a relays and i thought i'd share that since it's very useful.

you can still use the method in my old post as all that still works fine, but if you get an alarm and don't care about the master controlling actuators you can use this method with all actuators being the cheaper 2 wire variation.

i'm a bit lazy to draw the diagram, but it's very simple so i'll give it a shot and see if text can cover it.

basically you have the alarm/keyless module and that has two output wires that send a pulse out when you hit the buttons. on my Code Alarm they are blue/green. you can't just run those to the two wire actuators, you have to run them thru relays.

so get two bosch relays with pins 86,85,30,87, and 87a. the 87a is important as some relays do not have it. both relays are wired the same...

87 -> fused constant 12v
85 -> fused constant 12v
86 -> control module signal wire
30 -> actuator wire
87a -> ground

when you wire it up, solder it all up except the #30's to the actuators. first twist those on and test the remote. if you hit lock and they unlock and vice versa then you need to swap the #30 wires/actuator wires.

that's it.

I've found some good info on how to install an alarm/keyless entry, but I still can't seem to find out about "relays". I also have purchased a CODE alarm but model#CA1151. It says it has "on board door lock/unlock relays" and I currently have factory power locks. Can I still hook everything up minus the relays? I called crutchfield and tech support says I "should be ok", but was hoping someone in the Vanagon forum had run across this.

http://audiovox2.info/docs/voxx/CodeAlarm_Mini_Catalog.pdf
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my guess is no.

this relay set up is super easy though and 12v relays are easy to find. does the description of how to wire it make sense?

my other power door locks post shows how to wire it with a special relay that includes handling of a "master" lock, this requires a special actuator for the drivers door. if all you actuators use 2 wires then you're better off using the relay method i describe. if you're trying to hook up the alarm to the stock actuators then i can't really help you as i have not done it. even still, i think you'd need to relay those.

see my other post on my initial install to at least see what the stock wiring for the stock actuators looks like.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It says it has "on board door lock/unlock relays"

This means exactly what it sounds like; the unit has relays built in, so you don't need any external ones to operate door actuators. I have this unit:

http://www.amazon.com/Crimestopper-CS-870-RKE-Keyless-Entry-System/dp/B0027ZH8P6

...and it has the same feature. Works great, nothing else needed.

Hooking it up to a factory harness is another discussion that I won't be much help with, as my van didn't have the factory power locks, and mine is entirely aftermarket.

Robyn
TDI-Ray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: keyless power door locks revisited... Reply with quote

Hi,

I bought a two door MES kit with the five wire actuators to replace my two OE actuators that are beyond repair. Can the MES actuators by wired to the existing wiring and work without using the control modual that came with the kit. i have looked everywhere online to find wire diagram for the 5 wire actuator and can't find one. Has anyone tried this or do I need to run a fifth wire or the whole wire bundle that came with the kit? i just finished fixing all the broken wires at the door hinge.

Also I was planning to use the OE actuators in the sliding door and rear. Will they work just connected to the two wire connector meant for the rear doors?

Thanks for any help,

Ray
'89 "Blue Star"; '96 Passat TDI Wgn; '97 Passat TDI Sdn
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: keyless power door locks revisited... Reply with quote

TDI-Ray wrote:
Hi,

I bought a two door MES kit with the five wire actuators to replace my two OE actuators that are beyond repair. Can the MES actuators by wired to the existing wiring and work without using the control modual that came with the kit. i have looked everywhere online to find wire diagram for the 5 wire actuator and can't find one. Has anyone tried this or do I need to run a fifth wire or the whole wire bundle that came with the kit? i just finished fixing all the broken wires at the door hinge.

Also I was planning to use the OE actuators in the sliding door and rear. Will they work just connected to the two wire connector meant for the rear doors?

Thanks for any help,

Ray
'89 "Blue Star"; '96 Passat TDI Wgn; '97 Passat TDI Sdn

I believe when I installed my mes kit I used the wiring that came with the unit.

Maybe you can try it on the existing one by wiring it to the factory and see if it works. If not then you can use the one that came with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those actuators even mount up to the factory brackets. One of the reasons to use the full kit is that it gives you the opportunity to bypass the original wiring, which is becoming problematic due to flex breaks in the harness.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: