Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flex Plate center blew out. Transaxle cracked. Pics. How to fix?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
damagd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Flex Plate center blew out. Transaxle cracked. Pics. How to fix? Reply with quote

I heard some rattling while driving and then a loud kind of thud sound like something had broke loose and I had no power. Coasted to a stop and cut the engine and went back to inspect. Everything looked fine, but when I tried to start it back up it didn't turn over at all and I only heard the whirring of the flywheel and torque converter. Had someone else turn the key while I looked and the crank was not turning at all while the flywheel was. I put a socket on the bolt at the front of the crank and rotated it and it rotated it and felt as it should, but the flywheel didn't move with it. Any idea what could have happened? It's been single digits here in PA if that means anything. Getting ready to drop the engine to fully inspect, just wanted to get some insight first. Thanks.

Last edited by damagd on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:32 pm; edited 4 times in total
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel has become detached from Crankshaft? Reply with quote

If it has a torque converter, it doesn't have a flywheel, it has a drive plate (flex plate) instead. If you have an automatic, then your thread title is misleading and misleading titles reduce the odds that the right people will respond.

I would assume the drive plate bolts snapped or came loose. You might not need to drop engine or trans. You can rotate the engine and trans independently to get the bolt holes to line up (Bentley 37.6), remove any broken off leftovers, replace with new bolts, motor on.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel has become detached from Crankshaft? Reply with quote

The torque converter bolts to the flex plate, there is not a flywheel as such. You can see the flex plate through the hole in the front upper left of the crankcase, which may or may not have a plug in it any more. If the flex plate is turning then the bolts that hold the TC to the flex plate likely backed out and you may be able to replace them in situ. If the flex plate is not turning then you are going to have to do a tranny or engine pull.
damagd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Flex Plate has become detached from Crankshaft? Reply with quote

Yes, I'm sorry Flex Plate. I've edited it. And no, the FP does not turn when I turn the crank by hand. It turns with the Torque Converter when the starter is engaged. Yes, I'm going to have to drop either the engine or Trans. Which one is easier? Could all 5 of the bolts that bolt the FP to the Crank really have snapped? Is that possible?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Flex Plate has become detached from Crankshaft? Reply with quote

The centre could have broken out of your flex plate. Drop the transaxle, its quicker.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Flex Plate has become detached from Crankshaft? Reply with quote

I agree with Jake, drop it. Thoes bolls are hard to get too. Use some loctite on the new bolts when re-assembling
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Flex Plate has become detached from Crankshaft? Reply with quote

And when you torque them down, be sure you are aware of the error/misunderstanding in the Bentley regarding correct torque of these bolts. Do a search. Over torque these bolts and you'll be replacing a very expensive part....
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
damagd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Flex Plate has become detached from Crankshaft? Reply with quote

So I'm going to drop the transaxle tomorrow since it'll be pretty nice here in PA. Couldn't find a write up on how to do it. Does anyone know of one or some advice. Thanks.
damagd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Flex Plate center blew out. Transaxle cracked. Reply with quote

An update. Looks like the passenger side lower engine bolt that the transaxle slips over, somehow worked itself the entire way out as you can see from the pics. Obviously the transaxle dropped down a little, pulling out the center of the flex plate. Now both sides of the transaxle that slip over the engine bolts are broken out. I have the one piece as it didn't fall out until I removed the TA, but the other piece is lost forever. Short of getting a new transaxle case, what are your suggestions? I was thinking of putting back in the one piece that broke out that I still have and putting a piece of steel across it with bolts through both it and the transaxle case and fabricating a piece of steel to replace the missing piece and doing the same thing to that side. MacGyver was one of the best shows ever.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Flex Plate center blew out. Transaxle cracked. Pics. How to fix? Reply with quote

Do the full McGyver if you're desperate, but you could easily replace your bad
bellhousing with a good used one from somewhere around here....just sayin'.

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Flex Plate center blew out. Transaxle cracked. Pics. How to fix? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Do the full McGyver if you're desperate, but you could easily replace your bad
bellhousing with a good used one from somewhere around here....just sayin'.

- Dave

AFAIK the bellhousing on an auto box is one cast with the differential housing. Better to get a good used tranny
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Flex Plate center blew out. Transaxle cracked. Pics. How to fix? Reply with quote

you maybe could rig something from the lower differential pan bolts to the lower engine bolts to hold/pull the engine&trans together.. like a skid plate.
it's the fact that the engine was only held to the trans by the upper bolts allowed it to 'clamshell' and put undue twist on the flex plate..

if you need a AT differential section give this guy a call he's driving distance from Lancaster and has alot of parts, maybe has what you need.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1919335
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Flex Plate center blew out. Transaxle cracked. Pics. How to fix? Reply with quote

Make sure to check the seal hub on your torque convertor for any trace of cracking around the brazed joint, when engine and trans get misaligned for any reason a lot of strain is put on that hub and it can shear the joint. You should also be sure to replace all engine and trans mounts.

As for that broken bellhousing, I agree you're probably best off shopping for another trans, and of course you'll need another drive plate, flywheel seal, etc.

Don't forget McGyver was a fantasy, his jury-rigs only had to survive that scene.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Flex Plate center blew out. Transaxle cracked. Pics. How to fix? Reply with quote

Watch the classifieds for a used differential. If the ring gear looks good the unit is probably good. You will want to fully reseal the final drive though which is a bit technical but can be done by anyone if they use enough care.

If you opt for a replacement torque convertor, you want to use the "Z" or "H" torque converter from a later Vanagon and not the earlier AC version.
damagd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Flex Plate center blew out. Transaxle cracked. Pics. How to fix? Reply with quote

Awesome suggestions. Thank you. Checked the seal hub on my torque convertor . Looked good. Never would have thought to check there. My biggest concern with getting a new/used case is transferring everything over and the technicality/time involved. Love the line about MacGyver's rig's only having to survive one scene. Great perspective check.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Flex Plate center blew out. Transaxle cracked. Pics. How to fix? Reply with quote

had a car we sold at the dealer. some auction pig. it broke 3 flex plates before I got it.

the dowel pins to keep the trans and engine in line were missing. moral of the story here is if you can't properly align the engine and trans you will be doing this over and over again.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Flex Plate center blew out. Transaxle cracked. Pics. How to fix? Reply with quote

on the VW flat 4 the alignment is set by the little ridge that rings the bellhousing.. so that should still align the center line fine.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Flex Plate center blew out. Transaxle cracked. Pics. How to fix? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
on the VW flat 4 the alignment is set by the little ridge that rings the bellhousing.. so that should still align the center line fine.

right, but if he can't get even clamping torque from the engine to bell interface even a little movement stresses the FP. kind of doesn't look like there is an easy way out of this one.

although not ideal, if he has the broken pieces they could be welded.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Flex Plate center blew out. Transaxle cracked. Pics. How to fix? Reply with quote

Full engine torque, inertia, gravity and shock loads from bumps in the road are all acting on that housing. I can't imagine wanting to rig it considering the high cost of parts and labor if it were to fail again. It could easily take out the engine also next time. The time to rescue the van, pull the trans again, etc... along with the stress caused by knowing a cobbled solution could fail are all things to factor into your decision. If it were mine, I would at minimum replace the diff section and more likely the entire trans just for ease of work.
damagd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Flex Plate center blew out. Transaxle cracked. Pics. How to fix? Reply with quote

Yeah, I've abandoned any hope of trying to stitch it together and am leaning towards just getting a whole new transaxle (probably from GoWesty), as the Transmission has over 200k on it and leaks anyway, but i will do a quick search to see if I can find a Differential case somewhere first.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: