Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scott's 59 Cabriolet
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottDoonan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Scott's 59 Cabriolet Reply with quote

Was able to remove the old air box and tube today. The suergery went well all in all. Will clean up metal tommorow, then begin on the drivers side. I will be fabricating a few pieces on the passenger side which are full of cancer then reconstructing the air vent system with a mix of NOS, used, and new metal. More photos in the gallery.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ScottDoonan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Scott's 59 Reply with quote

I have begun to fabricate a new air box by measuring and templating a NOS passenger side box. I used a heavy grade poster stle paper and cut and trimmed until I was able to make a exact replica of the shape. Then it was easy to transfer scribe the shapes to a piece of 22ga sheet metal which is sprayed with lay out dye. I am finishing off the 3 portion of the box tonight. I will cut the shapes out tommorrow and resistance weld it after I bend the 1/4 inch flanges. I hope to have it done by tommorrow and will post more picts in my gallery. Any of you can do this, it is not that hard. As you know it is becoming harder and harder to find parts, and with a decient model you can re-produce a copy of something with simple tools and a little time.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like that is a later air box, not a lowlight box. The low light air boxes are slightly different. I don't know the precise differences, but the most obvious is the part where the nostril fits. There is a bigger flange on the inner fender panel side for the nostril to attach to. I have a pic in my gallery of what I am talking about. There is a view of my 57 coupe inner fender where you can see the flanges better. If you realize more differences please let us know.
HouseofGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loren wrote:
It looks like that is a later air box, not a lowlight box. The low light air boxes are slightly different. I don't know the precise differences, but the most obvious is the part where the nostril fits. There is a bigger flange on the inner fender panel side for the nostril to attach to. I have a pic in my gallery of what I am talking about. There is a view of my 57 coupe inner fender where you can see the flanges better. If you realize more differences please let us know.

I believe the overall dimensions are the same with the exception of the nostril opening as mentioned. The parts book shows one part number for all boxes. I think the inside upper corner of the opening is closed in to accommodate the early nostril.

I should be able to provide a template for that opening if needed.
ScottDoonan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Air box construction Reply with quote

The box which I have is actually exactly the same size that was on the car. I have both sides to measure from and have seen both boxes early and late. I still will have to make the part which is welded to the nostril and connects to the box. You probably have one in your garage looking at your restoration, but I snapped a couple of picts for the fourm anyway.The way I see it is goes nose skin (nostril inlet), duct which connects the nostril to air box, air tube, then air inlet where the air exchangers are near dash. Of course I am not using the correct fatory names or jargen for the parts, but hopefully you all can see what I am saying. At any rate thanks for the heads up I did have to go out and measued as well as tripple check. I will show more progression or (digression) as it comes. Thank you for the heads up

Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic of my 57 project. It sounds like the only difference is the larger flange around the opening of the fresh air box.

It is a little hard to see, but I am talking about the flange that is attached to the inner fender panel, see how much larger it is than the one on the NOS air box you have? If this is the only difference then you are home free. I will have to keep this in mind when I weld a new one in on my 57.
ScottDoonan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Air box re make Reply with quote

My re made air box, demenionaly the same as the original rotting one removed from the car, and the opposite side nos one. You could probably buy a re pop for $100 but why? I will finish off bottom tommorow and tig on the front profile which is correct for low light nostril. The beat goes on....

Kais Collection Premium Member
vintage treasures

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work dude!!

Kai's Collection - vintage treasures
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ScottDoonan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Air box resto Reply with quote

Paper template is done will fab and finish tommorrow.
ScottDoonan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Air box Reply with quote

Done, All in all pretty spot on fit wise. Now a quick coat of weld through 3m primer, followed by a nice thin coat of POR 15 on interior duct surfaces.

ScottDoonan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a Arrow

Last edited by ScottDoonan on Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
ScottDoonan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Scott's 59 Reply with quote

Slow and steady removal and replace of passenger inner wing.
Karmann Gheezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, I got to hand it to you. You got kahoonas. This would be a nightmare to me. d'oh!
Restoring the car from bare metal is one thing. But dissecting and rebuilding it is another. My hats off to you sir. Great work.
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karmann Gheezer wrote:
Scott, I got to hand it to you. You got kahoonas. This would be a nightmare to me. d'oh!
Restoring the car from bare metal is one thing. But dissecting and rebuilding it is another. My hats off to you sir. Great work.

Exclamation X2 Exclamation
ScottDoonan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Scott's 59 Cab Reply with quote

One spot weld at a time working slow and trying to keep it all in perspective, sounds easy but as I am sure you know very frustrating...

ScottDoonan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: small steps Reply with quote

Here is the template for the nostril to air box section. You can see the portion in the photo or check my gallery. Templates out of paper till I got it right then transfer to sheet metal and cut. finally form and resistance weld (photos forth coming). A lot of you out there can do this it is not that hard try to start on small pieces, make the form out of paper like a 3 d rendering then go for it. As you all know you can't get some parts and the ones you can get are not all that good.
ScottDoonan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Scotts 59 Reply with quote

I have a question to pose to the forum as a whole. If ANYONE out there knows of or has access to a set of N.O.S inner fender wells please contact me. I know this is a tall order and I am only asking because I want to make this car as right and correct as I can. I have some calls out to contacts I have made over the years, and am using the forum for my last resort. I know it sounds like a impossible order, but I know someone out there knows where some are or may have some. I will pay TOP DOLLAR to acquire these parts. I have collected NOS fenders rockers and a small host of other parts. This restoration will take some time and patients is part of the game. I know there is a host of other options, but this is the route I going for now. When all resources and attempts are out I will go down those roads. For now if anyone can help I would be very appreciative and grateful.Thanks
vanagonswede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: inner front fender Reply with quote

try this one.
http://www.karmannghia.de/liste.php?a=1&sessio...;set_wg=32

Maybe they could help out with your problem.
ScottDoonan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Scott's 59 Reply with quote

I would like to say thank you to all of you who answered my call for help. I am greatful to all of you who took the time to drop me a line and give me some leads. This is why the Samba community is so important in keeping these cars on the road, and promoting comraderie in this hobby. I have always been afraid of posting threads and fourms for the comments, criticisms, and "high and mighty opinions from some"that I am doing it wrong. I have been VERY suprised to say the least and am greatful to all of you for the support, words of encouragement, and help. Thank you, and I look forward to showing you as much of this build and progress as I can. I hope it helps others, and it is encouraging to others to get out there and try it themselves.
Respectfully,
Scott D
ScottDoonan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Scott's 59 Reply with quote

Just recieved these NOS inner and outter rockers. I am sure the purists will say they are not correct for early ghia, but at least it is a great starting point which is German. There are some subtle changes, but nothing that can not be re worked and metal finished to make exact replicas. I am almost done with the hunt for the sheet metal I need, with a set of NOS rears and cabriolet frame stiffeners showing up soon. I am basically re building this whole car trying to use as much NOS VW stuff as I can, it has been a challenge to locate and purchase, (glad my wife is a chef and doesn't read the forums) but slowly I am gearing up for the re construction. Photos have not been posted all that much as of late because de construction is rather redundant. I will take a photo of the rears when they show up and am still trying to locate the front inner wells. I have a couple of leads which I hope pan out, but for now still hunting. Alot of people have said why didn't I just scrap the project or try to find another one? I really just feel like this particular car deserves to be brought back to life. It's always easier to quit rather than face a challenge head on. I am stoked on all the feedback from everone who reads this thread, and hope my postings and photos help others out there. Thanks again for taking your time to read this post. There is more to see in my photo gallery. The beat goes on..........

Last edited by ScottDoonan on Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 26

Jump to: